AMD's $799 Radeon Pro W5700 offers a potential GPU alternative for the Mac Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
AMD has updated its workstation graphics card lineup ahead of the launch of the new Mac Pro, with the Radeon Pro W5700 line using AMD's high-performance RDNA graphics architecture and offering up to six display outputs, including one over USB-C.

AMD Radeon Pro W5700 GPU

Launched on Tuesday, the Radeon Pro W5700 is declared as the world's first PC workstation graphics card that uses a 7-nanometer process to make the GPU. The professional counterpart to the consumer-aimed Radeon RX5700 from June, the W5700 continues the momentum of that graphics card launch, but for the professional market.

The Radeon Pro W5700 offers 36 compute units and 8GB of GGDR6 memory, the same as the consumer model, but the performance has been improved so it offers up to 8.89 teraflops at the top end, versus the 7.95 of the RX5700. The card also has 448 gigabytes per second of memory bandwidth, while the switch to the RDNA graphics architecture is said to offer a 25% better performance per compute unit than the previous GCN architecture, and a thermal design point of 205 Watts.

In terms of performance over the previous generation, AMD claims the new Radeon Pro W5700 offers up to 41% higher average performance per Watt over GCN, in comparisons against the Radeon Pro WX8200. Against its main rival, the Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, the Radeon Pro is also claimed to be 18% more power efficient, both under load and at idle.

At the same time, the Radeon Pro is more powerful than the Quadro in benchmarks using professional software suites Solidworks, Catia, and Autodesk's Maya by between 4% and 7%. Under a frames-per-second comparison on synthetic benchmarks, the Radeon Pro comes out on top in the Unity VR "London Office" demo at 94fps to 92fps and the Enscape "Mansion" demo at 58fps to 55fps, but is just behind the Quadro RTX in the Unity Automotive Benchmark at 93fps to 92fps.

AMD makes the claim the W5700 is far better at handling multitasking performance, with a 5.6 times better application workflow performance in the SpecViewPerf 13 benchmark while under CPU load than the Quadro RTX 4000.

In terms of other notable elements the Radeon Pro W5700 has six display outputs, consisting of five mini DisplayPort connections alongside a single USB-C port, one which is capable of up to 15W of power delivery, with the card also offering up to an 8K resolution for video.

AMD intends to make the card more useful for its intended professional market by scheduling a main enterprise driver release on a quarterly basis. The reason is due to AMD performing enhanced stress testing of the drivers for 24-hour working environments, as well as extensive testing on multiple hardware vendor platforms to ensure it works as expected before release.

Part of the AMD Radeon Pro Software for the card is AMD Remote Workstation, which allows workers to remotely access the workstation with the installed card, such as from a notebook at home or on a business trip. The thinking of this is to enable access to the performance of the card for work while away from the office on a lower-powered computer, something AMD believes will be essential due to predictions 72% of the US workforce will be mobile by 2020.

The card will include support for wireless professional VR applications via Radeon ReLive for VR, including the HTC Vive Focus Plus, with support for VR product design tools and platforms such as Unreal Studio, Unity, and SolidWorks also promised.

The Radeon Pro W5700 is priced at $799, and is available from today, with users in the US able to acquire it from B&H Photo and Newegg.

The card is certainly one of interest for the intended customers of Apple's modular Mac Pro, which could be offered as an alternative to the Radeon Pro Vega II and Duo graphics cards that will be available for the workstation. Whereas the Vega II and Duo will be usable only in one of the Mac Pro's MPX Module bays, the W5700's use of PCIe 4 means it will work with any of the PCIe 3 slots in the case, as well as in eGPU enclosures for use with Macs, MacBooks, and other computer hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Usually the Radeon Pro have ECC RAM justifying the higher price compared to the identical chip in the consumer cards, odd this one doesn't.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    AMD are firing on all cylinders these days!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Why would they limit the card to USB C and not support Thunderbolt 3?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Love the rotating Design Viewport comparison part in the video where some wag ultra slowed and added video glitches to NVIDIA's screen.  Pure evil genius.  ROFL
    edited November 2019 razorpitphilboogiecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    omasou said:
    Why would they limit the card to USB C and not support Thunderbolt 3?
    Thunderbolt has to be built in to the logic board. It's essentially PCI over a cable.

Technically it sounds feasible, but I can imagine it would add a huge amount to the cost of the card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    w
    Usually the Radeon Pro have ECC RAM justifying the higher price compared to the identical chip in the consumer cards, odd this one doesn't.
    No, they don't use ECC RAM, but they do typically use HBM2. GDDR6 is still way behind HBM2, but it is fast enough that it doesn't add significant additional latency - meaning, substantially faster than the GDDR5 it replaces in consumer cards. That said, AMD did say a while back that they were moving away from HBM2 across the board - likely due to pricing and packaging complexity.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting board!   I can see Apple charging $1500 for this card.   
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    darksi08 said:
    w
    No, they don't use ECC RAM, but they do typically use HBM2. GDDR6 is still way behind HBM2, but it is fast enough that it doesn't add significant additional latency - meaning, substantially faster than the GDDR5 it replaces in consumer cards. That said, AMD did say a while back that they were moving away from HBM2 across the board - likely due to pricing and packaging complexity.
    When did AMD say that they have driven up on HBM2?    It would be rather sad because HBM2 could do wonders for the APU chips.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    God I love their Pro shrouds. Way better looking than the gamer-bling ones. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wizard69 said:
    LOL. Good one.  However, if they did why wouldn't you just buy from AMD?
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MacPro said:
    wizard69 said:
    Because the stock model won't come with Mac firmware and as a result you won't have a boot screen unless you flash the card or you keep the card that comes with the Mac Pro and use it when you need boot options. Also, I don't think you can use FileVault without a card running Mac firmware.
    edited November 2019 philboogie
  • Reply 12 of 15
    oseame said:
    MacPro said:
    wizard69 said:
    Because the stock model won't come with Mac firmware and as a result you won't have a boot screen unless you flash the card or you keep the card that comes with the Mac Pro and use it when you need boot options. Also, I don't think you can use FileVault without a card running Mac firmware.
    why do you think Apple keeps boot options on the video card? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    oseame said:
    MacPro said:
    wizard69 said:
    why do you think Apple keeps boot options on the video card? 
    They don't but if you alt-boot (into the "which device do you want to boot from" or "enter your firmware password" screens) you can't see what you're doing (it is literally a black screen) if your GPU doesn't have Mac firmware on it. Hence as Oseame said, you need to either flash a (PC) GPU to have Mac Firmware on it, or you need the original Mac GPU that came with your Mac so you can swap it in whenever you need to access the boot screens. The problem with the first approach (flashing) is it's not trivial / you can easily brick your card if you don't know what you're doing. The problem with the latter is that the original card that came with your Mac may no longer be able to boot the current OS.

For instance the last of the cheesegrater Mac Pros (2012) came with cards that aren't Metal compatible. So if you added a PC (non-flashed) GPU, which was Metal compatible, then your Mac suddenly had an adrenaline boost in day to day usage. However if you then tried to install a newer macOS that as one of the system requirements required a Metal-compatible card, you can't: it runs the installer (once downloaded), reboots into the .dmg of the installer, finds no Metal compatible card with Mac firmware on it (to show you the installer wizard), bails, and boots back into whatever OS you came from beforehand. So in that particular situation, only a Metal compatible card that was either a "Mac" version (£££) or a PC version that had been flashed with Mac firmware, would get you to that later macOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    w
    wizard69 said:
    darksi08 said:
    w
    When did AMD say that they have driven up on HBM2?    It would be rather sad because HBM2 could do wonders for the APU chips.  
    I agree, I'm a big fan of HBM2 - I'd rather pay the extra few bucks. I read an article specifically about AMD and their memory changes with Navi a while back, but here's the only thing I could find after a quick Google search. And, sorry - it says that AMD is EXPECTED to move away, not that they've announced as much - so there is still hope! https://www.extremetech.com/computing/289391-hbm2-vs-gddr6-new-video-compares-contrasts-memory-types "Navi, at least, is anticipated to be a GDDR6 chip and all of Nvidia’s refreshed Turing cards have relied on the RAM type. It’s generally expected that AMD will also move away from HBM2 once it refreshes its high-end GPUs."
    watto_cobra