Amazon Prime Video app wasn't available on iOS, tvOS app stores on Friday

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
On Friday, the Amazon Prime Video app was not searchable in the iOS and tvOS app stores for several hours, in what now appears to be a technical issue.

At about 11:00 A.M. Eastern Time, the Amazon Prime Video app was no longer discoverable in a search on the App Store. However, the App Store page still existed at 11:32 for the application, including information around Thursday's update to the app. At 11:42, the page was made unavailable.

There are reports on social media that claim that the Amazon Prime Video is not functional, as a result of the purge. But, AppleInsider can confirm that existing app installations work on iOS 13.1.2, the iOS 13.2 beta, and the tvOS 13 release version.

@AmazonHelp yo where is the Amazon Prime Video app for iOS? I can't seem to find it on the AppStore pic.twitter.com/YkuhwdxQ46

-- copscantdance (@copscantdance)

Given that Amazon issued that app update on Thursday night for X-ray view in some sporting events, a business clash seems unlikely. More likely is a problem with the update, forcing a withdrawal of the app temporarily.

At 4:12 P.M. Eastern Time, the Amazon Prime Video app was restored on both stores.

Update October 4, 2:51 P.M. Eastern Time: Sources inside Amazon are telling us that the absence of the application on the App Stores is a technical issue, and access should be restored shortly.
Update October 4, 4:13 P.M. Eastern Time: Amazon and Apple have restored the app to both the iOS and tvOS App Stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Just checked an my previously downloaded Amazon Prime app works fine on my iPad Pro.  So if you have the app and have a valid Amazon Prime account you should be good to go.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    emoeller said:
    Just checked an my previously downloaded Amazon Prime app works fine on my iPad Pro.  So if you have the app and have a valid Amazon Prime account you should be good to go.
    Yeah, not seeing anything wrong with my prime video app - this is probably a technical issue?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I’m running tVOS 13.2 beta 2 and launching the Amazon app it will crash at launch and have to launch it several times before it successfully opens the app. I deleted and reinstalled the app and the crashes still happen. I found the app using purchased app pane in the App Store.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    emoeller said:
    Yeah, not seeing anything wrong with my prime video app - this is probably a technical issue?
    On tvOS 13.2 the app will crash on launch for me. I can get it to launch but it usually takes at least 3 3 consecutive attempts to launch.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    emoeller said:
    On tvOS 13.2 the app will crash on launch for me. I can get it to launch but it usually takes at least 3 3 consecutive attempts to launch.
    They would not pull an app because it didn't run on a Beta.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mike1 said:
    emoeller said:
    They would not pull an app because it didn't run on a Beta.
    Have you tried it on the standard release of tVOS 13?