Apple TV+ announces biographical docuseries 'Dear...' featuring Oprah, Stevie Wonder, more...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2020
Apple on Friday announced "Dear," a new documentary series produced by R.J. Cutler that takes a deeper look into the lives of iconic figures like Oprah Winfrey, Stevie Wonder, journalist Gloria Steinem, gymnast Aly Raisman and more.

Apple TV+

According to a brief overview of the series, "Dear" draws inspiration from the company's "Dear Apple" advertisements that feature customers reading written testimonials about Apple products.

Like "Dear Apple" letters, which typically focus on life-changing events like Apple Watch discovering a heart condition or iPhone automatically calling emergency services after a car crash, the upcoming show uses letters to paint a picture of "internationally recognized leaders." Along with Winfrey, Wonder, Steinem and Raisman, the 10-episode series will profiles Spike Lee, Lin-Manuel Miranda, model and activist Yara Shahidi, ballet dancer Misty Copeland and Big Bird.

Cutler, an Emmy and Peabody Award winner, will executive produce the project for Apple. The documentarian gained notoriety for Anna Wintour profile "The September Issue" and most recently worked on the "Untitled Billie Eilish Documentary," which is expected to debut as an Apple TV+ exclusive later this year.

Todd Lubin, Jay Peterson, Jane Cha and Lyle Gamm are also listed as executive producers, with Matador Content and Cutler Productions producing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    It’s really really hard to get excited about The content on Apple TV+.

edited January 2020 harry wildmike54razorpitElCapitanchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It’s like they really don’t want people to pay for this stuff.

The saving grace is the titillating exposé on Big Bird of course. I will pay $4.99 a month for a service that tells me the life story of a Sesame Street character.
    edited January 2020 trashman69mike54razorpitElCapitan
  • Reply 3 of 16
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    Yeah, I'm really looking for deeper insight into Oprah.
    mike54mwhiterazorpitElCapitanchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 16
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Under Jony Ive's influence, one of Apple's obsessions which continued long ,after Steve Jobs had passed was thinness over all.

In Tim Cook's Apple, and it is now Tim Cook's Apple, he seems determined that Apple TV+ will be "high class," in a commercially produced almost PBS kind of way.

Luckily, while Apple can afford this side trip, TV+ is going to have to evolve if they ever expect the division to add meaningfully to their increasing service revenue - which they're counting on as a future growth enenginew to keep apple....

...which is not going to happen as long as too much of the focus is on TV Tim Cook can feel proud of rather than on what will appeal across the broad swath of Apple's key demographics...

Netflix produces some Emmy quality documentaries, but it's not what they lead with, and it's not their longest and strongest suit.

But just as the company has (belatedly) begun to come around on taking a Mac users' approach to the Mac division, I suspect they'll come around to a streaming TV service consumer's approach to streaming TV.
    edited January 2020 WarrenBuffduckh
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I hope so Bigpics, at the moment though, it is Very Public Television. The kind of television it is important your friends know is the kind of thing you are watching, not really for entertainment purposes.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    PBS programming at it’s best aka Apple TV+! ;)
    edited January 2020 mike54
  • Reply 7 of 16
    aharry wild said:
    PBS programming at it’s best aka Apple TV+! ;)
    Yeah. The problem here is that rather than innovating and differentiating, all the streaming companies are primarily chasing the same demographic.

1. Affluent young white progressives who live in urban areas on the coasts.
    2. People who wish they were 1.

Even the "diversity" offered by the streaming companies are shows about Hispanics, black people, Asians etc. that folks in 1. and 2. want to see and not what Hispanics, black people, Asians etc. actually want to see. Proof of this: the rebooted with Hispanic cast One Day At A Time on Netflix ... cancelled because it performed terribly among Hispanic audiences. Its only audience was Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham fans. 

You would think that a streaming company would have the bright idea: "let's offer programming that the other 75% of the population wants to watch and see how much money we make. Let's go after the audiences that have abandoned network and cable TV for YouTube, social media and video games and see if it is possible to get them back." But nah, the groupthink is too strong so none of them do it. Netflix will occasionally throw a few bucks for a comedian that was popular nationwide 10-20 years ago but can't get anywhere near Hollywood to make a movie or TV series today to make a comedy special but that is as far as it goes.
    jcs2305entropysdewme
  • Reply 8 of 16
    just gonna go against the grain and say that I really loved Servant and For All Mankind, liked The Morning Show, Truth Be Told, Hala, and See, and im currently enjoying Little America.

I dont care about documentaries, but I definitely have watched more Apple TV than PBS
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I would highly appreciate if you declutter site from AppleTV+ program offerings or put ALL streaming offerings as well.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Don’t people watch PBS because it’s available for free with bunny ears?  

Don’t mind me... last year I found out Hallmark Channel existed.
    I haven’t watched TV in many many years...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    The only way all of this will be successful is if Apple buys a studio (say Paramount for example) and lets them create Netflix quality work under a different brand name which is available exclusively on Apple+ TV. Apple will always be too concerned that content branded by Apple reflect the company’s ethos - thus it will be safe and kind of boring.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    frantisek said:
    I would highly appreciate if you declutter site from AppleTV+ program offerings or put ALL streaming offerings as well.
    Nope. TV+ is part of Apple so it should be available for discussion on an Apple related site. After reading the headline, you could have decided to not click on the article.
    ronn
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Don’t people watch PBS because it’s available for free with bunny ears?  

Don’t mind me... last year I found out Hallmark Channel existed.
    I haven’t watched TV in many many years...
    Sure. I would also point out that the market of people that actually watch PBS (or CBC, AustralianBC or SBS)shows is usually small. A subscription streamer with the same kind of product will also have a small number of subscriptions, unless it gives it away for free to a bunch of people buying a more desirable product.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    All the bellyaching about a project within its first few months. People keep comparing Apple TV+ to the less than mediocre Netflix. The vast majority of the programming on Netflix is outright garbage, IMO. And Apple TV+ is free for now. I don't watch much TV even though I have Prime and Netflix (the latter for just another week or so). We'll have Apple TV+ for a year with an upcoming Apple purchase, so I will have a wait and see attitude about paying for it in the future. A few of the shows via free first episodes have intrigued us to watch in the future. And family and friends have talked up a few more. That's more than the combined shows we've watched on Prime & Netfilx.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    just gonna go against the grain and say that I really loved Servant and For All Mankind, liked The Morning Show, Truth Be Told, Hala, and See, and im currently enjoying Little America.

I dont care about documentaries, but I definitely have watched more Apple TV than PBS
    Likewise. Did you enjoy Dickinson?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    ronn said:
    All the bellyaching about a project within its first few months. People keep comparing Apple TV+ to the less than mediocre Netflix. The vast majority of the programming on Netflix is outright garbage, IMO. And Apple TV+ is free for now. I don't watch much TV even though I have Prime and Netflix (the latter for just another week or so). We'll have Apple TV+ for a year with an upcoming Apple purchase, so I will have a wait and see attitude about paying for it in the future. A few of the shows via free first episodes have intrigued us to watch in the future. And family and friends have talked up a few more. That's more than the combined shows we've watched on Prime & Netfilx.
    Funny! I was say the vast majority of programming  on AppleTV is is outright garbage. 
    ElCapitanrazorpit