NEED HELP - Buying 2019 15" MacBook Pro $2,500.00 - $2,700.00?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
NEED HELP - Considering buying a 2019 15" MacBook Pro. Budgeting $2,500.00 - $2,700.00?

What would be the best machine for spending between $2,500.00 and $2,700.00? No specific discipline in how the machine will be used. Biggest bang for the buck.

Or should I go in a completely different direction?

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 16"

Please help me get the absolutely best machine for the amount of money I have budgeted.

I realize that I am throwing out a large net without a specific use case. With all of the options as it relates to cores, GPU, memory, etc., etc. and not completely understanding some of it at times I was looking for some guidance and thought I would ask hoping there might just be a sweet spot.

Cheers and enjoy your holidays!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    mobird said:
    NEED HELP - Considering buying a 2019 15" MacBook Pro. Budgeting $2,500.00 - $2,700.00?

What would be the best machine for spending between $2,500.00 and $2,700.00? No specific discipline in how the machine will be used. Biggest bang for the buck.

MacBook Air
    MacBook Pro 13"
    MacBook Pro 16"

Please help me get the absolutely best machine for the amount of money I have budgeted.

I realize that I am throwing out a large net without a specific use case. With all of the options as it relates to cores, GPU, memory, etc., etc. and not completely understanding some of it at times I was looking for some guidance and thought I would ask hoping here might just be a sweet spot.

Is it for photo-processing, ie Capture 1 or Lightroom? Video processing with something like Final Cut? Engineering, drafting/design, or app development?

Or is it for more for media consumption (watching movies/video) and internet browsing? Games, a bit of writing, emails and social sites and just general use? For anyone to give you good advice they'd need those questions answered. Best bang for buck will differ from what I might need one for and what you or anyone else here requires. 

You've already set a budget that gets you to the top of the 15" MacBook Pro range (there's no 2019 version BTW, only the 13" and 16")  but why would you want to spend money on resources you'll never have a need for since you obviously have limited your budget. Be a bit more detailed about what you even want one for. 
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    mobird said:

MacBook Air
    MacBook Pro 13"
    MacBook Pro 16"

I realize that I am throwing out a large net without a specific use case. With all of the options as it relates to cores, GPU, memory, etc., etc. and not completely understanding some of it at times I was looking for some guidance and thought I would ask hoping there might just be a sweet spot.

Apple has reduced the price of the 15" ones by a lot:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0WW8LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-23ghz-8-core-intel-core-i9-with-retina-display-and-radeon-pro-vega-20-space-gray
    $2679

That used to be $3349, with the 1TB upgrade maybe more:
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i9-2.3-eight-core-15-mid-2019-touch-bar-vega-16-vega-20-specs.html

They have cut the price over $650 in 6-7 months because the entry graphics in the 16" are equivalent to the graphics in that high-end one.

I'd still say get the entry 16" model with 1TB SSD = $2599. It has a better keyboard, easier to repair, bigger screen, physical escape key, newer generation graphics and new rather than refurb.