Podcasts help Spotify eclipse Apple Music subscribers with 124M paid users

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited February 2020
Apple Music rival Spotify's efforts to push for podcasts is paying off, reporting in its Q4 financial results a 200% year-on-year rise in the listening of the shows, with the streaming music service still retaining the top spot globally with more than 124 million paying subscribers.

Revealed as part of its quarterly financial results disclosure, Spotify has seen considerable revenue growth over the same period last year, bringing in 1.86 billion euros ($2.04 billion) in the fourth quarter alone. This represents an increase of 24% year-on-year.

The bulk of its revenue stems from paid users, which now accounts for 1.64 billion euros ($1.76 billion) of its overall income, again up 24% on last year. This rise is also due to the increase in premium subscribers, which has reached 124 million, a 29% year-on-year increase, while total monthly active users including free tier users is up 31% at 271 million for the quarter.

In theory, this keeps Spotify at the top of the music streaming service rankings, ahead of Apple Music. The last time Apple Music subscriber figures were revealed was in June 2019, when SVP of Services Eddy Cue advised it had passed the 60 million paid subscriber mark.

Despite the higher revenue, Spotify has endured an operating loss of 77 million euros ($84.8 million). Spotify attributes this to "higher than expected social charges," defined as "payroll taxes associated with stock based compensation."

The main talking point for the company is its growth in podcast listening, in that consumption hours for the quarter were double what it was in the same quarter last year. More than 16% of total monthly active users engage with podcast content, with more than 700,000 podcast titles available for listening on the platform.

Spotify has a "growing body of evidence" showing there are benefits to its podcasting efforts and the increased listening of them by users. Retention is up "on the order of several hundred basis points," and early data suggests the regular podcast listeners are "more likely to convert to Premium over time."

One way it is expanding its podcast roster is in a deal to buy sports and entertainment media company The Ringer. The deal, according to Variety, will add more than 30 podcasts to the service, among other content initiatives.

For the next quarter, Spotify aims to achieve between 279 and 289 million monthly active users, between 126 and 131 million premium subscribers, and total revenue of between 1.71 billion euro and 1.91 billion euro ($1.88 billion and $2.1 billion). By the end of the year, it foresees premium subscribers could reach 143 million to 153 million people, with total monthly active users somewhere between 328 million and 348 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Yep. That's absolutely the last item of proof that Apple is in fact being anti-competitive by abusing the advantages they have of their platform and thereby completely decimating Spotify's business. :eyeroll:

It would be great if Apple could invest more in podcasts. They've been a great champion of podcasting since the very beginning making it part of iTunes. But they should go further and start buying up some shows or even networks, like iHeartRadio.
    allmypeopledavenn2itivguyrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mjtomlin said:
    Yep. That's absolutely the last item of proof that Apple is in fact being anti-competitive by abusing the advantages they have of their platform and thereby completely decimating Spotify's business. :eyeroll:

It would be great if Apple could invest more in podcasts. They've been a great champion of podcasting since the very beginning making it part of iTunes. But they should go further and start buying up some shows or even networks, like iHeartRadio.
    My thoughts exactly, their fumbles don't seem to be related to acquiring or converting subscribers into paid users - rather their problems (similar to their unforeseen losses) seem to be entirely the result of how they run their business.

Spotify's core argument doesn't stand up to basic scrutiny because it blames their business-wide problems on the smaller of the two mobile platforms. I think it's been pretty clear from day 1 that they just wanted to take advantage of the app store, while not contributing to it.
    n2itivguypscooter63leavingthebiggwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Big advantage of podcasts integration in Spotify is that they’re considered „music“ for mobile data providers (at least Vodafone) in my country (they don’t seem to care about any net neutrality at all). So, on LTE, it is actually cheaper to listen podcasts through Spotify, than Podcast app. Another big advantage of Spotify here in Czechia, is that it works with Amazon Echo devices. Apple Music refuses to connect stating that „it is not supported in your area“. But I pay the same as people in Vienna, less than 100 miles away, where it works flawlessly. Maybe these are some of the reasons why Spotify is more successful here in Europe. Anyway, I still use Apple Music, as it's the only service featuring decent Apple Watch app, which matters most for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    As Apple’s portfolio of services improves, Apple can introduce subscription bundles that would make it very difficult for spotify to compete. 

How much do you guys think it should be for Apple tv+, Apple Music, Apple News and Apple Arcade? $20 a month for any 3?
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have Spotify premium and use it daily but I have never listened to a podcast on the app. I always use the native podcast app and I’m sure others do as well. So I’m really confused how something that is free (podcasts) are driving Spotify subscription growth?
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I’d LOVE something like a Podcasts+ Subscription that has premium shows with no ads and revenue shared with the creators a la Patreon. I’ve been wanting this for a long, long time. They could either bundle it with Apple Music, or, IMHO, keep it separate so it can grow further on its own. Say $5-$7/mo w/ Family Sharing and a near 100% (maybe 85-15 or 95-5 or 99-1) revenue to creators that participate? I WANT to support great podcasters and shows financially to help keep them going, but I want to stay in the Podcasts app and not go through Patreon. 
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fluffhead said:
    I have Spotify premium and use it daily but I have never listened to a podcast on the app. I always use the native podcast app and I’m sure others do as well. So I’m really confused how something that is free (podcasts) are driving Spotify subscription growth?
    Spotify has some exclusive podcast content.  I listen to lots of content from The Ringer and they always mention their other podcasts that are only on Spotify.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Frankly, isn't it good that Apple doesn't completely dominate every market they are in?  From an anti-trust perspective if nothing else, Apple needs strong competitors.
    watto_cobra