iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro will alert users if non-genuine display is installed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple has released a support document explaining the importance of using genuine displays during repairs on the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max -- and has noted that iOS 13.1 will pop up a warning if a non-Apple one is detected.

Apple nongenuine display alert

The new support document discusses how iPhone displays are designed, tested, and manufactured by Apple to meet their quality and performance standards. They go on to state that genuine devices are critical for the best performance when it comes to Multi-Touch, color accuracy, and features like True Tone, Night Shift, and Haptic Touch.

The warning extends to who is repairing your phone as well, not just the screen itself.

"Only technicians who have completed Apple service training and who use Apple genuine parts and tools should replace iPhone displays," reads the document.

It warns that parts not installed by Apple or one of their certified technicians could result in improper function or safety hazards.

Additionally, Apple warns that non-genuine displays may have compatibility issues, including problems with multi-touch, screen brightness and color issues, or could experience increased battery drain.

Devices that receive non-genuine display replacements will feature notifications and a message within Settings > General > About that alerts the user that their display cannot be verified. However, Apple states that the notifications will not affect a users ability to use their iPhone or display.

The warning was first spotted by Mac Rumors.

At least for now, the warning only will pop up for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. It isn't clear at present if it can be retrofitted to earlier models in software or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I think that’s good. I’ve used a couple of non-Apple displays in other phones (5c and 5s) which were touted as quality and had good reviews but they absolutely were not as nice as Apple’s. Users should be able to put whatever display they want on their phone within reason (though not be assisted by Apple) but there should be some sense given to the user that their display is probably of lesser quality.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    It is good because keep customer experience at most high and increases Appe's service revenue but bad for customers who can not spend or don't want to spend high amount for genuine Apple screen.
  • Reply 3 of 9

I am happy with that decision. I always get concerned that they are not using a genuine display, even when they say they are.  I wonder if they have a warning for batteries. On holiday you don’t always have access to an Apple store for repairs.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    “Your display is a FAKE! Get your money back now!”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I see it as a positive if you're buying a used phone, I know several people that have bought phones and found out later they had ebay screens on them.  
    forgot usernameDeelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    rhinotuff said:
    I see it as a positive if you're buying a used phone, I know several people that have bought phones and found out later they had ebay screens on them.  
     It also guards against people paying for repairs stating 'genuine Apple parts.' As long as it doesn't prevent use of the phone I think it's a good idea. There are many people who would be perfectly fine saving a few dollars on a non-apple screen even if the colors aren't perfect. As long as they know what they're getting I don't see anything wrong with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    How often will it pop up though? Only once, at install or in the settings if you ask, other wise it would get old.
    if my iPhone is near new I would want to spend the money in Apple parts, but once they are older, I will seek repair as cheaply as possible. I would not want that message popping up everyday.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    entropys said:
    How often will it pop up though? Only once, at install or in the settings if you ask, other wise it would get old.
    if my iPhone is near new I would want to spend the money in Apple parts, but once they are older, I will seek repair as cheaply as possible. I would not want that message popping up everyday.
    According to the MacRumors article "A notification will be displayed on the Lock screen for the first four days a device is used following the repair, and in the Settings app for 15 days after that before being limited to General > About." So not too bad.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    If you want to get rid of the message, you can try microsoldering. It's all about the touch module. Transplant the chip onto the replacement screen and the problem is fixed. As shared on iFixit - iPhone 11 Series Non-Genuine Screen Warning/Important Display Message - 100% Fix.