Anti-robocall TRACED legislation is now the law

Posted:
in General Discussion
President Donald Trump has signed the TRACED anti-Robocall legislation into law, extending the FCC's powers regarding enforcement and potentially fines.

Spam

Known in full as the Pallone-Thune Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act, the planned anti-robocall legislation has become law. The move follows nearly unanimous bipartisan support in both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

"This historic legislation will provide American consumers with even greater protection against annoying unsolicited robocalls," wrote the office of Stephanie Grisham, White House Press Secretary.

"American families deserve control over their communications," continues the statement, "and this legislation will update our laws and regulations to stiffen penalties, increase transparency, and enhance government collaboration to stop unwanted solicitation."

"President Donald J. Trump is proud to have worked with Congress to get this bipartisan legislation to his desk, and even prouder to sign it into law today," it concludes.

The Pallone-Thune TRACED act, named for Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.) and Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), chiefly extends the powers and authority of the Federal Communications Commission. The FCC will be able to impose fines of up to $10,000 per call for robocallers defined as abusing the system and committing offenses. Offenders may now be prosecuted by the Justice Department.

Carriers will be required to implement or develop STIR/SHAKEN-like authentication technology, which aims to combat call number spoofing. They will also be required to offer call blocking services to their users for free. Previously, 12 telephone companies including AT&T and Verizon, have already promised to implement authentication procedures.

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) shall promulgate rules establishing when a provider may block a voice call based on information provided by the call authentication framework," says a previous summary on Congress.gov, "but also must establish a process to permit a calling party adversely affected by the framework to verify the authenticity of their calls."

With this new law, the FCC will be required to report on enforcement annually, but it will also be able to recommend further legislation. Before the law comes into effect, the FCC will also have to work on rules regarding spam calls and texts.

"I applaud Congress for working in a bipartisan manner to combat illegal robocalls and malicious caller ID spoofing," said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai in a statement. "I thank the President and Congress for the additional tools and flexibility that this law affords us."

"Specifically, I am glad that the agency now has a longer statute of limitations during which we can pursue scammers," he continued, "and I welcome the removal of a previously-required warning we had to give to unlawful robocallers before imposing tough penalties."
maestro64

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    So most these scam callers come from outside the US, can not tell you how many Indian or Chinese scam calls I get. Some of these scammers even leave messages I better call back or they will call the police.

US laws have no jurisdiction over other counties. 
    flyingdpwatto_cobrarazorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Lemme guess....the connection is since Tim Apple and the president are best buds, therefore this is positive Apple Inc. news?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    maestro64 said:
    So most these scam callers come from outside the US, can not tell you how many Indian or Chinese scam calls I get. Some of these scammers even leave messages I better call back or they will call the police.

Thats much true for much every domestic law. It simply cannot be enforced unless other countries write up a treaty to honor those kind of agreements.
    watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 25
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    bobroo said:
    Lemme guess....the connection is since Tim Apple and the president are best buds, therefore this is positive Apple Inc. news?
    Nope,  this is just welcome tech news for ALL of us who don't want ridiculous robocalls and the ultimate insult of having phone numbers "spoofed" or faked.
    If I counted the number of "Marriott" vacations my account won, I could just take off on vacation for a year - but of course it's all a scam...
    mwhiteStrangeDaysdysamoriawatto_cobrarazorpitMisterKitshamino
  • Reply 5 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Well, for what it’s worth, if it stops spoofed calls which is what all the Indian and Pakistan make, that’s better but I want actual enforcement like cracking down and arresting these miscreants in the first place.

this is just me adding ever more padlocks to my front door and living in fear instead of going after the criminals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    sflocal said:
    Well, for what it’s worth, if it stops spoofed calls which is what all the Indian and Pakistan make, that’s better but I want actual enforcement like cracking down and arresting these miscreants in the first place.

this is just me adding ever more padlocks to my front door and living in fear instead of going after the criminals.
    This law simply puts some laws in place that deal with enforcement, procedure, and penalties. It does not define or unleash any special technical solutions to the problem that are not already available. So no, it’s not another padlock on your door but merely a sign that reads “Violators will be prosecuted,” which will have some value as a deterrent but a true lock will take a lot more work by the industry. Good step in the right direction but the fight is far from over.  
    watto_cobrarazorpitstevenozrattlhed
  • Reply 7 of 25
    maestro64 said:

I hope this new law will finally force carriers to block these sham calls at no extra expense to customers.
    dysamoriawatto_cobrarazorpitMisterKit
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Uh, okay, but... Let me know when this actually changes anything in practice, for all of us who feel like phone systems have been 100% ruined by decades of corporations not being legally compelled to give a shit.

I’m not sure what legal obligation is now on them. Merely implementing anti-spoofing tech? If the wording of the law isn’t “utilize effective spoofing prevention”, then they’ve already accomplished the bare minimum to be legal and none of us have seen any improvement, nor ever will.
    flyingdpralphie
  • Reply 9 of 25
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    bobroo said:
    Apple makes a product, the iPhone, whose users will benefit from this. Might have heard of it?
    watto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 10 of 25
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
     but also must establish a process to permit a calling party adversely affected by the framework to verify the authenticity of their calls."”

So I’ll get to see calls using a spoofed number labeled as such. Sounds good. At the moment everything not in my contacts list goes to voicemail. 
    watto_cobraMisterKit
  • Reply 11 of 25
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    bluefire1 said:
    maestro64 said:

I hope this new law will finally force carriers to block these sham calls at no extra expense to customers.
    In not sure it will, the law requires the US carriers to authenticate the origins of the call, similar to what they do with email today, if IP of email does not match DSN of email carrier the email is blocked. It's not that easy for phone cal l since it requires the install of equipment, unless every call carrier around the world implements the same system as the US.

However, all of politicians can say they past a law, it's not their fault the scammers are smarter than them.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 25
    ""At the moment everything not in my contacts list goes to voicemail. "" .. .. At the moment.. any Number appearing as 'Unknown' or 'Unavailable' goes to an endless ring-loop. I wouldn't waste two-seconds of recording time for clowns like them.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 13 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    bobroo said:
    Do you really think they are friends?  Cook is willing to work with him.  Whatever you think of the president, it’s a smart move by Tim Cook.  
  • Reply 14 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    maestro64 said:

Well, that’s where the anti-spoofing and blocking technology comes in. If you can’t stop those calls then block them.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 15 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    bobroo said:
    Don't be stupid. Or at least don't show it.

lkrupp said:
    Well, that’s where the anti-spoofing and blocking technology comes in. If you can’t stop those calls then block them.
    If I can at least look at the phone and see some notification that this is a spoofed call, I'll call that a win. A small step win, but one nonetheless.

Then assign a ringtone or alert tone to that notification, then I would even have to look. Blocking numbers now has no real affect since I almost never seem the same number twice, and never more than twice. When I do it's because of getting one call back a few minutes later, a second try to get me to answer.

My question is- when? When will we see some impact/results from TRACE? At the moment it's just a bunch of words with the weight of law, that are a stretch to form an acronym. 

For the moment, not all of these calls originate from India or China, so any reduction is appreciated.
    mld53a
  • Reply 16 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    ""At the moment everything not in my contacts list goes to voicemail. "" .. .. At the moment.. any Number appearing as 'Unknown' or 'Unavailable' goes to an endless ring-loop. I wouldn't waste two-seconds of recording time for clowns like them.
    Endless? How do you do that?
    stevenoz
  • Reply 17 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I’ve gotten junk voice calls from completely “blank” anonymous callers (I didn’t even know that was possible until it happened to me) and I’ve even gotten calls from my own number somehow. I think some of these scammers must be technicians from within the call centers.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    kupuakupua Posts: 10member
    So when is this going to STOP? FAKE news.

SMH this is not going to stop. UGH
  • Reply 19 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    What are the negative implications of this new law?  (There are always downsides to new laws where inevitably everyday people are harmed.)  

For example, and teenaged pranksters could to be locked up for a crank call now?  It's easy for us to want to see them punished but the reality is that the law ruins the lives of a lot of people at taxpayer expense.  Our quest for "justice" is more of a quest for "revenge" a lot of the time.  We have so many laws on the books now that pretty much everyone of us is technically a law breaker at one time or another.  If that doesn't bother you it's only because you haven't been caught.  To me, that is more unsettling than a Robocall.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    It reads nicely, but an effective means of enforcement is non-existent and is not provided for in the law. Another decade will pass before you will read of anyone suffering consequences. If it is politically expedient for whoever is in the WH exceptions and opt outs will rule and lobbyists will rip its teeth out without actually paying too much in campaign and PAC donations.