iPhone 11 Pro Max screen secures 'highest ever A+ grade' in lab testing

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
The iPhone 11 Pro Max has the best smartphone display available in a mobile device, DisplayMate has declared following lab testing of the OLED display.

Apple's iPhones have a formidable track record when it comes to the quality of the screen, with the iPhone X and iPhone XS Max OLED panels both securing the coveted titles of the "Best Smartphone Display" when undergoing testing by DisplayMate. For the iPhone 11 Pro Max, its display has once again taken the top ranking.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out report by DisplayMate president Dr. Raymond M. Soniera reveals the latest screen offers a number of improvements over the display used in the iPhone XS Max, including a 71% higher peak brightness of 821 nits for a typical Average Picture Level of 50%, which is said to be an improvement of screen visibility in high ambient light.

For the Home Screen, the iPhone 11 Pro Max now provides a high brightness of 902 nits, again higher than the XS Max. Under a test for HDR Peak Brightness, the iPhone achieved 1,290 nits for the standard HDR 20% APL, and 1,090 nits when the entire screen is set to white with a 100% APL. The power efficiency is also up 15% compared to the testing of the iPhone XS Max.

Along with the improvements, the iPhone 11 Pro Max also set a number of smartphone display records, including the lowest screen reflectance at 4.5%, smallest brightness variation with viewing angle of 25% at 30 degrees, and the highest visible screen resolution of 2.7K.

Charts showing the iPhone 11 Pro Max display color accuracy for sRGB and DCI-P3 (source: DisplayMate)
Charts showing the iPhone 11 Pro Max display color accuracy for sRGB and DCI-P3 (source: DisplayMate)

For two categories, the Shift in Color Accuracy with the Image Content APL at 0.3 JNCD (Just Noticeable Color Difference) and the Absolute Color Accuracy of 0.9 JNCD, the display is said to be "Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect," which DisplayMate considers a match or tied performance record with other screens reaching that level.

"Apple has continued to raise the on-screen Absolute Picture Quality and Absolute Color Accuracy of their displays by implementing Precision Factory Display Calibration," writes Soniera, "moving the overall iPhone 11 Pro Max display performance up to record-setting outstanding levels, and setting or matching many display performance records."

The iPhone 11 Pro Max is also deemed to have an "impressive top-tier display with close-to-textbook perfect calibration and performance," and earns the highest ever A+ grade by "providing considerably better display performance than other competing smartphones."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    But, but, but.... I thought Samsung Galaxy was da best?????

What universe are we living in?

Congrats to Apple for aiming for top-quality.  B)
    SoundJudgmentjahbladeAppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Just wait for the critics to remind us that Samsung makes these OLED screens for Apple. Those same critics also claim that Samsung keeps the top-of-the-line OLED screens for themselves and that’s why Apple OLED screens are inferior to Samsung’s own screens. Never mind the software powering those screens I guess. 
    williamlondontmayStrangeDaysjahbladeAppleExposedmacxpressbb-15wlymwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 40
    lkrupp said:

Just wait for the critics to remind us that Samsung makes these OLED screens for Apple. Those same critics also claim that Samsung keeps the top-of-the-line OLED screens for themselves and that’s why Apple OLED screens are inferior to Samsung’s own screens. Never mind the software powering those screens I guess. 
    You sorta just created your own controversy in your first sentence, and then responded to it.  ;) ;) ;)
    CloudTalkinrundhvid1983
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I wonder what this means for the iPhone 11 Pro (not Max).  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I wonder what this means for the iPhone 11 Pro (not Max).  
    While would the Pro screen brightness and color accuracy be any different in quality than the Pro Max? It's simply smaller.
    edited September 2019 jahbladeAppleExposedbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Apple claims (and they have a fair number of OLED patents), that while their screens are made by Samsung, they include Apple technology. I don’t know exactly what that means, but it’s somewhat different than Samsung’s screens they use for themselves, and presumably from those they sell to others, rather than to Apple.
    edited September 2019 jahbladeStrangeDayskevin keebb-151983jbdragonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 40
    melgross said:
    Apple claims (and they have a fair number of OLED patents), that while their screens are made by Samsung, they include Apple technology. I don’t know exactly what that means, but it’s somewhat different than Samsung’s screens they use for themselves, and presumably from those they sell to others, rather than to Apple.
    I’d guess the panel is as said Samsung made but the display processor that communicates with gpu is apple made processing unit. It handles all the color, brightness etc adjustments. 
    StrangeDayskevin keebb-151983FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 40
    nadriel said:
    melgross said:
    I’d guess the panel is as said Samsung made but the display processor that communicates with gpu is apple made processing unit. It handles all the color, brightness etc adjustments. 
    I could be wrong but I think this bit of hardware is called a display driver. Similar to how the AW5 has the same screen as the 4, but with a new driver component can control the 1Hz refresh rate on the 5. 
    nadrielkevin keewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 40
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Never met an iKnockoff moron have you?

"Samsung develops the displays LOL!"

Even though that's not true. Samsung (NOT Samsung mobile) has dumb factories that fulfills orders. Apple DOES NOT own manufacturing plants (why the fuck should they?). By this stupid iKnockoff logic, Foxconn invented the iPhone, iPad, Nintendo Wii, Switch, Sony Playstation, Microsoft XBox etc. etc.

These are the same morons who claimed Samsung developed the A-Series chips.......
    kevin keelkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 40
    nadriel said:
    melgross said:

Samsung isn't involved in iPhone development. They just own plants that fulfill orders. That's it. Anyone else (LG, Japan Display, etc.) could do this if they were capable of fulfilling the large orders Apple demands. Right now only Samsungs plant can fulfill these large orders, They have absolutely nothing to do with iPhone development. Heck, they don't even develop Samsung displays, they just fulfill orders.

Apple isn't a parts manufacturer so it would be stupid for them to open a manufacturing plant just to shut up iKnockoff trolls. The screens would also be 100% identical.

lkrupp said:

You sorta just created your own controversy in your first sentence, and then responded to it.  ;) ;) ;)

His first sentence was funny and mocking iKnockoff morons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40

Why question yourself.  You were right.  Samsung Galaxy Note 10 was the best.  Displaymate just said so.  http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note10_ShootOut_1G.htm
    Relevant excerpt:  "... Galaxy Note10+ sets or matches 13 Smartphone Display Performance Records, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade." 
    You're living in a universe where Displaymate says the Samsung Galaxy was the best... then iPhone... then Galaxy... then iPhone... then Galaxy. For a number of years Displaymate said Apple had the best LCD display, but Samsung had the best overall display.  Fast forward to Apple using Sammy panels and the Displaymate overall crown has seesawed back and forth between Apple's and Samsung's latest releases.  If history is an indicator, it's pretty much assured the crown will pass back to Samsung in the spring when they release the S11 and back to Apple in the fall when they release the 12P and 12PM.  The only mystery regarding the overall crown is whether Samsung will intro the Note before or after the iPhone.  Whichever is last to be intro'd is the one that will hold the crown until the S13... wash, rinse, repeat.
    mwhitebb-15bigtdsrundhvidwilliamlondonCarnagemuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 40
    nadriel said:
    melgross said:

Samsung isn't involved in iPhone development. They just own plants that fulfill orders. That's it. Anyone else (LG, Japan Display, etc.) could do this if they were capable of fulfilling the large orders Apple demands. Right now only Samsungs plant can fulfill these large orders, They have absolutely nothing to do with iPhone development. Heck, they don't even develop Samsung displays, they just fulfill orders.

Apple isn't a parts manufacturer so it would be stupid for them to open a manufacturing plant just to shut up iKnockoff trolls. The screens would also be 100% identical.

Neither @nadriel ; nor @coolfactor ; were arguing that Samsung is involved in iPhone development.  No one made that argument.  It's your strawman.  And you're also wrong about LG and Japan Display being able to do it if they were capable of fulfilling large orders.  First, it's a specious argument.  "They could do it if they didn't have to do it completely.  Derp.  They can't do the 2nd most important part: Volume. So they can't do it. Second, even if they could do the volume, there's no guarantee they could deliver on the most important part: Quality.  Anecdotal evidence says that the quality part is the biggest stumbling block for both LG and JDI... well the whole thing is the problem for JDI, but that's a discussion for another time.  
    nadrielAppleExposedbigtdswilliamlondonCarnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 40
    nadriel said:
    melgross said:

Neither @nadriel ; nor @coolfactor ; were arguing that Samsung is involved in iPhone development.  No one made that argument.  It's your strawman.  And you're also wrong about LG and Japan Display being able to do it if they were capable of fulfilling large orders.  First, it's a specious argument.  "They could do it if they didn't have to do it completely.  Derp.  They can't do the 2nd most important part: Volume. So they can't do it. Second, even if they could do the volume, there's no guarantee they could deliver on the most important part: Quality.  Anecdotal evidence says that the quality part is the biggest stumbling block for both LG and JDI... well the whole thing is the problem for JDI, but that's a discussion for another time.  
    LOL.

(Click "show previous posts")
    edited September 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 40

Why question yourself.  You were right.  Samsung Galaxy Note 10 was the best.  Displaymate just said so.  http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note10_ShootOut_1G.htm
    Relevant excerpt:  "... Galaxy Note10+ sets or matches 13 Smartphone Display Performance Records, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade." 
    You're living in a universe where Displaymate says the Samsung Galaxy was the best... then iPhone... then Galaxy... then iPhone... then Galaxy. For a number of years Displaymate said Apple had the best LCD display, but Samsung had the best overall display.  Fast forward to Apple using Sammy panels and the Displaymate overall crown has seesawed back and forth between Apple's and Samsung's latest releases.  If history is an indicator, it's pretty much assured the crown will pass back to Samsung in the spring when they release the S11 and back to Apple in the fall when they release the 12P and 12PM.  The only mystery regarding the overall crown is whether Samsung will intro the Note before or after the iPhone.  Whichever is last to be intro'd is the one that will hold the crown until the S13... wash, rinse, repeat.

I think what makes Apples displays better is color accuracy.

Color accuracy for me, has been the most important factor since I got into display tech in 2004.

Samsung will always win with "color" as people tend to be attracted to over-saturated color for some reason. Samsung has always had a way of tricking less-intelligent people with specs etc.

Not gonna lie when I was a kid (maybe 7 years old) I used to love turning up the "color" control. Looked cooler until I understood the tech later.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40

Never met an iKnockoff moron have you?

"Samsung develops the displays LOL!"

Even though that's not true. Samsung (NOT Samsung mobile) has dumb factories that fulfills orders. Apple DOES NOT own manufacturing plants (why the fuck should they?). By this stupid iKnockoff logic, Foxconn invented the iPhone, iPad, Nintendo Wii, Switch, Sony Playstation, Microsoft XBox etc. etc.

These are the same morons who claimed Samsung developed the A-Series chips.......
    Yeah, Samsung lover would quickly point out the fact that all iPhone 11 screens were made by Samsung and totally ignore the fact the part that make it the best display is not even the panel itself.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40

Color accuracy for me, has been the most important factor since I got into display tech in 2004.

Samsung will always win with "color" as people tend to be attracted to over-saturated color for some reason. Samsung has always had a way of tricking less-intelligent people with specs etc.

Not gonna lie when I was a kid (maybe 7 years old) I used to love turning up the "color" control. Looked cooler until I understood the tech later.

Unfortunately in every era, cheap tricks will always win the crowd. It reminds people that colourful toys are fun. Samsung knew this the best, and exploit it freely. They won't care being called cheap trick by 10%, because 90% of others would love it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40

The over-saturation that you mention is in a mode called Vivid.  It's intentional and a choice.  But Displaymate still says the Note 10 is a more color accurate screen.  So I'm not really sure where your argument goes from there.  Subjectively, people like what they like and there's nothing wrong with that. Honestly, that's probably the best route for you take.  You like Apple screens and you think they're the best.  It's your opinion and that's fine.  We don't live our lives based strictly on scientific data. But if we're going to use Displaymate's findings to objectively measure, that measurement still says Samsung makes a more color accurate screen. Note 10: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note10_ShootOut_1G.htm#Color_Accuracy  Pro Max: http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_11Pro_ShootOut_1P.htm#Color_Accuracy

Relevant. Color Accuracy
    Note 10: DCI-P3 0.4 JNCD  sRGB 0.4 JNCD
    Pro Max DCI-P3 0.8 JNCD  sRGB 0.9 JNCD

There are plenty more stats in the links, but they all pretty much tell the same tale.  Data says Samsung screens are more color accurate.  

edited September 2019 bigtdsrundhvidwilliamlondonCarnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 40
    nadriel said:
    melgross said:

LOL.

(Click "show previous posts")
    .... “made by” is not a synonym for ‘developed by/with’.
    Of course there is Samsung technology within the display that Apple buys from Samsung, as there’d be LG or JD with their displays. They’re not exactly alike nor too different and I’m not expert in display panels. But if they can’t fulfill apples demanded specs it tells that their panel tech is behind Samsung, i.e. not as well developed. ;)

I dont understand the saltiness, Apple didn’t develop the GPS chip, it buys chips and whatnot from Broadcom, mediatec, Texas instrument and intel and so on, how is the display different? No one spoke of iKnockoffs. Just speculated over what apple did with displays, since very likely panel is the same to note 10, but as I was earlier noted *display driver* likely is very different to Samsung’s solution which makes it even better than what Samsung had done with it.

Who even cares who makes and has developed individual parts since we can’t really twiddle with OS and the quality is maintained and Apple has the skills to take most out of them. In this case better screen package than Samsung has from their own panels. 
    Carnagemuthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 19 of 40
    nadriel said:
    melgross said:
    According to Displaymate’s tests of Apple’s new phone, they said that the LEDs in the screen are larger than anyone else’s screen. So they’re not the same as the Samsung at the design and manufacturing level. Not exactly anyway. So it’s more than just controllers, the screen itself is capable of higher brightness because of design.
    AppleExposednadrielwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40

That’s only partly correct. While it’s true that Apple uses panels manufactured by Samsung, at least with OLEDs, Apple has several dozen patents, and they claim that the OLED panels manufactured for them use Apple technology. Under a microscope, while Apple’s LED layout look similar to Samsung’s, there are differences. Considering that small visible differences can mean some different technology, I believe Apple’s claims. The fact that Apple’s latest displays are the brightest, and show larger LED sites, shows that they aren’t standard, off the shelf, Samsung panels.

samsung has now shown all of its latest devices, and Apple’s screens are on top. I’m sure that this will spur Samsung to attempt to equal, or move ahead, next year, and so will Apple.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra