Hundreds of thousands of iPads will be used with smart AR security glasses

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2019
In what is believed to be the biggest single order of smart glasses to date, security firm Sword is buying an initial 10,000 Vuzix Blade AR headgear sets -- and pairing each to Apple's iPad.

A pair of Vuzix Blade Smart Glasses
A pair of Vuzix Blade Smart Glasses

Security firm Sword is to begin a mass rollout of Vuzix smart glasses to be used in conjunction with iPads for a threat detection system intended for airports, sports arenas and federal buildings. Apple has not announced the deal and no details of the iPads are yet known, but Sword has confirmed it is spending an initial $7.1 million on the smart glasses.

Vuzix Blade Smart Glasses are an AR headset in the style of basic spectacles, and information can be displayed on them from a smartphone or other device. The glasses ordered for Sword are reported the same as the ones that can be bought by consumers and feature Amazon Alexa support.

Sword is a security system intended to be used in places such as airports where the wearer can have a hands-free view of data about items they're required to search. In Sword's case, the Vuzix glasses are to be paired to iPads which are running proprietary apps and also utilizing proprietary hardware.

Currently, Sword supplies customers with 9.7-inch iPad in a case that has extra electronics including a camera system which, through an undisclosed method, is reportedly able to detect concealed weapons.

When a person is in view of the case's camera, a 3D modelled image of that person is displayed with any weapons highlighted on the connected iPad.

Vuzix Blade smart glasses do have a camera and the company has said other firms are using face recognition with it. However, it's not clear whether the glasses contribute to feeding video to the iPad for analysis, or are solely to unobtrusively show alerts to security personnel.

Sword's $7.1 million order will buy 10,000 of the Vuzix Blade, and sources familiar with the two companies have said they expect that to increase to hundreds of thousands of orders, each with an iPad, in the near future.

"Sword is the world's first, mobile, proactive, multiple threat detection and identification device," says the official site. "Our multi-tier technologies, including a 6-hour lithium battery, are embedded in a military-grade case and secured to an Apple iPad 9.7."

Vuzix claims that adding the glasses to Sword's offering means that the see-through display will "allow security personnel to quickly and inconspicuously receive real-time critical threat notifications."

"The combination of technology offerings between Vuzix and Sword has all the makings of a disruptive and game changing product offering for public safety and the security industry," said Paul Travers, Vuzix President and Chief Executive Officerin a statement.

"Vuzix Blade Smart Glasses are the ideal wearable solution to pair with our Sword Enterprise solution," said Sword Enterprise founder and CEO, Barry Oberholzer. "The see-through smart glasses allow our customers to stay engaged with their environment, while also simultaneously receiving critical alerts related to safety threats."

Sword and Vuzix glasses are intended to replace or at least reduce the need for the more familiar archway scanner used by the TSA in airports.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    My boyhood fantasies finally come to life.

edited November 2019 jax44AppleExposedronnradarthekatStrangeDaysCloudTalkinchasm
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Doubt it works as portrayed in their promo video. Accuracy of that sort would require millimeter wave scanning of a person who is standing perfectly still.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,119member
    "If you're in the military, the danger of being attacked by an unknown assailant with a deadly agenda increases dramatically."

May be the most needlessly bizarre thing I'll hear today.

And then I heard the line about drones…

SpamSandwich: the site confirms the cases include a "Proprietary mmWave Hardware Stack" and a 4,500mAh battery
    edited November 2019 minicoffee
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I can’t find a single customer listed on their website.  I smell B.S.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    There are a whole line of shysters trying to scare schools into buying their security theater product that might save a person. No customers are listed because they don’t want to be castigated when it does work. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 21
    That video was comical.  It reminds me of the propaganda from Iron Man 3's the Mandarin.  The CEO Barry Oberholzer - tee hee - just google this dude.  @SpamSandwich ; is right.  Weapon detection would require mmWave tech and a still subject.  @mknelson This dude claims his mmWave tech can detect a weapon from up to 40ft away.  If that doesn't make you give him a long side eye... take a gander at the "awards" they've given to themselves won.  One thing: SWORD Smartphone Security Scanner apparently won the same award 6 times; 3 at the platinum level and 3 at the gold level, but all 6 claimed at the platinum level.  (derp).  Now if you go further down the rabbit hole, you'll find the ASTOR awards are actually for different things, but SWORD can't be bothered with accuracy on their own site.  You may ask yourself, "Self, wth is an ASTOR award?"  Glad you asked.  See for yourself https://americansecuritytoday.com/ast-names-2018-astors-homeland-security-awards-winners-at-the-javits-center-in-nyc/  

tl;dr Everything about this screams scam.
    coolfactorlkruppSpamSandwichradarthekatkudu
  • Reply 7 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Just a thought: Apple should supply AR Glasses to enterprise for R&D purposes. They don't have to be pretty, they just need to work well enough to fix issues before a mass rollout.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Drone counter measures? 🤔 

Also I guess we’re at the point where we have AR overlays indicating armed threats to shoot at... or at least people who might trigger it with a vape in their pocket or whatever. Definitely can’t see anything go wrong here. 
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 9 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Just a thought: Apple should supply AR Glasses to enterprise for R&D purposes. They don't have to be pretty, they just need to work well enough to fix issues before a mass rollout.
    Yeah, that totally sounds like something Apple would do. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedCloudTalkin
  • Reply 10 of 21
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    'What the world needs... is Sword. Get your KickStarter Price now!'

Ok, this claims to do a lot, in what appears to be a very small package. I'd want that thing to be able to detect a badge as well as a gun. Might not go well for a security guard to unknowingly jack up the wrong person. 

The video does lay on the scare a little thick but it's not wholly out in left field. There are a lot of people who are illegally carrying firearms and knives. Some are truly bad guys and some clueless people who think they're protecting themselves. Were this as good as the video claims, I'd expect some good and no small measure of abuse as a result. A sword is usually a double edged weapon that cuts both ways.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

I didn't say it sounded like something Apple would do.

Nice try though....
  • Reply 12 of 21
    macgui said:
    'What the world needs... is Sword. Get your KickStarter Price now!'

Ok, this claims to do a lot, in what appears to be a very small package. I'd want that thing to be able to detect a badge as well as a gun. Might not go well for a security guard to unknowingly jack up the wrong person. 

The video does lay on the scare a little thick but it's not wholly out in left field. There are a lot of people who are illegally carrying firearms and knives. Some are truly bad guys and some clueless people who think they're protecting themselves. Were this as good as the video claims, I'd expect some good and no small measure of abuse as a result. A sword is usually a double edged weapon that cuts both ways.
    Dude's a charlatan.  His "tech" is bogus.  The claims he's making aren't possible using the tech he's describing.  Here's an earlier version of his sales pitch using a Pixel 2XL and an iPhone 8 Plus.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=87&v=bxR0n_iarQI&feature=emb_logo  Watch the video and giggle.  Then cry when you realize there are people gullible enough to think any of the claims are real.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    It sounds like another Theranos wannabe.
    CloudTalkinGeorgeBMacmacguifastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 21
    It’d be cool if it works but it won’t. Look at the guy then Google him. He’s a fraud. 

• Reply 15 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    True!   But that does not mean that something like it is not coming in the near future.
    The analogy might be the face shield on the helmet of F35 which is a primary part of what (supposedly) sets the plane apart.

In this case, the glasses can be both input and output devices:  relaying real time data (sight and sound) to a central site while projecting real time information back to that same wearer of the glasses -- say to pin point a potential threat or identify good guys versus bad guys in a crowd.

While this sounds like science fiction, it was not very long ago that things an Apple Watch does everyday was science fiction.   Even StarTrek relied on flip-phones.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    True!   But that does not mean that something like it is not coming in the near future.
    The analogy might be the face shield on the helmet of F35 which is a primary part of what (supposedly) sets the plane apart.

In this case, the glasses can be both input and output devices:  relaying real time data (sight and sound) to a central site while projecting real time information back to that same wearer of the glasses -- say to pin point a potential threat or identify good guys versus bad guys in a crowd.

While this sounds like science fiction, it was not very long ago that things an Apple Watch does everyday was science fiction.   Even StarTrek relied on flip-phones.
    I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not something like this is going to be possible in the future. It is. Everyone is questioning whether the Sword guy is pushing BS right now.  Well, I don't think anyone is really questioning that.  I think we all know he's pushing BS right now.  This guy's hustle doesn't even rise to the level of Theranos. 

The glasses are real.  Heck, if you have a spare $800 you can have them in your home in a couple of days.  Sword's tech on the otherhand... 
    macgui
  • Reply 17 of 21
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Wow, it makes my tablet work in the dark too. I want this! Oh wait . . . 
  • Reply 18 of 21

I didn't say it sounded like something Apple would do.

Nice try though....
    No, you said it's something they should do, which is even funnier.
    CloudTalkin
  • Reply 19 of 21
    He's a fraud.  
  • Reply 20 of 21

Hey everyone I works I had the privilege to see it working and in an uncontrolled environment.., it’s a phenomenal piece of Kit, the reason you don’t see a list of clients is you need and end user license, as it now a restricted item, if you dig a little bit deeper you uncover who the main players are and where this is going., Anyone know What Barry’s Warrant for arrest is For????