Why can't we delete?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I posted a dumb question that I answered myself maybe 5 minutes later. So Why is my thread now a lame duck, rather than just deleted by me? So why can't we delete our own threads?

Here it is if any of you moderators care to delete:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000306"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000306</A>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    If people were allowed to delete their own posts, situations could arise where someone would post, people would reply, then the original poster would delete: thus rendering the topic a mess, as people would be responding to things that aren't there.

That's the long and short of it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How about deleting the whole topic not just the post?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    EmAn:

We'd have similar problems in that case. Say, for example, MaDTooL starts a flame thread that actually develops into an interesting discussion. If he doesn't like where the discussion is going, Click! the thread is gone. Can you see how that could disrupt the forums?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yeah, I guess you're right.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Plus, it would be an easy way for people to increase their post counts very quickly, and erase the evidence.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    That's kinda like what happened at a secret part of the old AI (you guys know what I'm talking about)... with my "My 800th Post" topic it got to a lot of posts and real-time chat conversations at some points and after a while I deleted it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    You should be able to delete your own topic if nobody has replied to it. Also, perhaps, you should be able to delete your own post if it is currently the last post in the topic.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by qazII:

<strong>You should be able to delete your own topic if nobody has replied to it. Also, perhaps, you should be able to delete your own post if it is currently the last post in the topic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

very good suggestion. i'll see if it is possible.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by qazII:

<strong>You should be able to delete your own topic if nobody has replied to it. Also, perhaps, you should be able to delete your own post if it is currently the last post in the topic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good idea.