Other than the Mac Pro, Apple may be done with hardware releases for 2019

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
November is here. A lack of an October event, history, and comments made by Luca Maestri and Tim Cook suggest strongly that Apple is sitting pat with its existing hardware lineup for the holiday season.

Apple intends to build the new Mac Pro in the U.S.

A report from DigiTimes on Thursday morning says that Apple is expected to "perform strongly" in the fourth calendar quarter. The venue, which has never been a good source for Apple's specific product plans, also says in the same report that volume shipments of the 16-inch MacBook Pro are expected to begin in the fourth quarter.

DigiTimes also has said that the 16-inch MacBook Pro with a new keyboard was going to launch in October, and so did Ming-Chi Kuo. Now, DigiTimes is saying that the first unit with that new keyboard won't arrive until 2020. Oops.

During Wednesday's earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook and Maestri both repeated the maxim that Mac and iPad Pro sales dollars and the predictions for the holiday quarter were a "tough compare" because of the launch timing of of products in 2018 varying from 2019.

There is enough smoke that we're confident the fires of a 16-inch MacBook Pro are lit. There are iPad Pros coming. When the two arrive is the big question, and what we know combined with Apple's own history do not favor a 2019 arrival.

October and November

As a refresher, in 2018 Apple launched the third generation of iPad Pro on October 30. At the same event, Apple launched the MacBook Air and Mac mini. All of these products had the same shipment window of early and mid-November.

Two weeks into November is already very late for a holiday season. And, there's no sign that there is new hardware lurking inside Apple Stores, just waiting for a press release to arrive and capture the news cycle.

Operating system patch forensics, often a reliable tell of unannounced products, are not helpful here either. Other than a graphic or two, there is no sign of a new MacBook Pro in the macOS 10.15.1 update at all, and a 10.15.2 beta hasn't materialized as of yet.

Touch Bar with discrete Touch ID sensor
Touch Bar with discrete Touch ID sensor

In Apple's entire history, it has only slightly updated the MacBook Pro in November, and even then, it just added a Vega graphics option to the line in 2018. It has never launched a larger screen size, or major renovations to the product in November -- both of which are expected in the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple has never, ever updated an iPad in November. And, we're not seeing anything in existing freight suggesting that Apple is shipping anything heavier or bigger than the AirPods Pro in any giant volume -- like it does before a Mac update -- right now.

November freight and shipments from China are complex enough in early November given the holiday season, with late November getting really heated for large-scale shipments, like Apple release volumes.

But the Mac Pro!

The Mac Pro is coming, like Apple says, in the fall. Apple has multiple meanings for "fall" with it meaning early for iOS and the iPhone, and late, very late, for the Mac.

The 6,1 cylindrical Mac Pro, and iMac Pro are prime examples of this. They all finally came as late in the fall as they possibly could, while still making the seasonal deadline that Apple set for itself.

The Mac Pro already has FCC approval, and that generally means preorders will start fairly quickly. That doesn't mean anything about shipments, unfortunately.

Besides, Apple has already announced the Mac Pro. It hasn't done the same for a MacBook Pro resize, nor an iPad Pro refresh.

Supply chain mixed signals

We had both pegged for an October event based on discussions from the supply chain. Unless the new update is a minor, low-interest one, like the Vega upgrade in 2018, it is later in the year than ever before for a new MacBook Pro reveal.

Note that the expectation that volume shipments will begin in the fourth quarter, does not mean that the product will launch in the fourth quarter. Apple's iPhone and MacBook Pro lines are staring down a 15% import tariff on December 15 -- meaning that this fourth quarter volume shipments may just be a stock-up pre-launch.

Despite Tim Cook's statements about the tone surrounding the China talks being less negative than it was, there is only lip service that we've heard before about a preliminary consensus in what needs to be discussed. The latest round of discussions seem to revolve around just restoring the agreement status quo back to 2017 levels -- which does not benefit the US or Apple.

From all these rumors

Apple is confounding. It typically holds its cards pretty close to the vest.

Rumors and supply chain whispers are hard to parse, and harder to use to pin down a release window. Tidbits can be gleaned about this sensor or that, one case part or another, but Apple's specific timing and plans Tim Cook has famously said that people shouldn't put a lot of faith in.

For instance, we saw a case part for the 2016 MacBook Pro in April of 2016, suggesting an imminent release. That model didn't launch until November of that year.

The only thing firm we have right now for November and December is the impending release of the $5999 Mac Pro and matching $4999 Pro Display XDR -- but Apple has been pretty clear about that so far.

Today, looking back at all that has been said and done for the last decade and importantly, what Apple wants customers to focus on what debuted on November 1, that looks like it may be it for big-ticket Apple hardware in 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    We might see the AirTags?
    forgot usernamewatto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 41
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Bummer, I was hoping for a Mac mini spec bump.
    GG1applesnorangescat52forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    JinTech said:
    We might see the AirTags?
    Possibly, but that's not really what the article is about, despite the simplistic headline. The holiday season is about to really complicate freight and shipping from China, which is one of the reasons Apple releases iPhones in September.

But, at this point, we've been hearing about these tags for two months.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobraOkiRun
  • Reply 4 of 41
    This is bull! No A13 iPad Pro?! If they’re skipping the fall update I hope they just wait for next fall instead of doing a halfway to out of date Spring release. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Apple TV hasn't been refreshed forever and it seems like with Apple TV+ now would be a great time for some sort of update there. It seems folks are clearing inventory with AT&T selling them for $90 off today.  I a, also hoping for airtags! Seems like a great stocking stuffer? 
    razorpitAppleExposedgregoriusmJCLindnerforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    gfurry said:
    Apple TV hasn't been refreshed forever and it seems like with Apple TV+ now would be a great time for some sort of update there. It seems folks are clearing inventory with AT&T selling them for $90 off today.  I a, also hoping for airtags! Seems like a great stocking stuffer? 
    Why does AppleTV need to be updated? It's not like it doesn't do what Apple wants it to. What else does AppleTV need to do? To me, this would just simply be updating for the sake of updating. 
    mwhitegoodbyeranchcat52forgot usernamepscooter63lkruppchia
  • Reply 7 of 41
    razorpit said:
    We've been wrong before in regards to the mini, but it doesn't look like there's anything in the pipeline at present.
    razorpitcat52watto_cobramelodyof1974OkiRun
  • Reply 8 of 41
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    So my hopes for a new Apple TV are dead. Makes the most sense now than ever.

macxpress said:
    gfurry said:
    Why does AppleTV need to be updated? It's not like it doesn't do what Apple wants it to. What else does AppleTV need to do? To me, this would just simply be updating for the sake of updating. 

Arcade

and hardware innovations like FaceID, AR, Facetime etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    macxpress said:
    gfurry said:
    About the only thing I can think of is Netflix’s outrageous claim that the ATV is not a modern-enough device to handle the choose-the-path selection options in that Black Mirror movie they did. As if. 
    razorpitunbeliever2pscooter63watto_cobraneo-techchia
  • Reply 10 of 41
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    macxpress said:
    gfurry said:
    About the only thing I can think of is Netflix’s outrageous claim that the ATV is not a modern-enough device to handle the choose-the-path selection options in that Black Mirror movie they did. As if. 
    Forgot about that. I wonder if my TiVo is capable of that.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 11 of 41

This is bull! No A13 iPad Pro?! If they’re skipping the fall update I hope they just wait for next fall instead of doing a halfway to out of date Spring release. 
    Why exaclty do you need the A13? Is the A12 too slow? iPads are at the point to where you won't notice any difference in CPU/GPU, especially with the A12. Yes, the A13 is a step up but what are you gonna do with it to where you'd need the extra umph in CPU?
    forgot username
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Seems that I call iPads being refreshed every 18 months.  Anyone else?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41

macxpress said:
    gfurry said:

Arcade

I hightly doubt you'll ever see FaceID and Facetime on ATV. We don't even have FaceID on the Mac yet and you think Apple is gonna come out with FaceID on ATV?

Possibly AR, maybe Arcade, but can't it already play those?
    edited November 2019 mwhitewatto_cobracornchipchia
  • Reply 14 of 41
    vukasika said:
    Seems that I call iPads being refreshed every 18 months.  Anyone else?
    Yeah something like that. We need to get off this notion that if an Apple product isn't updated every single year it's just an outdated piece of shit and nobody should buy it. These products are still perfectly good for the vast majority of its customers. Honestly, I wish they go 18months with iPhone but people would freaking riot if Apple did this. Same with all of their OS's. 

Apple's current line up is a good example of this. They were able to a great quarter with mostly products that weren't updated recently. iPhone doesn't really count because it was only for 2 weeks out of the quarter. And don't give me this crap of but if Apple's products were updated it would have been more. Newer doesn't automatically mean more sales. 
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaysforgot usernamejohnbsiriuspscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 41
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    gfurry said:

Arcade

I hightly doubt you'll ever see FaceID and Facetime on ATV. We don't even have FaceID on the Mac yet and you think Apple is gonna come out with FaceID on ATV?

Possibly AR, maybe Arcade, but can't it already play those?

If there is an camera AR system why not go all out and allow FaceTime Etc? AR would be great for gaming and fitness. When I saw that Facebook TV thing first thought was "Damn! I've been waiting for Apple to do this!"

Yes Arcade works but the graphics and performance are dated. I'd like some better graphics and future proofing. In my opinion, one of Apples mistakes was mandating the support of iPhone 6s (A9?) hardware. Consoles leave Arcade in the dust!
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 16 of 41
    My $$$ is on the Mac Pro and new high end MacBook Pro (16") being released side-by-side within the next two weeks.
    d_2watto_cobraBigDanncornchip
  • Reply 17 of 41

macxpress said:
    gfurry said:

Arcade

what use is AR on a TV? Are you going to look at the wall behind the TV????
    mwhitecornchipchia
  • Reply 18 of 41
    razorpit said:
    We've been wrong before in regards to the mini, but it doesn't look like there's anything in the pipeline at present.
    Hey, we're only 1 year into the 6 year product update cycle! /sarc
    dewmecornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 19 of 41
    macxpress said: Why does AppleTV need to be updated? It's not like it doesn't do what Apple wants it to. What else does AppleTV need to do? To me, this would just simply be updating for the sake of updating. 
    Updating to the A12X would keep it closer to the more recent iPhones/iPads for Apple Arcade purposes. However, the last time they updated the ATV they gave it the same SoC as the iPad Pros that had been released earlier in 2017 (A10X), so it's possible they may do that again in 2020...which would mean Fall release of an A13X ATV. 
  • Reply 20 of 41
    My $$$ is on the Mac Pro and new high end MacBook Pro (16") being released side-by-side within the next two weeks.
    The former is likely, and we'd like the second. The latter just seems doubtful.
    bradchatellierwatto_cobrabb-15cornchipOkiRun