Apple, Tim Cook honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has replaced the regular home page on its website with a full-screen tribute to civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and CEO Tim Cook has again tweeted a quote from the man.

Apple's homepage honors Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
Apple's homepage honors Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

For today only, visitors to Apple's official website will not see the usual product promotion, as instead there is a full-page photo tribute to civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It's a continuation of an Apple tradition that now goes back several years.

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits." Let us all be so audacious, and work to make MLK's dream a reality for us all.

— Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Tim Cook's tweet quotes from Dr King Jr.'s speech when he received the Nobel Peace Prize in December 1964.

As well as honoring him on the official homepage, as it did last year, Apple famously also included Dr King Jr in its "Think Different" ad campaign from the late 1990s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I'd like to see Apple comes up with new "Think Different" kind of campaign again.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'd like to see Apple comes up with new "Think Different" kind of campaign again.
    Might be nice from a nostalgic point of view, but as a marketing point of view its not really necessary for Apple to do this kind of marketing. That doesn't mean Apple doesn't need to advertise its products, but that was a different era for a different type of product. It would be like Apple trying to bring back the I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC campaign again. It just doesn't fit in this era of Apple IMO. 
    Rayz2016mimageeStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I appreciate Apple paying homage to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I would expect nothing less from them in doing so.  Everything is not about marketing and money. Sometimes you do what you feel is right despite others points of view. 
    ronnStrangeDaysmacxpress
  • Reply 4 of 8
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    macxpress said:
    Might be nice from a nostalgic point of view, but as a marketing point of view its not really necessary for Apple to do this kind of marketing. That doesn't mean Apple doesn't need to advertise its products, but that was a different era for a different type of product. It would be like Apple trying to bring back the I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC campaign again. It just doesn't fit in this era of Apple IMO. 
    Agreed, both of the older campaigns played on Apple's minority position in the market. For phones, Apple is the overdog, not the underdog. And Macs are doing just fine in mindshare, even if their market share is nowhere near the phones. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    USB-C affects us all! C'mon Apple can't we have that?  :'(
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    USB-C affects us all! C'mon Apple can't we have that?  :'(

In what way?  Since you took the time to write this nonsense..please elaborate how this affects us all? SMH....
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Of course, the populist view of the man would like to ignore the fact that he was a serial cheater and had a thing for orgies, which is how he was threatened by political powers at that time.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Of course, the populist view of the man would like to ignore the fact that he was a serial cheater and had a thing for orgies, which is how he was threatened by political powers at that time.
    You'd have to have a fairly twisted outlook on life and history to ignore everything that MLK did and inspired in the USA and around the world and focus solely on what he did between the sheets. "Cheater" is a loaded phrase that says more about you than him. And what's wrong with a good orgy anyway?