Sony debuts CarPlay-compatible infotainment unit with 8.95-inch screen

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2019
Sony has launched a range new in-car entertainment systems, headed up by the XAV-AX8000 sporting a giant 8.95-inch display and compatibility with Apple's CarPlay, along with other more compact models that include Siri Eyes Free support.

Sony XAV-AX8000 with CarPlay
Sony XAV-AX8000 with CarPlay

The XAV-AX8000's large 8.95-inch screen hovers out from the front of the infotainment unit, allowing the body of the device to fit into a single-DIN space in the dashboard. To allow it to work perfectly with a wide range of vehicle designs, the screen mount can be adjusted in three directions for the ideal display placement.

Offering CarPlay support, as well as Android Auto, the unit is able to take advantage of the iPhone's capabilities for calls, music, navigation, and other supported apps. Its WebLink Cast most can also be used to mirror a smartphone screen directly in the display, allowing non-CarPlay apps to be used.

Equipped with a four-channel amplifier that can deliver 55 watts for each channel, the system includes a two-mode bass boost system, a Dynamic Stage Organizer with a 10-band equalizer with 10 presets, and FLAC audio file support for up to 24-bit depth and a sampling frequency of 48GHz.

Able to be used with a rear-view camera and capable of waking almost immediately after the vehicle's ignition is turned on, the XAV-AX8000 is arriving in December 2019, priced at $599.99.

Sony DSX-B700 with Siri Eyes Free
Sony DSX-B700 with Siri Eyes Free

The DSX-GS80 offers a 4x100W built-in class-D amplifier capable of 4x45W under RMS, with 2-ohm multiple speaker load options, bass boost, and the Dynamic Stage Organizer. Able to be connected to two smartphones at the same time, the unit doesn't offer CarPlay support, but does have Siri Eyes Free, which allows users to speak through the entertainment system to control their smartphone.

Lastly, the DSX-B700 is a powered media receiver offering 4x55W outputs at the maximum, 4x20W under RMS. Again, smartphone connectivity is offered with dual Bluetooth connections and Siri Eyes Free, and it is also compatible with Pandora used through the driver's iPhone.

The DSX-GS80 will ship in December for $229.99, while the DSX-B700 will be available in September for $129.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    May be Sony should sell it to all auto manufacturers so they can offer larger infotainment screen. The 8" screen may be sweet spot but offering larger screen shouldn't cost more but adds better visibility thus more safety while driving and paying attention between direction/info on screen and on road.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    That is one butt ugly head unit and at that price it is going to sound like one of those blister pack units sold at Wal-Mart.

With most brands now deeply integrating the audio system into the car’s other systems I’m guessing the aftermarket audio biz is a shrinking ice cube.

• Reply 3 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Are there any of these things that just tuck into the standard space like this one but without the massive screen?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I like that the XAV-AX8000 has a few real, tactile buttons (especially for volume) and a big screen but sadly it lacks wireless CarPlay -- it should have it at a $600 price point. Nice to see a real volume knob on the DSX-B700. I can't tell if the DSX-GS80 has a volume knob or not.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

cornchip said:
    Are there any of these things that just tuck into the standard space like this one but without the massive screen?
    Are you looking for a screen big enough for CarPlay in a 1 DIN space?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    linkman said:

cornchip said:
    Are you looking for a screen big enough for CarPlay in a 1 DIN space?
    I mean... I see your point. Seems like you could just have a single scroll setup; I suppose it would be less than ideal. Perhaps a screen that retracts back into the space so you don’t have to look at it all the time? I dunno. Guess you can’t always have everything.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Single DIN only?  Hmmm...2005 was a long time ago...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Would rather have a normal sized capacitive screen and wireless CarPlay than single DIN large resistive screen.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cornchip said:
    I would skip this Sony unit.

The features on the head unit are not bad, however the lack of a hi definition capacitive screen sucks. You will never want to go back to a resistive screen after going capacitive.

If you must have wireless Apple Car Play and want a high quality screen then I would go for the Kenwood DDX9905S, DDX9906XR or the Pioneer X4400 series. On top of that you will need to purchase a proper dash kit, and wiring harness. I highly suggest you get a iDataLink Maestro with the proper aftermarket harness from iDataLink for your vehicle. If your car came with Sirius, XM or Sirius XM then you can probably just get a a iDatalink Sirius XM antenna adapter and use the existing satellite radio antenna.

To save some money you can go with an older capacitive head unit, like the DDX9903s or DDX9904s. These may be refurbs, but are going to be half the price of a new Kenwood unit.

edited August 2019 entropysemig647
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Will it do that "beep boo beep boo. Beep boo beep boo" thing because if it does count me out. I freaking hate that sound and there's no way to turn it off aside from popping the faceplate off a little. I know it's a security thing but where the hell am I going to put a stereo faceplate? I'm a guy not a chick with a purse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    lakorai3 said:
    cornchip said:
    I would skip this Sony unit.

The features on the head unit are not bad, however the lack of a hi definition capacitive screen sucks. You will never want to go back to a resistive screen after going capacitive.

If you must have wireless Apple Car Play and want a high quality screen then I would go for the Kenwood DDX9905S, DDX9906XR or the Pioneer X4400 series. On top of that you will need to purchase a proper dash kit, and wiring harness. I highly suggest you get a iDataLink Maestro with the proper aftermarket harness from iDataLink for your vehicle. If your car came with Sirius, XM or Sirius XM then you can probably just get a a iDatalink Sirius XM antenna adapter and use the existing satellite radio antenna.

To save some money you can go with an older capacitive head unit, like the DDX9903s or DDX9904s. These may be refurbs, but are going to be half the price of a new Kenwood unit.

Exactly. If I as to go Sony I would get the low end carplay unit with the volume knob. But they are too far behind the units you mention.

Today I am installing a Kenwood mechless unit with wireless carplay with reverse camera and Kenwood dash cam that integrates with the head unit. It is a double DIN unit though. Cheaper than this Sony and has a 7 inch capacitive screen and wireless carplay.
    if you want carplay in a single din space you are probably limited to Alpine or this Sony. The unit will need a pop out screen.

edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I usually do the installs myself but didn’t have time before moving. I had a friend that runs a car audio shop install an alpine pdx 9 amp and type R speakers all around. While he had my vehicle for a few days he loaned me his 4Runner with all Sony products. He set it up that way since Sony had a price point many of his customers would consider. He also told me Sony went back to the drawing board recently and are taking car audio very seriously. I was blown away how far Sony has come since the days of Xplod. The head unit was also capacitive touch. The only thing missing in his setup was a little midbass but he tuned it for that, and I didn’t want to screw with his settings. 

I’m also not a fan of wireless CarPlay because of the loss of audio quality, so it wouldn’t matter to me. I would definitely consider a Sony head unit in the future, maybe even speakers too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    emig647 said:
    I’m also not a fan of wireless CarPlay because of the loss of audio quality
    You must not realize that wireless CarPlay uses WiFi and a lossless codec like AirPlay does - there is no loss of audio quality.
    MacProwatto_cobra