Apple returns to concert streaming with Billie Eilish performance, reportedly inks $25M de...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple hosted inaugural Apple Music Awards global artist of the year Billie Eilish for an intimate acoustic performance at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater on Wednesday, an event that was live-streamed on Apple Music. The company also reportedly signed a deal for exclusive rights to a documentary about the pop sensation that should debut next year.

Eilish and brother Finneas took the stage at 6:30 p.m. Pacific, following a brief but plaudit-filled introduction from Apple Music DJ Zane Lowe.

Emerging from behind the branches of one of the many trees that, along with a lone searchlight, adorned the Es Devlin-designed set -- one teaser invited listeners to "head into the forest with Billie Eilish" -- Lowe welcomed Eilish, Finneas and gathered fans to Apple Park. He made clear that the concert was as much for Apple Music and its community as it was for the award winners, noting Apple's commitment to artists and the wider industry.

Properly introduced, Eilish and Finneas ran through a back-to-back acoustic set that included the pair's early hits and nearly every track off the Apple Music Awards album of the year "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" Eilish took time between songs to interact with the crowd assembled from lucky fans invited to Apple's campus specifically for the event.

"I've never done this kind of thing before, it's kind of crazy," Eilish said.

The performance will be available for on-demand streaming through Apple Music.

For Apple, tonight's show marks a return to concert streaming, albeit on a much smaller scale than prior events. The company held its annual iTunes Festival, later rebranded as the Apple Music Festival, in London from 2007 to 2017. A week-long extravaganza featuring big-name acts from around the world, the show was discontinued in its tenth year as Apple transitioned to streaming one-off gigs and special events for Apple Music subscribers.

Eilish's act -- conveniently packaged as the first ever Apple Music Awards performance -- offers a glimpse at Apple's aspirations in live concert streaming.

During the mini concert, The Hollywood Reporter broke word of an exclusive deal that has Apple paying a rumored $25 million for rights to an Eilish documentary directed by R.J. Cutler. The film, which follows the singer after the release of her debut album in March, was produced in collaboration with Interscope Records and sees Cutler gain deep access to moments between Eilish and her family, as well as behind-the-scenes peeks at public appearances, the report said.

Instead of streaming the documentary on Apple Music, as it has done with other music-centric films, Apple will supposedly break with convention and make the Eilish project available on its Apple TV+ video streaming service. The Eilish documentary is expected to debut in 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple is really splashing around the $$$$
  • Reply 2 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm a big fan of Billie and Finneas. I still can't get over that she's still a kid, and I've been saying that since she was 13 or 14yo. She's done a lot in her short life, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in a documentary.
    williamh
  • Reply 3 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I’m officially old. I don’t know who he is.
    anantksundaramSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Apple could have taken care of the homeless problem in SF with that money - would have made a bigger PR splash than overpaying for a documentary.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Rolling Stone featured her in major article not long ago. She's essentially home schooled. Modest family in LA if I recall. She and bro started mixing with GarageBand. Possibly a source of her apparent Apple affection.
    byronl
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Does she write her own music? Does she play an instrument, if so what instrument? Does she have a voice that does not require auto-tune?

Not being snarky at all, just want to know.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Does she write her own music? Does she play an instrument, if so what instrument? Does she have a voice that does not require auto-tune?

We are obviously not her audience. Someone, somewhere is paying to listen to this kid. Ain’t me!

The only “new” music I’ve bought in a long time is Greta Van Fleet and they’re basically the reincarnation of Led Zeppelin.

Also... $25 million better buy Apple all rights to this movie, plus a couple of future albums from this kid.
    edited December 2019 razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 13

This is the first song from Eilish that put her on the radar for me and countless others. This was back in 2015 when she was still 13yo, which is just crazy to me. Do you remember what you were doing at 13yo? Whatever it was it wasn't geared toward starting a music career with my brother.

edited December 2019 anantksundarambyronl
  • Reply 9 of 13
    $25M for a documentary is waaaay to much. Like I like Billie, but Tim is spending way too much on this... Also you have to be Apple Music Subscriber to watch the Apple Music Award ceremony? WTF?! How are they expecting this to stick if you just put it behind a pay wall?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:

This is the first song from Eilish that put her on the radar for me and countless others. This was back in 2015 when she was still 13yo, which is just crazy to me. Do you remember what you were doing at 13yo? Whatever it was it wasn't geared toward starting a music career with my brother.

Soli, I think you have the wrong song linked at Vivo. It should be this one which was written by her brother for his band at the time. 
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=viimfQi_pUw
    edited December 2019 anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:

Soli, I think you have the wrong song linked at Vivo. It should be this one which was written by her brother for his band at the time. 
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=viimfQi_pUw
    Fixed. Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I first heard of her when she appeared on SNL recently. Interesting performance. 

https://youtu.be/Jn1Uwsg3eRQ

And, if you’re interested in seeing how they created the performance:

https://youtu.be/an76NRrV-zQ

edited December 2019 Soli
  • Reply 13 of 13
    This is really blah, blah, blah. With all the great rock n roll groups that have been are still around, we are being inundated with a bunch of manufactured pop tarts and their boring highly engineered noise.