Apple film 'Hala' trailer posted to Twitter

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
The Apple TV+ drama "Hala" produced by Jada Pinkett Smith will reach theaters on Nov. 22 ahead of a streaming release on December 6.

"Hala" is a coming-of-age drama that focuses on a teenage Muslim girl who navigates the discordant worlds of a traditional household and a modern high school in Chicago. Greenwich Entertainment is assisting Apple on release. "Hala" is one of three movies set to hit to theaters ahead of their release on Apple TV+.

Dutiful daughter and daydreamer.

Meet Hala in the Apple Original film, coming to Apple TV+ on Dec 6. #HalaMovie https://t.co/nqkTCa9Joq pic.twitter.com/NW5fcQzmtu

-- Apple TV (@AppleTV)

The trailer shows scenes from the film as the titular protagonist, played by Geraldine Viswanathan, reads from a book she's written in. She discusses the difficulty she finds trying to fit in, as clips show her interfacing with her non-Muslim love interest, skateboarding, and fighting with her family.

The film received accolades at both 2019 Sundance Film Festival and 2019 Toronto International Film Festival.

Apple has recently released the trailer for another of their new film projects, "The Banker," which is set to release to theaters on December 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    So AppleInsider has become a movie site? Is every single release on Apple TV+ going to be announed/reviewed from now on? Why not announce and review every new music album on Apple Music then?
    cornchipSpamSandwichmobirdchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    I appreciate the reviews, comments and announcements of new Apple TV+ content.  Unlike Apple Music, these shows are Apple products and therefore relevant.  If you aren't interested, you don't have to read them.
    minicoffeeSpamSandwichsteveau
  • Reply 3 of 11
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    ilovemom said:
    So AppleInsider has become a movie site? Is every single release on Apple TV+ going to be announed/reviewed from now on? Why not announce and review every new music album on Apple Music then?

TV+ is new. Launched just days ago. Like those "Apple Watch saves another life" articles, as time passes only big announcements will make the news.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ilovemom said:
    Apple Insider... this is an Apple produced film. Seems relatable to a site discussing past, current, and future Apple products.

Likewise, you don’t have to read every article nor comment on every article. Just pass over it and don’t give AI the ad revenue for clicking the article. Vote with your dollars—I mean ad cookie tracker. 
  • Reply 5 of 11
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Looks really good. I love stories about cultural clashes.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Maybe Appleinsider should just provide the links to Billboard, Variety, and The Hollywood Reporter when the relevant announcements are made... ;)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    You know, I think I would just like to see a series of blockbuster 80s style action movies. Arnie in his prime.
    With what has been released so far might as well be watching taxpayer funded tv like ABC (Au). Is PBS the equivalent?

its like Apple is trying overhard to build cred with all the best thinking people that go to the right dinner parties.
     Pixar built cred by concentrating on good. Apple should remember that.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ilovemom said:
    1) We are not a movie site, but yes, every single release on Apple TV+ is going to be announced and reviewed from now on.

2) This would have been obvious if you thought about it -- Apple isn't producing or funding those albums.
    edited November 2019 fastasleepsteveau
  • Reply 9 of 11
    entropys said:
    You know, I think I would just like to see a series of blockbuster 80s style action movies. Arnie in his prime.
    With what has been released so far might as well be watching taxpayer funded tv like ABC (Au). Is PBS the equivalent?

its like Apple is trying overhard to build cred with all the best thinking people that go to the right dinner parties.
     Pixar built cred by concentrating on good. Apple should remember that.
    PBS has nothing like any of this. HBO would be a more apt equivalent. 

I am really enjoying AI's ATV+ content coverage, but boy howdy does it bring out the narrow-minded hater commentary from the forum trolls.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 10 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    That because you are a correct thinking person that gets invited to the best dinner parties.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    entropys said:
    That because you are a correct thinking person that gets invited to the best dinner parties.
    Thank you! That's very nice of you to say.