'Apple Watch Series 6' expected to have better waterproofing, wireless connectivity

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Work on the "Apple Watch Series 6" is already underway, with Ming-Chi Kuo expecting the new model to have faster wireless connectivity, better performance, and be more water resistant.

According to a note to investors written by Ming-Chi Kuo seen by AppleInsider, switching to a new motherboard interconnect material is the key to the improvements. Kuo has spoken about liquid crystal polymer (LCP) before as it pertains to antennae, but this is the first time that he's included it in a technology for the Apple Watch.

Apple's current crop of Apple Watch models is water resistant to 50 meters. The last improvement in waterproofing was in the Apple Watch Series 2, and it isn't presently clear how LCP interconnects even to the Digital Crown would help this waterproofing at all.

LCP is a low-cost organic flexible substrate and has a few unique electrical properties that make it desirable for conductors like motherboard interconnects and antennae. It behaves consistently across the entire radio frequency range, and has a very low resistance making it useful for 5G technologies in an iPhone and for small connection points between components, like what is required in an Apple Watch. It also has a low thermal expansion coefficient, making it stable across temperatures.

Kuo has said that the material will be used in the so-called "iPhone SE 2" as well as in the "iPhone 12" families for different uses. Where Murata was expected to provide the antenna technology for the iPhone, Kuo predicts that Avary and Flexium Interconnect will be the primary beneficiaries of Apple's adoption in the "Apple Watch Series 6."

Kuo's other predictions make sense. Apple is using Wi-Fi 6 in the iPhone, and a shift to it in the Apple Watch would be logical. Additionally, the S5 chip varied from the S4 only in how much flash storage it contained and a new compass, so an improvement in processing power in the 2020 Apple Watch makes sense as well.

Others believe that the "Apple Watch Series 6" will shift away from OLED to a microLED display. A previous report has also claimed that sleep tracking will be added to the Apple Watch in 2020, but battery life may have to improve for that.

Sleep tracking could be implemented as an extension of the existing Bedtime feature that was introduced in iOS 10. This is a very basic alarm that tells you what time to go to bed if you say how long you want to sleep and when you need to get up. However, it also integrates with the Health app to show at least some details of your sleep history.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    It sounds like the overall Apple Watch design won’t change, and I’m fine with that..
    dws-2jahbladecaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I was so sure that we would have a round version of Apple Watch by now. Especially when I saw some of the complications rounded off and tilted in the corners. Wonder what happened.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Wonder if they will ever come out with blood pressure monitor. Don’t think I’ll upgrade to from a 5 to a 6. Love the 5. 
  • Reply 4 of 30
    PhillyJim said:
    I was so sure that we would have a round version of Apple Watch by now. Especially when I saw some of the complications rounded off and tilted in the corners. Wonder what happened.
    What happened is that a round design doesn't make sense, which is why Apple didn't adopt one to begin with. It would be stupid. Scrolling content and scrolling lists are both not feasible on a round watch face. The *only* reason to have a watch face be round is if you are being an idiot and hewing to old mechanical designs with hands rotating around a center point. The complications you mention in the corners would not be possible on a round face, either, since there wouldn't be extra space in the corners for them.
    SoliStrangeDaysdws-2redraider11fastasleepcaladaniansteveaudave marshurahararight_said_fred
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Unless Apple warrants the watch against water damage, any improvement in waterproofing is pretty meaningless to me.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    bonobob said:
    Unless Apple warrants the watch against water damage, any improvement in waterproofing is pretty meaningless to me.
    My wife swims with her Apple Watch, so unless you plan to go deeper than 50 meters, you should be good.
    right_said_fred
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Appleish said:
    bonobob said:
    My wife swims with her Apple Watch, so unless you plan to go deeper than 50 meters, you should be good.
    Had my Series 2 fail sitting in a pool at 1.5 years old. I suspect it was the Digital Crown. 

Took me 30 minutes to convince the idiot Apple “Genius” that it was water damage given the circumstances and device behavior. He admitted later on that he agreed. Of course, water damage isn’t covered sooooo. Had to buy a new one. If this one goes the same route, going to move on to another brand. 
    bonobob
  • Reply 8 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Appleish said:
    bonobob said:
    I'm certain he knows that and I agree with his sentiment. His comment is about being protected under warranty if it were to get water damage. Maybe it's outdated info or only applied to the iPhone, but I seem to recall that Apple wouldn't fix or replace a device under warranty if water damage was evident despite the IP rating. Apple also states that the rating can lessen over time and that other types of use, like a sauna or steam room, can cause ingress despite it not being 50 M under water.

That said, I've swam with my Watch since Series 0 with no issues.
    bonobob
  • Reply 9 of 30
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Work on the "Apple Watch Series 6" is already underway, with Ming-Chi Kuo expecting the new model to have faster wireless connectivity, better performance, and be more water resistant.
    Others believe that the "Apple Watch Series 6" will shift away from OLED to a microLED display. A previous report has also claimed that sleep tracking will be added to the Apple Watch in 2020, but battery life may have to improve for that.

If by work, you mean qualification of the components and assembly for mass production, yup, work is already underway. But the feature set was likely determined and finalized 6 months ago. Going with microLED is major supply chain change, and Kuo should be knee deep in that if he still has his network of supply chain sources. So, if he is not saying microLED displays are coming to the 2020 Watch models, don’t think it is coming.
    Solifastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 30
    seankill said:
    Appleish said:
    bonobob said:
    Had my Series 2 fail sitting in a pool at 1.5 years old. I suspect it was the Digital Crown. 

Took me 30 minutes to convince the idiot Apple “Genius” that it was water damage given the circumstances and device behavior. He admitted later on that he agreed. Of course, water damage isn’t covered sooooo. Had to buy a new one. If this one goes the same route, going to move on to another brand. 
    Then you will be moving on unfortunately.  As @Soli mentioned, the level of water resistance, indicated by a device's IP rating, degrades over time. It is not a static level of resistance.  After 1.5 years, it's not surprising the resistance failed you.  The adhesives and polymers used to achieve that water resistance aren't in the same state as they were when you purchased the watch.  As far as finding a brand that covers water damage... ain't happenin'.  None of them do that because they all know the same thing: water resistance degrades over time.  That degradation is different for everyone because multiple variable factor into how quickly it happens.  
    Appleish said:
    bonobob said:
    Your anecdote doesn't alter the fact that the watch isn't warranted against water damage.  If her watch failed due to water damage, it would not be covered under warranty.  She swims with her watch at her own risk.  I seriously doubt Apple or any of their competitors will ever warrant their wearables against water damage because they know the water resistance isn't permanent.
    edited November 2019 bonobob
  • Reply 11 of 30
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Ten years ago, the idea that my smartphone would be as powerful as my computer seemed impossible. I'm hoping that the Apple Watch will continue to grow at that pace, although this year at least, they focused on processor battery usage. MicroLED should also help with power usage. I don't know why, but the watch excites me even more than the iPhone did at that point in its development. I'm constantly amazed by all it can do, and battery life seems to be the only thing currently holding it back.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    PhillyJim said:
    Hopefully, they came to their senses and realized it wasn’t a good idea.
    lkruppbonobob
  • Reply 13 of 30
    pslice said:
    Wonder if they will ever come out with blood pressure monitor. Don’t think I’ll upgrade to from a 5 to a 6. Love the 5. 
    Supposedly, with the two sensors they have now, blood pressure can be derived. It’s software.
    caladanian
  • Reply 14 of 30
    bonobob said:
    Nobody does. Way back, when I used to scuba dive, I had an Omega dive watch. Obviously, this was intended for diving. But the warranty said that it wasn’t warranted against water intrusion unless THEY decided that it was a factory defect. This was a $5,000 watch over 30 years ago.

the problem is that none of these devices, by anyone, tells just how deep the device was when water seeped in. How does Apple, Samsung, or anybody else know that you stayed within the rating?

i see iPhones tested to 30 feet without a problem. But that doesn’t mean that every iPhone will be ok at that depth. When I was diving, 50 meters was below the normal depth of a dive. I could get special mixes and go further, but that was a hassle. So 50 meters is fine, though Apple does say that this is not a diving watch.

but occasionally a product will be defective, and fail before the rating is reached. If Apple is selling a good 20 million watches a year, and I believe it higher than that, I would expect a few to not meet the rating.
    edited November 2019 StrangeDaysright_said_fred
  • Reply 15 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bonobob said:
    Do some research and come back to us with the name of a watchmaker that warrants its product against water damage. We’ll wait.
    right_said_fred
  • Reply 16 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

PhillyJim said:
    Nobody wanted a round Watch.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Yes there should only be one shape of Watch just as there is only one shape of car, one type of motor vehicle, one shape of motor vehicle, one phone, one desktop, one lap top, etc.

Not all of Apple's products in a lineup have all the same features and functions. Compromises are made not only for performance, but for style.

Which is to say for those who chose to firmly bury their heads up their asses, not only can a round watch not do everything a rectangular watch can, it doesn't have to. Not everybody will use all the functionality of the current Watch. 

It made sense for Apple to start with a rectangular watch as their goal was certainly to deliver a maximum about of information for maximum utility for a broad market appeal. So I think it's very early to expect Apple to go round.

Only idiots lacking vision (by virtue of their HUA posture) would assume that a round smartwatch has no market. Apple products have always been about style vs function, and sometimes style over function resulting in much whining and handwringing by their customers.

It will be a few years, but I bet they will have a round smartwatch. They only recently started making rectangular faces for other than the Hermès line. I highly doubt Apple has dismissed the idea outright, unlike the haters who don't want to see Apple make one for whatever stupid-ass reason. Such fools seem to almost always believe it's an either/or situation.

Apple grew a market for the iPhone. Apple grew a market for the iMac. Apple grew a market for the iPad. Apple grew a market for the Watch, all despite constant outcries of people proclaiming 'Nobody wants that!'

I've every confidence Apple can and will one day make a round Watch and grow a market for it.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    macgui said:

It will be a few years, but I bet they will have a round smartwatch. 
    Almost five years in, still absolutely no sign of this despite the same comments made before it was even released. Aaaanny year now, right? 

Sorry, but I don't see it -- the sole reason that a watch/clock is round due to arms circling a center point, none of which exists on a wrist computer watch. Rectangular is simply more useful when it comes to data elements per surface area. Same reason Casio Databank wasn't round -- it just doesn't make sense.

edited November 2019 adaeon
  • Reply 19 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    bonobob said:
    Do some research and come back to us with the name of a watchmaker that warrants its product against water damage. We’ll wait.
    You do the research. In the meantime, I will continue to keep my watch out of water.  If and when Apple decides to warrant the watch against water damage, I will reconsider my use choices.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I have a series 3, pretty happy with it. Aside from medical features, what would you like to see more? I'm not a heavy watch user, I use my watch for health/sports, some notifications, but that's it. Curious to hear what people are missing? (aside from improved tech specs)