Mid-2012 MBP upgrade to SSD, then partition to run both Mavericks and Catalina
I have a mid 2012 15" MBP (MD103LL/A - MacBookPro9,1) and want to do the following:
1) Upgrade to the fastest SSD it can take. (I believe it has a SATA interface at 6GBs)
2) Partition the new SSD and install Catalina in one and then backup my existing HD to it.
My questions are:
1) when shopping for a HD, some sites don't list an Apple and PC section, they are all lumped in together. Can I use a SATA (6GBs) SSD if its listed in the PC SSD section?
2) Will my machine take a 2TB drive? (if not, a 1TB is more than enough).
3) Will Mavericks (10.9.5) work with a 2TB drive?
4) What is the fastest SATA drive that will work in my computer?
1) If I install a new SSD, how do I download Catalina to it if I don't have OSX installed already?
2) How would I install OSX 10.9 5 on the other partition? Does using time machine to transfer my backup to it do this or do I have to i install 10.9.5 first, then back up my old HD to this partition?
Thanks to all who reply.