Hands on: Apple Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2020
We finally have our hands on Apple's new Pro Display XDR, the company's first branded monitor since the cancellation of Thunderbolt Display in 2016. Follow along as we run through the pro-level display's design and features.

Pro Display XDR
Pro Display XDR

Apple's new pro-oriented display comes in at 32 inches when measured on the diagonal and sports a 6K resolution of 6,016-by-3,384 pixels for a pixel density of 218 PPI.

Unboxing and setup

The display arrives in a large -- yet thin -- cardboard box. Opening the box, which boasts an unusual linen-like texture, reveals the display centered above a small box of peripherals.

Included is Apple's signature polishing cloth, a power cable, and a Thunderbolt 3 cable. Both the Thunderbolt 3 cable and the power cable are black and wrapped in nylon, similar to the braided nylon USB-C to Lightning cable included with the Mac Pro itself. It's disappointing Apple doesn't sell this premium Thunderbolt 3 cable as a standalone product.

Moving on to the display itself, after removing both the soft paper shell and adhesive screen protector, we finally get a good look at the Pro Display XDR.

In-person, it feels much thinner than we had originally expected, but it is a very solid-feeling block. There are no curved or beveled edges other than the slightly rounded corners. The back is etched with the same 3D lattice pattern found on the Mac Pro.

Pro Display XDR lattice
Pro Display XDR lattice

This lattice effect is not only eye-catching, but serves a functional aspect as well. With so many openings, it allows maximum airflow for all the components needed to power such a bright and pixel-dense display.

Pro Display XDR ports and stand mount
Pro Display XDR ports and stand mount

Also on the back is a single Thunderbolt 3 port, as well as a trio of USB-C ports for connecting additional peripherals.

To use the display, simply connect the Thunderbolt 3 cable to both the monitor and your Mac Pro (or other compatible machine).

Pro Display XDR works in portrait orientation
Pro Display XDR works in portrait orientation

There is no configuration or setup necessary and it works in both portrait and landscape orientations. As a nice touch, the display automatically detects when it changes orientations and adjusts your resolution to match.

A phenomenal-looking display

Without going into all the specs, the new Pro Display XDR is a very impressive display. With its 6K resolution, it has a maximum sustained brightness of 1000 nits though it can top out at 1600 nits to support HDR content.

Pro Display XDR has great HDR support
Pro Display XDR has great HDR support

Speaking of HDR content, the Pro Display XDR can handle HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG playback. We watched a few Dolby Vision videos on the Mac Pro and can say whether you are watching or creating high dynamic range content, you will be happy.

The display was exceptionally bright and even with our glossy model did an excellent job of reducing glare. If you prefer a glare-free option, Apple does sell a nano-etched model for an extra $1,000.

Apple's new Pro Display XDR is available to order now for $4,999. The nano-etched version clocks in at $5,999 and if you want Apple's Pro Display stand that is an extra $999 at checkout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Note to self; when buying a $5K don’t forget to order a stand or at least some large books.
    dysamoriahammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 42
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    AppleInsider's coverage has been quite good on the XDR.

This article from c|net is also a good read and really explains the what/why of the XDR vs. the sarcastic comments.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/apple-pro-display-xdr-preview/
    jdwchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    AI: why no stand or VESA adapter? Would that have delayed delivery?

AI: does the model you show have or not have the nano-textured coating? Whatever model you got, please add a demonstration of the reflectivity (or lack thereof).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Doesn't matter how awesome this display is, and how much cheaper it is compared to the $40K monitors it competes with.  All the infantile iHaters contaminating forum threads will not have anything of it simply because it has an Apple logo.

Great monitor.  If I could justify it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  However, I know that I'm not the market-segment for this and that's okay.
    StrangeDaysguscatchasmmacplusplusrundhvidZDigital2019lkruppbb-15tmayurahara
  • Reply 5 of 42
    I’d like to see an article connecting it to some of the “compatible devices.”  I’m really thinking of getting one to use with my 2018 MacBook Pro” but I’d like to see a comparison to the 5k LG. I know it is 5 times more expensive than the LG but, as a photographer, it would be informative to see if the greater color accuracy is worth it. 
    guscatchasmcaladaniankeithwuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    mknelson said:

This article from c|net is also a good read and really explains the what/why of the XDR vs. the sarcastic comments.

I thought it was a good article, at least until the closing paragraph when the speculated about a nano-coated iPhone.  When pondering the "special cloth" required to clean the nano-etched Pro Display XDR, one can see why that would never fly on a consumer product like the iPhone.  Pros who can afford a $5k to $7k display would take the utmost care of it indoors and not complain too much about a special cloth, but you can imagine what Joe Blow would do if told he needed a special cloth to keep his nano-etched iPhone display from getting damaged!  But again, other that than wild speculation, the article is good.  We can only hope for Mac Pro tech trickle-down to vastly improve the computing lives of The Rest of Us someday soon.
    guscatmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 42
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    jdw said:
    mknelson said:

I thought it was a good article, at least until the closing paragraph when the speculated about a nano-coated iPhone.  When pondering the "special cloth" required to clean the nano-etched Pro Display XDR, one can see why that would never fly on a consumer product like the iPhone.  Pros who can afford a $5k to $7k display would take the utmost care of it indoors and not complain too much about a special cloth, but you can imagine what Joe Blow would do if told he needed a special cloth to keep his nano-etched iPhone display from getting damaged!  But again, other that than wild speculation, the article is good.  We can only hope for Mac Pro tech trickle-down to vastly improve the computing lives of The Rest of Us someday soon.
    Precisely.  I'm hoping this this XDR get's a more consumer-level Apple-branded 5K (or more) monitor at a less expensive price, or even the 2020 iMac incorporating similar tech.

I have three Apple Thunderbolt2 monitors and would love to replace them with Apple-branded 5K monitors.
    guscatmacplusplush2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mcdave said:
    Note to self; when buying a $5K don’t forget to order a stand or at least some large books.
    I find it odd that this is such a sticking point with people. If Apple only sold the monster for $6000 with the stand it would still be well below what others offer and those that want to use a VESA setup would have an amazing piece of engineering they couldn't use.

Apple doesn't give enough configuration options… people bitch. Apple gives configuration options… people bitch.
    pscooter63StrangeDaysguscatmwhitemac_doguraharawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    btw: AppleCare+ for the XDR is $499. (For any configuration of the new Mac Pro, it's only $299.) This covers up to two incidents of accidental screen damage coverage or external enclosure damage for a $99 fee, or other damage for a $299 fee. If it appears you didn't use the certified cleaning cloth, I wonder if those fees still apply. And how bad does a nano-surfaced XDR look if the display is scratched? (Hello, iFixit?)
    edited December 2019 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I am sure Apple debated the idea about releasing an upgraded price point display "type" similar in the past to the Cinema Display upgrade to the Thunderbolt Display.  I had a Cinema Display and then upgraded to a Thunderbolt Display and was waiting for the next expected iMac 4k or 5k display for around the same price of $1,000...this would be not too difficult for Apple in design and profit mark-up. etc.,  But probably now, this will never happen...again.   Instead, we have LG's monitors for "us".  

The reason: Just like J2fusion said....J2fusion (as others) is thinking about (or will) purchasing one for his or her 2018 MacBook Pro etc...a $5,000 to $6,000 purchase instead of the $1,000 monitor purchase.  Apple knows what they are doing.

Apple's Pro Display XDR is worth the cost as compared to competitor monitors (including the stand). They will sell many.  I too would like to have one of these monitors, but it is far above my needs including affordability.  My option unfortunately is the LG monitors. This will probably not change for a long time...
  • Reply 11 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

AI: does the model you show have or not have the nano-textured coating? Whatever model you got, please add a demonstration of the reflectivity (or lack thereof).
    From the article:

The display was exceptionally bright and even with our glossy model did an excellent job of reducing glare. If you prefer a glare-free option, Apple does sell a nano-etched model for an extra $1,000.
    cy_starkman
  • Reply 12 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

mcdave said:
    I find it odd that this is such a sticking point with people. If Apple only sold the monster for $6000 with the stand it would still be well below what others offer and those that want to use a VESA setup would have an amazing piece of engineering they couldn't use.

I think the original comment was not a crack on Apple’s stand or it’s price. I think it was a tongue-in-cheek crack on all the pictures of the beautiful $5,000 display sitting on the desk at keyboards height leaning against a wall. 
    StrangeDaysguscatmarklarkmacguicy_starkmanhammeroftruth
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Looking forward to comparison of Nano vs Regular in future. I'm interested to know how easy it is on eyes.
    caladanian
  • Reply 14 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bageljoey said:
    mcdave said:
    I think the original comment was not a crack on Apple’s stand or it’s price. I think it was a tongue-in-cheek crack on all the pictures of the beautiful $5,000 display sitting on the desk at keyboards height leaning against a wall. 
    Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    sflocal said:
    Doesn't matter how awesome this display is, and how much cheaper it is compared to the $40K monitors it competes with.  All the infantile iHaters contaminating forum threads will not have anything of it simply because it has an Apple logo.
    I think some have a legitimate complaint, in that they want an Apple display, but Apple doesn't have one aside from this very high end, special purpose option. But, I don't necessarily get all the fuss some seem to be making over having to spend that much because they need to have a matching monitor to their Mac Pro. There are lots of other monitors they could get to pair with their Mac Pro if they don't need those specs. And, then yeah, there are a bunch of critics who don't have a clue what they are actually criticizing.

jdw said:
    I thought it was a good article, at least until the closing paragraph when the speculated about a nano-coated iPhone.  When pondering the "special cloth" required to clean the nano-etched Pro Display XDR, one can see why that would never fly on a consumer product like the iPhone.  Pros who can afford a $5k to $7k display would take the utmost care of it indoors and not complain too much about a special cloth, but you can imagine what Joe Blow would do if told he needed a special cloth to keep his nano-etched iPhone display from getting damaged!

Yeah, if it really is that fussy, I think a lot 'regular' users who just have too much money to spend are going to have issues. The real high-end pro users will probably pay attention to that kind of thing, but can you imagine the typical home user fingerprinting it or such, and then possibly cleaning it wrong, etc.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    bageljoey said:

mcdave said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same, at least get a regular VESA mount.
    cy_starkman
  • Reply 17 of 42
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Loby01 said:
    I am sure Apple debated the idea about releasing an upgraded price point display "type" similar in the past to the Cinema Display upgrade to the Thunderbolt Display.  I had a Cinema Display and then upgraded to a Thunderbolt Display and was waiting for the next expected iMac 4k or 5k display for around the same price of $1,000...this would be not too difficult for Apple in design and profit mark-up. etc.,  But probably now, this will never happen...again.   Instead, we have LG's monitors for "us".  

The reason: Just like J2fusion said....J2fusion (as others) is thinking about (or will) purchasing one for his or her 2018 MacBook Pro etc...a $5,000 to $6,000 purchase instead of the $1,000 monitor purchase.  Apple knows what they are doing.

Apple's Pro Display XDR is worth the cost as compared to competitor monitors (including the stand). They will sell many.  I too would like to have one of these monitors, but it is far above my needs including affordability.  My option unfortunately is the LG monitors. This will probably not change for a long time...
    Like you, I think it is totally worth the cost. The facility where I worked back in the day, had probably twenty 30" Cinema Displays - usually two in each edit bay. They cost $3299 each and were discontinued in 2010. What is interesting is that these old, much loved Cinema Displays were not really very good in several areas like resolution, response time and brightness. This new monitor is many orders of magnitude a better, more accurate and versatile display. Plus they can be calibrated correctly and easily. The XDR Display is actually a shocking bargain.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Is it seriously leaning against the wall?
    I thought I was a pro - but seeing as how my displays still need stands, I guess I’m just a scrub...

Seriously - this is like something out of Zoolander... 

edited December 2019 dysamoriafreethinking
  • Reply 19 of 42
    My office won’t buy it. The price is hefty for use cases where my LG 5k is basically enough to get the job done. And it has to be compared to the wobbly LG a well, not only $4k calibrated screens. 

I’m still thinking about it for me privately. But that would be pure luxury. No necessity at all. 
  • Reply 20 of 42
    keithwkeithw Posts: 141member
    I would like to see somebody test some reasonably priced VESA stands with this monitor. I’m guessing you could get a pretty decent stand with the adapter for less than $400.