South Korean AirPods ad shows wide variety of case designs

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new video on Apple's South Korean YouTube page advertises AirPods and the case by highlighting the wide variety of covers available for the protective recharging accessory, including many that Apple's online store does not currently sell.

The 30-second ad spot starts off by showing the AirPods interface appearing on an iPhone, before transitioning to a montage of AirPods cases. Rather than just ones Apple itself sells in the Apple Store, the collection features a considerable number of case varieties that are both striking and unusual.

Along with conventional silicone-based cases, the video shows knitted cases, transparent plastic cases covered with decals, and some with 3D designs, such as a carton of fries and a chicken. Many also include keychain elements, matching the theme of the case itself.

The accompanying Korean description translated to English reads: "A variety of unique AirPods transformed through your hands full of creativity. Here's their charm." The video's soundtrack is a Yaeji remix of "Focus" by Charli XCX.

Like many other Apple products, the AirPods have spawned an entire industry of cases and covers designed to protect and give character to the recharging case. Other case options include leather versions, and even a few that can add wireless charging capabilities to the first-generation AirPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I don't think Apple predicted how lucrative the AirPods case market would be. Did they set up a licensing program (like iPhone cases/bands) for their latest invention? They should.

"highlighting the wide variety of covers available for the protective recharging accessory, including many that Apple's online store does not currently sell."

Advertising products outside their Store??!!???? What a greedy company!!1

/s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    The cases shown seem to be quite child like and may even appeal to some adolescents. I'm not so sure about the adult market though...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bulgomibulgomi Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    some of the characters shown on the case are very popular in Korea(among young adults) they have those character stores in nyc(kakao friends)
    applesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Those are cool.  I see all kinds of designs on AirPod cases.  Companies like dbrand, skinit, slickwraps, etc. have some pretty cool and varied designs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    mobird said:
    The cases shown seem to be quite child like and may even appeal to some adolescents. I'm not so sure about the adult market though...
    "Cuteness" is a big part of Asian culture, and its appeal spans all ages. The Japanese call it "Kawaii." Not sure if there's a Korean term for it.
    CloudTalkinapplesnorangesJinTechmobirdkuraiphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While these are great to personalize your AirPods, a disadvantage is the loss of the cool factor:   Part of the appeal of AirPods is their distinctive white color (including the case) shows they are real, Apple AirPods, not some cheap knock-off.

As they become increasingly common, that distinction will of course fade (or maybe it has already?).  But, for now, pulling out that distinctive white case says something about the person doing it.
    lamboaudi4
  • Reply 7 of 8
    While these are great to personalize your AirPods, a disadvantage is the loss of the cool factor:   Part of the appeal of AirPods is their distinctive white color (including the case) shows they are real, Apple AirPods, not some cheap knock-off.

Nobody sees the case.
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    But, for now, pulling out that distinctive white case says something about the person doing it.
    Yeah, they own AirPods. And really, nobody cares. I don't buy gear for anybody's approval but mine. I have a great Nomad case for my AirPods. 

mobird said:
    With the number of non-cutsey Hello Kitty (Japanese) type cases such as the Nomad and others, I think the 'adult' market is substantial.

The AirPods charger's gloss finish is slippery, similar to a naked iPhone. It gets slipperier with handling. I've almost dropped my twice. Concerned that a drop on solid ground might damage the charger/charging, a case is cheaper than a new charger, so I got one.

I don't think Apple predicted how lucrative the AirPods case market would be. Did they set up a licensing program (like iPhone cases/bands) for their latest invention?
    Is a license even required? They're not using any IP. They'd need a license if they included the Apple Logo. You'll note that all third party cases either have no logo or have a hole in the back to reveal Apple's apple. That's like saying an aftermarket wheel manufacturer needs a license to make rims that fit a Ford or Chevy, etc.

Where are all the 'Duuuhhh, a case for a case how moronic' morons. Maybe it's the holiday weekend.