Airpod questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Good Morning,

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. So my wife bought me a pair of apple airpods from an auction site recently, however, they did not come with a case. I am assuming that this will be like any other apple situation and will end up being an icloud nightmare? Would I be able to purchase a case off eBay and Amazon and they would work> Or do I just need to scrap them. I don't think she paid a lot for them, she just knew I wanted a pair and though these were a good deal, not knowing that they more than likely will not work. Thank in advance for the help. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hopkins21 said:
    Good Morning,

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. So my wife bought me a pair of apple airpods from an auction site recently, however, they did not come with a case. I am assuming that this will be like any other apple situation and will end up being an icloud nightmare? Would I be able to purchase a case off eBay and Amazon and they would work> Or do I just need to scrap them. I don't think she paid a lot for them, she just knew I wanted a pair and though these were a good deal, not knowing that they more than likely will not work. Thank in advance for the help. 
    You can just buy a new charging case. I'd be wary of the battery condition in those used AirPods though.
    hopkins21
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hopkins21 said:
    Good Morning,

You can just buy a new charging case. I'd be wary of the battery condition in those used AirPods though.
    Even if they could still be linked up to someone else icloud account? Or is that even a possibility?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,657member
    I don't think AirPods are linked to iCloud accounts. I've had zero issues with sharing mine back and forth with my wife; our devices are on different iCloud accounts, with no Family Sharing activated. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thak you!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hopkins21 said:
    hopkins21 said:
    Good Morning,

Even if they could still be linked up to someone else icloud account? Or is that even a possibility?
    They're not.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    They're not? I understood from Apple they are, with that W1 chip. Also according to this doc:
    https://support.apple.com/kb/SP750?locale=en_US

• Reply 7 of 8
    They're not? I understood from Apple they are, with that W1 chip. Also according to this doc:

They’re not locked to an Apple ID. All that doc says is your iCloud account enables it to seamlessly switch between devices. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 8 of 8

They’re not locked to an Apple ID. All that doc says is your iCloud account enables it to seamlessly switch between devices. 
    Ah, ok, I guess I don't fully comprehend how the tech works then.