Apple features four games coming to Apple Arcade that some iOS 13 testers can play now

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple has given us a sneak peek at what new games will be available with its new play-all-you-want service Apple Arcade, and has opened up the service early for some iOS 13 beta testers.

"Apple Arcade, It's time to play" takes a look at some of the new games that will be offered when Apple Arcade goes live on September 19. The release details a little about each game, as well as some information about the people behind the games.

Notably, the four games featured are new games that have not been highly promoted before.

The Enchanted World

The Enchanted World, is a puzzle game focused on a fairy trying to piece back together her collapsing world.

The game is a symbolic take on what it's like to grow up as a child in a time of war. The games creators, Ivan Ramadan and Amar Zubcevic, both grew up in Sarajevo during the Bosnian War. For four years, their city was under siege, and they were without many of the amenities that we take for granted. In this time of crisis, their parents used creativity to shield them from the violence and danger that had become their daily lives.

"There was no electricity there was no running water, you had to go to a well and we would go with [our parents] and help them carry back containers -- it was a game for us, helping them," said Zubcevic.

The Enchanted World features music and folklore from the Balkans, and is aimed at a younger audience who may be looking for a peaceful, magical experience.

Patterned

Patterned

Patterned by Borderleap is a casual puzzle game made by Nate Dicken. Players will color and assemble intricate pieces pieces to create a larger, patterned work. The patterns were sourced from 15 different designers, 14 of whom are women.

"The App Store made it possible for me to have a platform to do what I do," said Dicken, "I wouldn't have built this game if it weren't for Apple Arcade."

Overland

Overland

Adam and Bekah Saltsman are the couple behind the studio Finji. They've made Overland, a post-apocalyptic road trip adventure game that happens to be modeled after an assortment of their favorite board games, books, and films.

Players will drive west across the United States, rescuing survivors, scavenging supplies, and hoping to outpace a rapidly deteriorating environment.

Bekah spoke on the importance of quality of life when it comes to game creation, citing that it has an important role in Finji's success.

"I want people to have full lives and I want people to make games," she said. "So whatever we need to do to make that work, we will do that."

Card of Darkness

Card of Darkness

Solo developer Zach Gage and Adventure Time creator and famed animator Pendleton Ward teamed up to create Card of Darkness, a card game with a sense of humor. Players will solve card-based characters and features Ward's iconic style.

"I want games to reach the place where people discuss them as if they're books or movies," says Gage, who supports the Apple Arcade business model. "I didn't have to spend time thinking, How do I fit ads into this?' I just got to work with incredible artists and make incredible art -- Apple Arcade is letting me do that."

Some can play now!

Some iOS 13 beta testers are able to access and sign up for the service now. In the app store, those eligible to sign up today have a new "Arcade" tab, where titles available can be previewed, and users can sign up for a free month trial. Users on the iPhone can play now, and Apple says that iPad, Apple TV, and Mac owners will have to wait a bit longer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I have access to 65 games to play for free for one month. Basically, all games that were released in September 2019
  • Reply 2 of 6
    For anyone interested, CNET has a fairly extensive list of the games announced + short synopsis for most. Patterned and Card of Darkness don't appear on that list, so you can bump up that number to 56. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-arcade-all-54-games-announced-so-far/
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 6
    For anyone interested, CNET has a fairly extensive list of the games announced + short synopsis for most. Patterned and Card of Darkness don't appear on that list, so you can bump up that number to 56. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-arcade-all-54-games-announced-so-far/
    After going through the list, I more convinced than ever that Apple Arcade exists for children.  Basically, parents will pay the $5 to get Johnny & Susie away from the pay to play crap that ends up costing considerably more than $5/per month.

It also remove the danger of devs selling the kids information to companies like Facebook...
    chasm
  • Reply 4 of 6
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Just had a look at it now. Not sure there's anything in there that really grabs me, but I'm not much of a gamer. Some of the ideas look nice, but I don't know that I want to devote time to them.

That's not meant as a criticism on the service, as such. I wasn't sure it would be for me, anyway.

Also want to see if there's any regional differences in the games available. Are the games available in Australia different to the ones in the US, or have Apple negotiated global rights as part of the deal?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    seanismorris said: After going through the list, I more convinced than ever that Apple Arcade exists for children.  Basically, parents will pay the $5 to get Johnny & Susie away from the pay to play crap that ends up costing considerably more than $5/per month.
    I'm don't doubt that's part of the target market, but I think it will appeal to more than just kids. M-rated titles aren't the only things adults are interested in when it comes to video games. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I think Apple Arcade will really work well for families, not just families with kids. You'll have one person who works a crappy call centre job, or desk job where they're bored on their phone a lot for various parts of the day, and the 5 dollars will be worth it for them because they spend more trying to stave off boredom anyway. (This was me when I worked for Shaw Cable.) And then you'll have other family members that find stuff to play out of the content that their other family member is paying for. This will also be great for parents who want to entertain their kids but don't want to get bugged for freemium stuff. Ironically Apple Arcade might actually cost Apple money if they pull people away from the freemium games, since many of those are probably costing several people lots and lots of money. But at the same time, I can't remember when the last time is that I paid for a mobile game, and this could get me to spend 60 bucks a year. So in that sense they may be hoping that for every freemium whale that goes over to Apple Arcade there'll be 99 other people who just want fun on their phones and weren't paying for freemium games. Also this will hopefully get rid of some of the stink around gaming on iPhone. I'm sure Apple is rather annoyed that they work so hard on Metal and their phones Hardware, but then the only thing even halfway fun on the platform is freemium shit.