New iPhones, and the greatest ever cull of Mac games on the AppleInsider Podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Ahead of next week's iPhone event, William Gallagher and Mike Wuerthele talk about what's definitely coming and what's definitely not. Plus Mike talks about why the move to macOS Catalina is going to permanently break an awful lot of games.

Not long to wait now.
Not long to wait now.

We thought it would be a quiet week as everyone waits for Apple's September 10 event, but Victor's going to regret being away for this one, as AppleInsider writer William Gallagher and editor Mike Wuerthele discuss:
  • More games are going to be cut off than ever before in Apple history.
  • The move to a 64-bit macOS Catalina is going to strand an untold number of games and some will be lost forever.
  • Use our guide to finding out what 32-bit apps, including Steam games, you still have on your Mac. And check it out right now.
Plus:
  • How Apple likes to produce its events and what that means for the devices we'll see next week
  • Mike calls the odds on the one other device that could make it next week, the rumored update to Apple TV
  • Give us a break, we haven't had the 2019 iPhones yet, and here are new rumors for a mid-cycle "iPhone SE 2" between those and the 2020 releases
  • Samsung has finally released the Galaxy Fold, just not so you'd notice -- and perhaps never will
  • Signify, nee Phillips Lighting, has brought out more Hue bulbs, plus new smart plugs which may be in time to save William yanking out what remains of his hair after HomeKit woes
  • Developers have been telling AppleInsider how and why Apple's Catalyst is simply not ready for prime time
Our thanks this week to our episode sponsor, Capterra. Check out over 950,000 software reviews to help you make the right business decision, by visiting capterra.com/appleinsider. If you're interested in sponsoring the AppleInsider podcast, email our team for details on [email protected].

Also, you've listened to the podcast, you know Apple, and you know AppleInsider. Could you be just the type of journalist we're looking for? We're growing, check out who we need for the team.

We like reader email too -- send us your comments and concerns!.

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Follow this episode's hosts on Twitter: @WGallagher and @mike_wuerthele.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    "The move to a 64-bit macOS Catalina is going to strand an untold number of games and some will be lost forever"

Only two of the couple dozen games on my machine will continue to run. Halo and Age of Empires will both die. There's really no reason for this.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I'm not sure I'll ever be a fan of these forced upgrade tactics. It's a value to me to be able to run older software. Why not continue to allow it, but the user has to click "Yes" for the game to run? Or run it inside of a 32-bit bottle/container?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder if there’ll be an uptick of boot camp installs after this.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    can I run an older version of MacOSX in Parallels?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    tadd said:
    can I run an older version of MacOSX in Parallels?
    Yes. Not perfectly, but yes.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Enjoyable podcast, as usual...

...Victor, of course, always does an exemplary job.

It was good to hear William in the driver's seat, so to speak. He did a wonderful job. 

Mike's take on things was really informative and to the point. Really enjoyed listening to him, again. 

I thought William's comment, on the HomePod, was insightful. "If Apple makes a second gen., then it's a success." Seems obvious after hearing it, but never really thought of it that way.

I'll be applying William's logic to all future Apple products.

BTW, I'm using a refurbished 3 year old Se ($200), it matches my rose gold MacBook...yes, it's important!

Mike's comment, "if you lay an Se on top of the Xs it's about a 1/4 inch, or so, on all sides bigger" was illuminating.

Hmmm, off to the Apple store tomorrow to check it out! :)

I digress, I was amazed at the weight difference between my previous 5c (Apple white) and the 5/Se. My first impression of the X and the R was, they seemed considerably heavier. 

Anyway...always look fwd to Friday. It's one of my favorite podcasts. This one was a pleasant surprise! :)

• Reply 7 of 11
    I have two 32 bit apps that will make me keep my 2006 iMac up and running a little while longer...Brother Printer/scanner app and a few H&R Block pieces of SW.

I applaud Apple in going to 64 bit, it will clean out a lot of riff-raff out of the App Stores! :)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    christopher126 said:
    Mike's comment, "if you lay an Se on top of the Xs it's about a 1/4 inch, or so, on all sides bigger" was illuminating. 
    Hmm, I actually came here to disagree about that comment. The problem is that for many, the SE is already kind of pushing the limits of comfortable hand-fit (and pocket fit) for people who like small phones. So, that 1/4" is kind of a big deal, and the 1" in the other direction is also not great.

But, then most of us put them in cases, which adds even more size. So, it's worse than the core product in real-world use.

Is the X smaller than the 7 or 8? Because my wife has an iPhone 7, and IMO, it is too big. I could deal with it if I have to, maybe, but I'd not enjoy it as much (and I'll resist buying one as much as possible).

I also don't get the 'we've/Apple has just moved on' from that market sentimentality. To me, that's kind of like the car companies trying to justify making just cross-over SUVs because they sell a bigger percentage of them. So what? 'Never crossing 10%' as Mike said, is still a heck of a lot of phones. Couple that with the fact that they didn't make it a proper iPhone sibling (but instead a budget model) and maybe that percent was a self-fulfilling outcome.

But, even if it wasn't, why wouldn't you cater to that 10% market, rather than making your entire lineup focus on the 90%, leaving that 10% behind? Do we really need a half-dozen bigger phone models? Why not just figure out which phone has the highest percentage, then, and cut the rest of the lineup all together. Think of the R&D and production costs that would save Apple! Everyone can just learn to conform to that model that people's wallets have voted for.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor

but Victor's going to regret being away for this one,
    I do!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    cgWerks said:
    christopher126 said:
    Hmm, I actually came here to disagree about that comment. The problem is that for many, the SE is already kind of pushing the limits of comfortable hand-fit (and pocket fit) for people who like small phones. So, that 1/4" is kind of a big deal, and the 1" in the other direction is also not great.

But, then most of us put them in cases, which adds even more size. So, it's worse than the core product in real-world use.

I think we've been thinking smaller should be cheaper.  I think what you are saying is that smaller is smaller, and having something with the top-of-the-line capabilities in an iPhone 5 sized chassis might find another unfulfilled market segment, even if it had a top-of-the-line price?? 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    tadd said:
    I think we've been thinking smaller should be cheaper.  I think what you are saying is that smaller is smaller, and having something with the top-of-the-line capabilities in an iPhone 5 sized chassis might find another unfulfilled market segment, even if it had a top-of-the-line price?? 
    Yes, more or less. I think Apple needs to address 'budget' with particular models (or, older models as they have been, which I like less). Then, they also need to address the size preferences of their user-base appropriately. They have confused the two, so looking at previous sales trends is rather irrelevant.