Apple to launch 'iPhone 11' on Sept. 20, celebrate with reopening of Fifth Avenue store in...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Apple's next-generation iPhone lineup will ship out to customers and hit brick-and-mortar store shelves on Sept. 20, a release that coincides with the grand reopening of the company's newly renovated Fifth Avenue flagship in New York City.

By Innovation Only

Apple retail employees are making ready for a planned "iPhone 11" release on Sept. 20, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The timeline conforms to Apple's traditional release schedule, which typically sees the company announce new hardware on a Tuesday, start preorders that Friday, and commence deliveries and brick-and-mortar sales a week later.

Apple is widely expected to announce a range of new iPhone handsets and refreshed Apple Watch models at a special media event on Sept. 10. Tracking "tags" with augmented reality integration and a more powerful Apple TV are also rumored for unveiling.

Preorders are anticipated to go live on Friday, Sept. 13, with purchases due to arrive on Sept. 20, the same day devices will be made available at Apple stores and authorized resellers in participating launch countries.

Armed with a slate of new hardware, Apple plans invite customers into the iconic glass cube at its freshly renovated Fifth Avenue flagship on Sept. 20, the person said. Workers on Friday stripped the massive glass structure of its protective cladding in preparation of this month's reopening.

Apple completely dismantled and replaced the cube as part of its renovation efforts, the person said. Demolition of the glass landmark alone reportedly set Apple back as much as $2 million, a figure eclipsed by material and installation costs of the new structure.

In addition to the glass cube entryway, Apple's premier New York outlet more than doubled underground floor space to 77,000 square feet, ample room to incorporate "Apple Store 2.0" furniture and fixtures, and a rumored Beats 1 radio broadcasting zone.

The company has yet to announce an official opening date for the Fifth Avenue store.

AppleInsider will provide live coverage of Apple's "By Innovation Only" event on Tuesday, Sept. 10, starting at 10 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    If "Apple Tags" are going to be announced on the Sept 10th event, I'm sure Apple will give a free Tag to everyone at the event and Apple may use free Tags as a promotional idea from time to time such as store openings.
    applesnorangescaladanianchasm
  • Reply 2 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    If "Apple Tags" are going to be announced on the Sept 10th event, I'm sure Apple will give a free Tag to everyone at the event and Apple may use free Tags as a promotional idea from time to time such as store openings.
    Yeah! Delivered on golden pillows by magical unicorns. Keep dreaming friend. 
    ronncornchip
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Japhey said:
    Apple gave out free jackets at the last big Apple event a few months ago. I imagine jackets cost $100 each. What will a Tag cost, $29? $19? $9?
    chasm
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Japhey said:
    Apple gave out free jackets at the last big Apple event a few months ago. I imagine jackets cost $100 each. What will a Tag cost, $29? $19? $9?
    The ticket price for the free jacket was also $1,600....
    edited September 2019 ronnuraharacornchipCarnage
  • Reply 5 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    My guess is at least $49. 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Although this was a long time ago, I (and everyone) at the 2001 MW keynote got a free Apple Mouse. Everyone ran to the back to get theirs, I ran to the front to meet Jobs, Tavanian, and the rest of the then-current exec.
    Andy.Hardwakegilly33cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    PS. So that "leaked document" was BS, just as Mike suspected.
    Andy.Hardwake
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Hello, everybody. I am newbie here.Does anybody know when iPhone XI will be sold in Russia? I am from Russia.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Hello, everybody. I am newbie here.Does anybody know when iPhone XI will be sold in Russia? I am from Russia.
    Nobody knows when it will be available in America yet, but two years ago when the iPhone 8 and X were released, Russia got it about one week after America did. https://tass.com/economy/965316  So hopefully history repeats itself. However I also read that many iPhones are sold on the grey market there, at roughly triple the regular price.

It seems to me that there are no subsidies from carriers in Russia so that results in higher prices and lower sales. But even so, millions are sold every year there, I think.

• Reply 10 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Soon.   This is now, now.   You must wait until now becomes then.   
    cmd-zmarc gcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    So will they continue to sell iPhone 7?! 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    One more thing: a mid range [in comparison] Mac Pro for the rest of us, with a decent Apple monitor around the price of the reference spec monitor stand. It will basically be the same as the iMac display.
    The bigger surprise will either be an AMD CPU; or if not, Nvidia drivers will be made available.

Or maybe I’m dreamin’.
    edited September 2019 iqatedo
  • Reply 13 of 18
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
  • Reply 14 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    eriamjh said:
    Soon.   This is now, now.   You must wait until now becomes then.   
    When will “then” be “now”? Soon...    Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)
    Japheymarc g
  • Reply 15 of 18
    bluefire1 said:
    Forbes turned into a sensationalist tabloid website. This article is terrible. 
    cornchipjax44
  • Reply 16 of 18
    It appears that Gordon Kelly’s “expertise” doesn’t extend to proofreading. It’s a poorly written article (not just grammatically). It appears his only source is Ming Chi (Apple will bring out a television next year for sure) Kuo.  Yes, I know he’s got a decent track record but I don’t think a full article should be based on one source. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    entropys said:
    One more thing: a mid range [in comparison] Mac Pro for the rest of us, with a decent Apple monitor around the price of the reference spec monitor stand
     :D Love it - I'd be up for that.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    entropys said:
    One more thing: a mid range [in comparison] Mac Pro for the rest of us, with a decent Apple monitor around the price of the reference spec monitor stand. It will basically be the same as the iMac display.
    The bigger surprise will either be an AMD CPU; or if not, Nvidia drivers will be made available.

Or maybe I’m dreamin’.
    The last part.

No way will Apple switch to AMD. Right now there is no available chipset for Thunderbolt 3 on AMD. Apple is all in on Thunderbolt 3. When the USB4 devices start shipping maybe AMD or someone else will create a TB3 chipset but it’s not happening right now.