Everything new in iOS 13.3 -- Changes and performance

Posted:
in iOS
Following the launch of iOS 13.2 a week ago, Apple has once more started up the beta cycle with the first release of iOS 13.3 to developers. Here's an overview of what's new, and what Apple has changed this time around.

iOS 13
iOS 13

Changes and features

Apple Watch app icon in iOS 13.2 versus iOS 13.3
Apple Watch app icon in iOS 13.2 versus iOS 13.3

The first notable change in iOS 13.3 beta 1 is that the Apple Watch app icon was updated slightly. Now instead of a black center to the Digital Crown, there is a grey one instead.

Users also have the option to disable Memoji on the keyboard within Settings. Screen Time now has a communications category that allows users to decide who they can talk to during screen time and their downtime.

Communication Screen Time option in iOS 13.3
Communication Screen Time option in iOS 13.3

Performance

The biggest thing to talk about is performance. With iOS 13.2, a major bug was introduced that killed the multitasking capabilities of iPhones and iPads. Whenever an app would be left, it was killed in the background, losing any progress or work that was done.

In the first beta of iOS 13.3, it is inconclusive if this is fixed. We were able to switch between a bunch of open apps without any of them being killed by the OS. That was an improvement. But when we lock our phone for a few moments and go back, then we did have apps being killed and reloaded.

That amounts to some improvements, but not a complete fix. Hopefully it is further addressed in the beta cycle, and we'll be testing this more going forward.

Any other changes?

If you've spotted anything else reach out on Twitter to @Andrew_OSU and we'll update the article with any further changes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    It’s been a wild ride. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Guys, it's only beta 1! Go and report the bugs and wait for Apple to fix it.
    watto_cobrachaickaMplsP
  • Reply 3 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    The only thing I've noticed so far is with the installation. On my 256 GB iPad Pro I got a dialog during installation asking me whether it was okay to remove some applications during the install to free space ... and that they would all be restored post-installation. This seems more than a bit odd seeing how the iPad in question has more than 70 GB of free storage and the install download is in the 3.5 GB range. Even uncompressed I can't figure out why the installation would need to remove and reinstall apps during the update when I have such an enormous amount of free space available. Perhaps there's a fragmentation issue or, more likely, some really bad logic in the installation script.  Hey, it's a Beta 1, so there's no limit on the amount of embarrassing sloppiness that can be put forth. I guess this is the new norm.
    watto_cobrachiaktappe
  • Reply 4 of 22
    They need to fix the web app / PWA mess they created in iOS 13 with the forced toolbar on top and still crippling web apps without access to the camera or any advanced features that safari allows. 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    The last public release killed the LTE on my iPad.  Reset all networking etc.  nothing worked until I ejected my sim...

Apple better testing please... (also make ejecting the sim less of a pain in the @#$)

I’d never be a beta tester unless I got paid for it.

Don’t do it people.  Don’t chase the shinies...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Non-beta releases are bad enough. These betas... I would never install one.
    tabaks
  • Reply 7 of 22
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I seriously don't know what's worse. Apple's continued decline in quality control (software & hardware) Soo many problems/bugs nowadays. Or the fact that the competition, STILL HAS NOT been able to make something better. LOSE LOSE as far as i'm concerened.
    tabaksmatrix077dysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    digitol said:
    I seriously don't know what's worse. Apple's continued decline in quality control (software & hardware) Soo many problems/bugs nowadays. Or the fact that the competition, STILL HAS NOT been able to make something better. LOSE LOSE as far as i'm concerened.
    They’ve backed themselves into a corner with the annual release cycle.

Much better to simply release an OS when it is ready.
    cy_starkmanchaickallamadysamoriarazorpittabaks
  • Reply 9 of 22
    The last public release killed the LTE on my iPad.  Reset all networking etc.  nothing worked until I ejected my sim...

Apple better testing please... (also make ejecting the sim less of a pain in the @#$)

I’d never be a beta tester unless I got paid for it.

Don’t do it people.  Don’t chase the shinies...
    i believe you can simply go into settings and turn off any mobile plan/sim if you want.. or maybe that is only active because i have a dual sim scenario. shrug
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I have not installed 13.2, I have no plans to, either. I will not install any new iteration unless I get a clear picture that some SERIOUS bugs were fixed. As far as I'm concerned, I have dug in on 13.1.3 and will be completely comfortable never to upgrade, if that's what it takes. I do NOT trust Apple any more, I don't believe they're capable to run the quality game as they used to. Not even remotely! Sad, truly sad.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 22
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I don't own an Apple Watch and so have never seen its icon before, but man, is that the worst icon design ever. Why would you show the watch in profile with its strap? Look at the Calculator and Camera icons — are those shown edge on? No they're not, because that would be stupid. Viewed face on, the Apple Watch is instantly recognizable by its characteristic shape and proportions, so why not do the natural thing for an icon? That's just weird. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    saarek said:
    digitol said:
    They’ve backed themselves into a corner with the annual release cycle.

Much better to simply release an OS when it is ready.
    That's what they used to do in the 2000's. An OS cycle could be well over a year (10.5 took 2.5 years!). 

It wasn't any better. Versions were large and sometimes felt bloated - too many changes rolled up into one.

The yearly cycle was gladly welcomed. 

They still need to improve on estimating and crystal-balling, and in not rushing; yet delivering enough oomph to make a splash. It's a fine line.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    To the people complaining above, go back and read @Ciprol’s post. This is a BETA release. That means they expect there to be bugs and they are still working on them and by installing it you agree to this and agree to help debug the OS by reporting them. If you are not ok with this then don’t install it. 

Complaints about bugs is final releases are valid. In a beta release, virtually never. 
  • Reply 14 of 22
    It wasn't any better. Versions were large and sometimes felt bloated - too many changes rolled up into one.

The yearly cycle was gladly welcomed. 

They still need to improve on estimating and crystal-balling, and in not rushing; yet delivering enough oomph to make a splash. It's a fine line.
    They get all the "oomph" they need from the hardware releases. Consumers, unlike us nerds, don't get excited about new capabilities for their old devices; they get excited about new devices.

Mark my words: Apple is going to switch to a continuous release cycle a la Chrome. They have to. Hardware-dependent features like night-mode photography will still be tied to device releases, but "oh hey Reminders on Mac has a new design" features are just going to trickle out whenever they're ready. The current model where "we release it in October whether it's done or not" simply isn't sustainable. "Better estimating and crystal-balling" won't cut the mustard, because that means making hard decisions about punting features that will be ready in, say, December all the way out to the following October.

TBH they're already halfway there; every major release for the past three years has had major features get delayed all the way out to March. It's embarrassing and becoming increasingly pointless.

How they change to a culture of continuous deployment, TDD, and getting real about bug feedback is going to be the next big "Apple is evolving" story.
    razorpit
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    MplsP said:
    To the people complaining above, go back and read @Ciprol’s post. This is a BETA release. That means they expect there to be bugs and they are still working on them and by installing it you agree to this and agree to help debug the OS by reporting them. If you are not ok with this then don’t install it. 

Complaints about bugs is final releases are valid. In a beta release, virtually never. 
    We know. I said that the non-beta releases are bad enough and wouldn’t ever try an actual beta... but there’s almost no difference any more.
    razorpittabaks
  • Reply 16 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    dysamoria said:
    MplsP said:

We know. I said that the non-beta releases are bad enough and wouldn’t ever try an actual beta... but there’s almost no difference any more.
    Yeah - my comment was directed at all the people complaining about bugs in the beta version. 

Catalina and iOS 13 seem to be worse than normal - my impression is that they were rushed to be ready with the hardware releases, but who knows. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    digitol said:

iOS 13 is one of the most stable releases in iPhone history. The difference is anything Apple related is placed under a microscope. If a bug affects .01% of users it's another #Gate and front page news.
    smiffy31
  • Reply 18 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    neilm said:
    I don't own an Apple Watch and so have never seen its icon before, but man, is that the worst icon design ever. Why would you show the watch in profile with its strap? Look at the Calculator and Camera icons — are those shown edge on? No they're not, because that would be stupid. Viewed face on, the Apple Watch is instantly recognizable by its characteristic shape and proportions, so why not do the natural thing for an icon? That's just weird. 
    This is just how Apple markets the Watch.

https://postimg.cc/HJSSpmGR

Stupid forum won't let me upload the pic.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Does it fix the intermittent Bluetooth audio distortion problem introduced in 13.2?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    MarcoPas said:
    Does it fix the intermittent Bluetooth audio distortion problem introduced in 13.2?
    I use BT audio on my iPhone X & 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" all the time - no random/intermittent BT audio distortion here...  

What BT device are you hearing this on?  I use AirPods (now AirPods Pro) and no distortion.