Unlikely rumor claims 'iPhone SE 2' will be called 'iPhone 9'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Supply chain reports repeat the information that Apple is preparing a successor to the iPhone SE, but now say that it's going to be called "iPhone 9."

Japanese site Macotakara is reporting confirmation from its sources within manufacturers in the supply chain, that Apple is readying a cheaper, smaller 'iPhone SE 2' to replace the iPhone SE. It may be released in spring 2020, but Macotakara also claims that it may be called the iPhone 9.

"Since the consecutive design has been used from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8," says the site in its own English-language translation, "it is difficult to be thought that the name of iPhone SE would be succeeded."

The word "design" there is most likely to be a mistranslation of what the site probably meant was the iPhone naming convention. Clearly the designs of the iPhone 6 through iPhone 8 have not been the same, but it's somewhat true that the naming convention has been consistent.

It's not entirely true because we didn't have an iPhone 2 or even an iPhone 3, instead going from iPhone to iPhone 3G. It also ignores all the S versions of iPhones. Yet even on its own terms, looking only between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 8, the naming convention was ignored for the original iPhone SE.

Macotakara has a spotty record in reporting hardware rumors from what it calls its "informed sources." However, it's possible that its sources have strong information that is being misinterpreted. Such as when it reported correctly that the then forthcoming 2018 iPad Pro models would have Face ID, but wrongly asserted that this would only work in portrait orientation.

The Macotakara report also claims to confirm the specifications of the iPhone SE replacement, and these match previous reports from other sources. The phone is expected to have an A13 Bionic chip and be housed in an iPhone 8-like case with Touch ID.

The more regularly reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo most recently said that the "iPhone SE 2" would come in 2020, along with an "iPhone SE 2 Plus" in 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Who cares what the name is.
    I just want it to appear so I can replace my iPhone SE.
    cornchipphilboogiedoozydozenCarnage
  • Reply 2 of 30
    /reads rumor about convoluted iPhone numbering scheme
    /steeple's fingers
    /narrow's eyes
    "Yeeeeeesssssssssssssss"
    -Dark Side Yoda
  • Reply 3 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

t would be odd to launch a 4.7" iPhone Spring 2020 and then launch a 9 Plus a year later. Apple tends to launch new lines simultaneously. It sounds like Apple wants to keep around the classic iPhone form factor for those that are budget conscious and / or prefer TouchID over FaceID but if they're going to do that they should do it right so it develops into a clean product line. Something along the lines of this for Fall 2020 would work;

iPhone 9 / 9 Plus ($399 / $499)
    iPhone 12 ($699 / $799)
    iPhone 12 Pro ($999 / $1,099)

That way only the iPhone 9 lineup with the classic form factor is relegated to LCD screens while the new modern-looking iPhones are OLED screens. No confusion.

• Reply 4 of 30
    iPhone 9 makes much more sense than iPhone SE2 or similar. After all, if it’s an upgrade of the existing iPhone 8, with the rumoured specs, it deserves a new name. It doesn’t sound like another iPhone 5 refresh. But, I’m happy to be completely wrong. 

The SE lovers have been pretty vocal about this NOT being what they wanted as an upgrade of their beloved device. Calling it iPhone 9 rather than SE might deflect some of their disappointment/anger. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 5 of 30
    So if these are unlikely rumors, why post these? Just to stay relevant? Seems like there's plenty to discuss that are not week rumors… right?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    The SE lovers have been pretty vocal about this NOT being what they wanted as an upgrade of their beloved device.  
    This 150%! Iphone 8 body is not SE size. Their is a huge market being left on the table. I have a Xs and will switch the instant the successor to the SE is released. Using these phones has gotten so clumsy. No, the market has not moved on, the product we want just does not exist yet.
    GeorgeBMacBombdoebaconstangcaladanianjust cruisin
  • Reply 7 of 30
    They're gonna call it the iPhone Classic, or if it's got an A13 in it the iPhone 11 Classic.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    iPhone 9 coming out next year?  And I suppose there will be a new desktop computer called the Apple 4.  Is it April?
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    ok.... ok... I can live with that!

as long as it looks like the baby of an SE and an iPhone X!
    coolfactor
  • Reply 10 of 30
    As long as it fits in my pocket and hand, you can call it anything you want.  

Don't make me buy a Palm Phone.  

cornchipbaconstangjust cruisinmuthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 11 of 30
    iPhone Nein might not sell well in Germany.
    williamhcornchipswat671RadMax
  • Reply 12 of 30
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Something along the lines of this for Fall 2020 would work;

iPhone 11s (4G) ($699 / $799)
    iPhone 12 (5G) $899 / $999)
    iPhone 11s Pro (4G) ($999 / $1,099)
    iPhone 12 Pro (5G) ($1,199 / $1,299)

I fixed it for you.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Marketing and pricing are the two things the supply chain has very little insight into. There are only a handful of people who know what they will go with, and they all live in the Cupertino area. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    iPhone 9?

That'll never sell in Germany¡
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 15 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    hentaiboy said:

Something along the lines of this for Fall 2020 would work;

iPhone 11s (4G) ($699 / $799)
    iPhone 12 (5G) $899 / $999)
    iPhone 11s Pro (4G) ($999 / $1,099)
    iPhone 12 Pro (5G) ($1,199 / $1,299)

I fixed it for you.
    You know, that's not bad either.  Though I do think you priced the 5G versions $100 too high. 
  • Reply 16 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    iPhone 9?

That'll never sell in Germany¡
    LOL

philboogiecornchipRadMax
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Apparently it would be iPhone Neun in Germany.

(I hear it's big in Japan.)
    philboogieCarnage
  • Reply 18 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    loquitur said:
    iPhone Nein might not sell well in Germany.
    But Beatles fans will pick up the slack.

I know that names don't matter much, but I REALLY wish Apple would revert and revise the entire "X" naming scheme and pony up to the bar with the simple "10." Just call and forever refer to the damn thing in print as an iPhone 10, iPhone 10s, iPhone 10s Max, etc., and bury the silly "X" naming scheme like it never happened. There's nothing cooler that saying "My iPhone is a perfect 10." You know and I know that 90% of people call the "iPhone ten" the "iPhone Ex." Just imagine the horror of appending an "X" to the iPhone SE successor. 

The Roman Empire collapsed. Leave it buried.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 19 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    If reports that it will be an upgraded iPhone 8, then iPhone 9 makes more sense than SE2.
    And, best:  That still leaves room for an SE upgrade.
    eriamjhbaconstangsidrictheviking
  • Reply 20 of 30
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    If reports that it will be an upgraded iPhone 8, then iPhone 9 makes more sense than SE2.
    And, best:  That still leaves room for an SE upgrade.
    My guesses:
    There will never be an SE2. That form factor is dead.  Those who like it small will be left behind.  Sorry.

An upgraded iPhone 8 makes sense to be called iPhone 9. The iPhone 8 and 8+ will be discontinued.  

In 2020, The iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max will be replaced by the iPhone 12, 12 Pro and Pro Max. Apple will not use 11S for the next iPhone. The XR will disappear.  The iPhone 9 will be the base TouchId and only 4.7” iPhone.  The iPhone 11 only will be the base FaceID phone.

It will be weird to have an iPhone 9 and an iPhone 11, and the 12s without no 10.  But the X was called “ten”.   Whatever...

Just my guesses.

macxpress