How to get a job at Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Are there any insiders out there who might have some insight into the process of getting a job at Apple. I've sent a resume via web, fax and mail. Since I know there are probably thousands of other resumes going into their human resource office what could set me apart from the rest. Does anyone know the best way to handle this or just offer some info.

Thanks!

Sparky

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Argue convincingly why something worth 1 dollar should sell for three, sound really indignant and elitist about it.

step two, offer your mother and/or first born as collateral against possible leaks or breach of NDA on your part.

job's as good as yours.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by sparky:

<strong>Are there any insiders out there who might have some insight into the process of getting a job at Apple. I've sent a resume via web, fax and mail. Since I know there are probably thousands of other resumes going into their human resource office what could set me apart from the rest. Does anyone know the best way to handle this or just offer some info.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The two surest ways I'm aware of to get a gig at Apple are:

1) Be recommended by an existing Apple employee, and/or;

2) Do something that gets their attention: Write and publish a really cool piece of software, or some really lucid technical writing, or make some serious contributions to Darwin, or Bugtraq, or to one of their mailing lists (this is sort of like #1, really, because the hope is that you'll get noticed by Apple employees).

Sending a resume in cold has a very low chance of success. Not that it hurts to try. However, if you can get past the HR department to a specific manager, your odds will be much better. That's a general rule.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I thought that with very few exceptions, Apple was in a hiring freeze. Is that no longer true?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sparkysparky Posts: 4member
    They have a ton of listings on their site. I wouldn't think they were in a hiring freeze if they had listings. Am I wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I guess I am mistaken. I thought I heard this in one of their conference calls but now I'm not sure.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Don't post at AppleInsider?

But yeah, don't try the cold (boring reply to a job application) way. It won't work (probably). You need to get them to know you as a person. And prove you're what they want (or just be a freakin' genius like David Hyatt or Jordan Hubbard).

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    anyone happen to know how much the Genius or Sales positions pay at an apple store?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Does anyone know of a staff directory online somewhere?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    What I want to know is how to get an internship at apple.

I am in college for telecommunications. Any ideas?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    Ooooh! Internship at Apple! How? And I am confident that I could be a pretty OK Genius at my local Apple store. A lot of the guys are idiots.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    One of my old students who is now a part of my family (little sister) who was my jr. bridesmaid--well her MOTHER is the creative director at apple. I won't give out her name, but my lil sis said that "My mom is worried that she may lose her job b/c they have been laying off people" Her mom has been there for at least 10 years.

Jess
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Go to the Apple website and go to the job opportunities area. Do a search for intern and you will find some. They are listed there. I've seen them. You need to be enrolled in certain programs at a university though, I think.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i was there the other day, they have 250 job openings.

if anyone knows what their pay is like, please PM me. i might be interested in applying.

*cough* a certain former mod *cough*
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Mac Geniuses get about $20ish an hour, so the annual salary is in the 40s.

At least in northern New Jersey.