Mac Pro W3275 Cinebench Score

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware

Just watched the video of the unboxing and cinebench test of the Mac Pro with the W3275 processor.

Cinebench score was 9818.  I know there's at least a thread being lost for video recording the test.  

I find that score terrifyingly low for the top of the line processor/mac pro.  

Particularly compared to the AMD Threadripper 3970x which scores 16988, at basically a 3rd the price.

Apart from the very few that need run 3 streams of 8k video (which still isn't available and will cost you the same as a small house in Oklahoma), is the 2019 Mac Pro already obsolete?  

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    mike fix said:

Just watched the video of the unboxing and cinebench test of the Mac Pro with the W3275 processor.

Cinebench score was 9818.  I know there's at least a thread being lost for video recording the test.  

I find that score terrifyingly low for the top of the line processor/mac pro.  

Particularly compared to the AMD Threadripper 3970x which scores 16988, at basically a 3rd the price.

Apart from the very few that need run 3 streams of 8k video (which still isn't available and will cost you the same as a small house in Oklahoma), is the 2019 Mac Pro already obsolete?  
    Nice thermal.

Please contact Intel for extra 28 cores.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    You don’t need to fit everything along a 1 dimensional axis.

Zen is really good at Cinebench, or the rendering class of applications. If you have 3D rendering type workflows, a Ryzen or Threadripper system should be your go to, but like everyone and their brother is saying, there is more than one type of use case and workflow, and you choose the tools that fit you best.

If you have a predominantly Quicksync workflow, just get a Core i9-9900K or lower as it is not dependent on the CPU core but the QS ASIC on chip. If you need to have a more than 256 GB of RAM, Xeon systems are currently the best option. If your workflow is memory bandwidth limited, a Xeon 3200 system is the best bet. If you have apps that are accelerated by AVX512, Xeon systems are the best bet. If you have a ProRes workflow, get the Afterburner card and a Mac Pro. If you want an 8 PCIe slot system, the 2019 Mac Pro looks like a really nice option. 

If you have a single thread dominant workflow, a Core i9-9900K system. If you game, a Core i9-9900K. If you have a CUDA workflow, get an Nvidia system. If you need 32 GB of video memory, the Mac Pro has some good options there. So on and so forth.

So, short answer is no.