Nintendo's 'Mario Kart Tour' hits iOS on Sept. 25, preorders open now

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2019
After a missed launch date in March, the hotly anticipated mobile debut of Nintendo's Mario Kart franchise, "Mario Kart Tour," is slated to arrive on iOS and Android devices in late September.

Nintendo announced the new release date in a tweet on Monday, saying the popular racing game lands on devices running Apple's iOS and Google's Android on Sept. 25.

Apple's Japanese App Store Twitter account followed up with its own tweet, saying the title will be available for iPhone and iPad, while the U.S. App Store account followed suit with its own teaser. Embedded in both App Store tweets is an in-game clip showing the game's classic "rocket start" maneuver and regional pre-order links.

Let's go!

Pre-order @NintendoAmerica's Mario Kart Tour now: https://t.co/PwPKQkr5IE pic.twitter.com/LBgGKUSH1r

-- App Store (@AppStore)

The September launch represents the second delay for "Mario Kart Tour." Announced in January 2018, Nintendo initially expected the game to hit digital stores in in fiscal 2019, later narrowing down its launch window to March. Earlier this year, the Japanese gaming giant pushed back release to summer 2019.

Mario Kart's entrance onto the mobile scene follows past success in the space. In 2016, Nintendo partnered with Apple on its first branded offering, "Super Mario Run," which went on to rack up record downloads and in-app purchase figures. Nintendo subsequently released "Fire Emblem Heroes" and "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp" in 2017, and revived longtime franchise Dr. Mario with "Dr. Mario World" in July.

Following Mario Kart Tour, Nintendo is slated to release action role-playing game "Dragalia Lost" on Sept. 27.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    So it's free with "In-App Purchases". Hopefully this is at least similar to Mario Run rather than the freemium approach they seem to be taking now. But I assume it's more likely to be a "freemium" title. Too bad they didn't get on board with Apple Arcade like Sega has. 

Freemium obviously makes them more money so it makes sense from a business point of view to go that way. But I will continue to avoid such titles, especially for a game like this that my kids are likely to spend a long time playing. 

If the game is still fairly playable without the in-app purchases similar to Dr. Mario I will still download it though.

Edit:
    Found this on the App store description:

* Free-to-start; optional in-game purchases available. Persistent Internet, compatible smartphone, and Nintendo Account required. Data charges may apply.

* For information about our ads, please see the “How we use your information” section of the Nintendo Privacy Policy.

* May include advertising.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Dr. Mario World is still not available in my country. I wonder if this will launch sooner.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Sweet, sweet, delicious IAP.  - Nintedo
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Dragalia Lost came out last fall. I think it was Nintendo's first mobile game based on a new IP. 

As for Mario Kart Tour, it'll be interesting to see what Nintendo tweaked in response to the android beta from a few months ago. From the discussion on Twitter and YouTube and all the gameplay videos people put up, it sounded like the game has a huge gotcha element. It almost sounded like that wouldn't make the game fun, so I hope they've made some changes.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    IAP? Nope.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Why would you Pre-Pay for a Digital Download? They aren't going to run out of copies on launch day!!! Better even to wait until the reviews start coming in.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Thanks for shi**ing on Apple TV users again!!
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Thanks for shi**ing on Apple TV users again!!
    Isn't Mario Kart 8 a big game for the Switch? Why would they release this for ATV when they would MUCH rather buy their hardware to play on your TV at home?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lolliver said:

Persistent Internet required. Data charges may apply.

Fuck that then.