Apple signs 'Seinfeld' and 'Veep' star Julia Louis-Dreyfus to exclusive deal

Posted:
in General Discussion
Actress and producer Julia Louis-Dreyfus has signed her first-ever development deal with a streaming service. Un the multi-year agreement, she will both produce and star in shows for Apple TV+.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Source: Gage Skidmore)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Source: Gage Skidmore)

Apple has announced that it has signed Julia Louis-Dreyfus to an exclusive multi-year deal through which she will both executive produce and star in shows for the Apple TV+ service.

"I am thrilled about this new partnership with my friends at Apple," she said in a statement. "Also, many thanks and kudos to my representatives for structuring the deal in such a way that I am paid in AirPods."

Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is a multi-award winning comedian, actress, producer and singer. While she had her first big break with "Saturday Night Live," she is now best known for the comedy series "Seinfeld" and "Veep."

As with other similar deals including Sharon Horgan's, neither party has revealed the specifics of how long the multi-year agreement is set to last. Nor is it clear whether the deal with Apple TV+ is a first-look one, which would mean that Louis-Dreyfus could take projects to other firms if Apple chooses to pass on them.

It's likely that the exclusivity is for the combination of development, creation and then starring of Louis-Dreyfus rather than her being unable to act in other company's productions.

She will next be seen in the film "Downhill," scheduled in theatres from February 14, for which she was also a producer.
fastasleepapplesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    She's genius. 
    fastasleepronnbigpicsbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The press release says:

Under the multi-year agreement, Louis-Dreyfus will develop new projects exclusively for Apple TV+ as both an executive producer and star.

I assume that means that she will develop new content that will air exclusively on Apple TV+.  The word exclusively probably should have been left out.  If someone develops something for Netflix, it's understood it'll be "exclusively" Netflix content.  Presumably the same applies here.  I find it impossible to believe that JLD agreed to only work for Apple.
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 3 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The press release says:

Under the multi-year agreement, Louis-Dreyfus will develop new projects exclusively for Apple TV+ as both an executive producer and star.

I assume that means that she will develop new content that will air exclusively on Apple TV+.  The word exclusively probably should have been left out.  If someone develops something for Netflix, it's understood it'll be "exclusively" Netflix content.  Presumably the same applies here.  I find it impossible to believe that JLD agreed to only work for Apple.
    FTFA:

Nor is it clear whether the deal with Apple TV+ is a first-look one, which would mean that Louis-Dreyfus could take projects to other firms if Apple chooses to pass on them. It's likely that the exclusivity is for the combination of development, creation and then starring of Louis-Dreyfus rather than her being unable to act in other company's productions.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    The press release says:

FTFA:

Nor is it clear whether the deal with Apple TV+ is a first-look one, which would mean that Louis-Dreyfus could take projects to other firms if Apple chooses to pass on them. It's likely that the exclusivity is for the combination of development, creation and then starring of Louis-Dreyfus rather than her being unable to act in other company's productions.
    Right.  I'm agreeing with the author.  I'm just taking it a bit further.  It's not just "likely" that she hasn't committed to working only for Apple; it's darn near certain.
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Apple is taking a very conservative approach to build out the Apple TV+ network by hiring the top talent with the strongest resumes. That's all fine and good, but I hope they balance their approach and take some chances with lesser known and emerging talent that don't have the name recognition of the seasoned veterans they are hiring with much fanfare. Somewhere out there there are the next generation of Spike Lee and Keenen Ivory Wayans kind of rising talent that can make Apple TV+ really stand out from what is becoming a very crowded market for viewers' eyes.
    bigpicscy_starkmanapplesnorangesbaconstangronnflyingdp
  • Reply 7 of 13
    With their current line of shows, they would have to pay me to even preview Apple shows!  Terrible shows.  It like it came direct from Jeff Zucker’s dream shows!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    spice-boy said:
    She's genius. 

That she is !!! :)

• Reply 9 of 13
    dewme said:
    Apple is taking a very conservative approach to build out the Apple TV+ network by hiring the top talent with the strongest resumes. That's all fine and good, but I hope they balance their approach and take some chances with lesser known and emerging talent that don't have the name recognition of the seasoned veterans they are hiring with much fanfare. Somewhere out there there are the next generation of Spike Lee and Keenen Ivory Wayans kind of rising talent that can make Apple TV+ really stand out from what is becoming a very crowded market for viewers' eyes.
    WORD !!! :)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I’ll bet Louis CK would be willing to sign an exclusive.
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 13
    The press release says:

Sorry, but you don't seem to understand how and why exclusivity deals are signed. They are routine and mean exactly that, whether someone is a producer, artist, writer, game developer, etc.  Someone decides to pay you to work EXCLUSIVELY for them, so they know your best efforts are going toward producing something for them; otherwise they would simply hire you on a "per piece" basis.  And actually, when someone develops something for Netflix or any other service, unless it is spelled out and paid for in advance, it is NOT understood it will be exclusively for them.  The producer of the content can retain their own distribution rights, international distribution, distribution after a period of time, etc., etc.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    With their current line of shows, they would have to pay me to even preview Apple shows!  Terrible shows.  It like it came direct from Jeff Zucker’s dream shows!
    You'd make a great movie critic.

"The movie was so bad that I didn't watch the movie or even the trailer!  Two thumbs way down!"
    ronncornchipfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I’ll bet Louis CK would be willing to sign an exclusive.
    Sure. So would Weinstein.