Apple TV+ originals to support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, device compatibility varies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple's original programming, set to air this fall with Apple TV+, is mastered with high quality video and audio systems from Dolby, and you can play them if your Mac, Apple TV or iOS device is compatible.

Tim Cook talking about all the devices you will be able to watch Apple TV+ on
Tim Cook talking about all the devices you will be able to watch Apple TV+ on

Following Tim Cook's unveiling of the launch date and cost of the forthcoming Apple TV+ service, Apple has released more technical details about how the programs will be screened. This includes the fact that, on compatible equipment, all titles will be offered with 4K HDR / Dolby Vision, and most will also feature Dolby Atmos sound.

Apple TV+ will launch on November 1, but titles featuring this improved sound and vision quality are already available through the iTunes Movies store.

To watch either existing titles or those coming with Apple TV+, you will need to have one of the following devices to get both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos:
  • An iOS device released in 2018 or later

• Mac mini 2018

• MacBook Pro 2018, MacBook Air 2018 or later

• Apple TV 4K
Apple iPads or iPhones must be running iOS 13 or later, and the Macs must be running macOS Catalina or later. Apple TV 4K must be on tvOS 12 or later.

Certain Mac desktops can also display Dolby Vision, though they can't play Dolby Atmos:
  • Mac Pro, iMac 5K, iMac 4K, 2019

• Mac mini 2019

• iMac Pro 2017
If you have one of these compatible devices and you've previously bought HD movies that are now available in this higher-quality format, they will be automatically updated for free.

Apple has had Dolby Atmos on its Apple TV 4K hardware since 2018, but began promising it even earlier.

Earlier this year, Netflix introduced Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 to certain of its titles.

Apple TV+ is to launch in over 100 countries on Nov. 1, and a family subscription will cost $4.99 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    When I thought it was going to be $10/month, I was intrigued. Now -- I'm excited. And in for at least a year.
    canukstormAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 10
    So are they going to upgrade all my HD movies purchased from iTunes to 4K for free? I have ATV HD.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Does iPhone support 4K output through the lightning port? IOW, can you hook an iPhone to a lightning to HDMI adapter to put onto a 4K HDTV? If so, what iPhone models?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chasm said:
    When I thought it was going to be $10/month, I was intrigued. Now -- I'm excited. And in for at least a year.
    Assuming that you are in a family of four, each member has to buy an Apple device once every four years and the whole family will get Apple TV for free permanently. One thing that isn't clear is whether the free year starts on the day of your purchase, or at some point later when you apply/register. Someone should investigate.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Certain Mac desktops can also display Dolby Vision, though they can't play Dolby Atmos:
    • Mac Pro, iMac 5K, iMac 4K, 2019
      • Mac mini 2019
        • iMac Pro 2017
        What do you mean with a Mac mini 2019? Typo?
      • Reply 6 of 10

The "$4.99 per month" was a bombshell. The "1 year free with a new device purchase" was the follow-up mic-drop! All my lingering apprehensions with respect to price are now gone.

This is a very smart move by Apple - remove the price roadblock and it lets people judge the content for the content.

O.T., I never realised how buff Tim was till he swapped his shirt for a T-shirt! Damn!! 

• Reply 7 of 10
        kevin kee said:
        So are they going to upgrade all my HD movies purchased from iTunes to 4K for free? I have ATV HD.
        They upgraded most films purchased on iTunes to 4K for free when they introduced 4K support. Go look at the information on any of your purchased titles to check.
        AppleExposed
      • Reply 8 of 10
        gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
        chasm said:
        Assuming that you are in a family of four, each member has to buy an Apple device once every four years and the whole family will get Apple TV for free permanently. One thing that isn't clear is whether the free year starts on the day of your purchase, or at some point later when you apply/register. Someone should investigate.
        As Apple TV+ for a year has a value of just $60 perhaps buying last years model used and saving a few hundred might be a smart deal. Just add the separate subscription. 

A 64GB XR can be had clean and unlocked for $400 or less, and 128GB versions for under $450. That's a really fair price IMO, and tossing in the Apple TV subscription you can still be under $470.  Owning an iPhone isn't necessarily expensive. 
        edited September 2019 AppleExposed
      • Reply 9 of 10
        gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
        chasm said:
        You have three months after purchase to activate the 'free"' subscription, and that begins Nov. 1st. Either new or refurbished devices must have been purchased on or after Sept 10th, one offer per family (of 6) per year no matter the number purchased.
      • Reply 10 of 10
        AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
        I would have bragged about this with a slide. Surprised they never mentioned it. THIS would be the main driver for me to subscribe. Most services hardly offer these.

And to the person I was arguing with weeks ago who said 4K/Dolby Vision wouldn't be necessary for TV+:

" all titles will be offered with 4K HDR / Dolby Vision,"

Haha!