Google Maps turns 15, rolls out new app features

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google Maps turns 15 today, and in honor of the service's birthday, Google is revamping its Google Maps app for both iOS and Android.

The changes are primarily centered around giving users more information about city-specific locations such as local restaurants, businesses, and attractions. Also highlighted are tourist hot spots and city landmarks worth visiting.

As well as providing information during a user's search, the revised app presents five tabs: Explore, Commute, Saved, Contribute, and Updates.

Explore allows a user to find information, ratings, and reviews about 200 million places around the world. Sites included are restaurants, nearby attractions, and city landmarks.

That's for choosing where to go on a journey to an unfamiliar place, but the app also provides new features for very familiar routes such as a user's daily trip to work. The Commute tab works to help find the most efficient route for their commute. It enables users to set up their daily commute initially, and then provides live traffic updates or automatically suggests alternative routes when there are significant delays.

The previous "For You" tab has been renamed Save, and expanded to allow users to view all their saved spots in a convenient location, plus organize plans for upcoming trips. It also gives users the option to share recommendations on places they've been.

The Contribute tab will give users the option to share information about areas they're familiar with, including business reviews, photos, and the ability to report missing places.

Lastly, a new Updates tab will provide a feed of trending spots in an area, sourcing both local experts and publishers. It will also allow users to directly with businesses to get questions answered.

The forthcoming Google Maps app,, shown here on Android. (Source: Google)
The forthcoming Google Maps app,, shown here on Android. (Source: Google)

The app is also getting a new icon alongside the update, ditching the old map design for one that brings the Google Maps pin front and center. Google claims that this "represents the shift we've made from getting you to your destination to also helping you discover new places and experiences."

Google is also boosting its public transit insight features. Users can find information on accessibility, security, temperature, and more. In Japan, users are able to see how many carriages are available on public transit, to help increase the odds of getting a seat.

The updates are expected to begin rolling out on February 6, across both iOS and Android devices. For a limited time, Google will also update the car GPS icon with a party-themed car icon in honor of Google Maps' birthday.

Apple has been expanding its own Apple Maps. In 2019, Apple rolled out improved Apple Maps data across the entire U.S. Apple plans on expanding the service in Europe in the coming months as it builds its dataset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Would be nice if they found a way to purge all the dead business entries though... got some near me that are so old that they are more than 2-businesses ago.
    mld53arazorpitDancingMonkeyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Hopefully this puts a fire under Apple - but Im not going to hold my breath. Apple Maps needs a better feedback system for corrections to their data, enhanced business info, gas pricing, and a Waze-like crowd sourcing for hazards/traffic/police sightings. Maybe 5 years from now we'll see those features added?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I love the elegance of the Apple hardware and ecosystem. But let’s face it; They are behind in a lot of things. Seeing businesses and points of interest in Apple Maps compared to Google Maps is an embarrassment to Apple lovers. 

How about giving $1 in ApplePay per newly tagged location to users. Of course people will try to cheat. There can be creative ways of dealing with that too. 

You simply can’t keep using phrases like “best user experience” and “making the world better” when you are lagging behind with data.
    FatmanMplsPchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    raybo said:
    Comments are blocked on the affiliate sale posts. Does Apple honor their 4-year keyboard warranty on Apple-refurbished 2018 13" MacBook Pros sold by Woot! ? It should be noted in the description.
    You’re going to trust this comment section? Ask Woot/Apple.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Fatman said:
    Hopefully this puts a fire under Apple - but Im not going to hold my breath. Apple Maps needs a better feedback system for corrections to their data, enhanced business info, gas pricing, and a Waze-like crowd sourcing for hazards/traffic/police sightings. Maybe 5 years from now we'll see those features added?

Why would Google maps being around for 15 years put a fire under Apple?

You are making it seem as if Apple maps hasn't improved exponentially since it's 2012 debut? I would like to see some more Waze like features as well in Apple maps..but asking if we will see these in 5 years still insinuates Apple maps is inferior or not adding enough features quickly enough... which I don't feel is the case at all.

I can only speak for my personal use here in the states.. I am not sure how the AM experience is in other parts of the world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I love the elegance of the Apple hardware and ecosystem. But let’s face it; They are behind in a lot of things. Seeing businesses and points of interest in Apple Maps compared to Google Maps is an embarrassment to Apple lovers. 
    I submitted a change to Apple Maps three separate times to delete a business that never existed. They ignored me so I gave up. If Apple wants to embarrass themselves, who am I to stop them?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Would be nice if they found a way to purge all the dead business entries though... got some near me that are so old that they are more than 2-businesses ago.
    Not sure how google maps is since I haven’t used it in years, but whenever I run across something like that in  Maps I just report it and it gets fixed within a couple days.

Edit: missed a word
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16

I submitted a change to Apple Maps three separate times to delete a business that never existed. They ignored me so I gave up. If Apple wants to embarrass themselves, who am I to stop them?
    Apple Maps is off by a block on my favorite breakfast restaurant. I've told them a couple times over the years--still a block off.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Do they not have a user feedback system like Apple Maps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Fatman said:
    Hopefully this puts a fire under Apple - but Im not going to hold my breath. Apple Maps needs a better feedback system for corrections to their data...
    What are your complaints about the current feedback system?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dysamoria said:
    Do they not have a user feedback system like Apple Maps?
    https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6194894?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    I just updated the Google Maps app on my iPhone and nothing's changed. There's still no Saved, Contribute, or Updates tab. Is anyone else seeing them?
    shark5150
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Fatman said:

I frequent a place that recently changed locations. Apple Maps still pointed to the old location. I sent a correction, with the new address and a picture of the relocated establishment.

The next week, Apple Maps showed the corrected location.

Did you have a specific issue with the feedback system?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    raybo said:
    Comments are blocked on the affiliate sale posts. Does Apple honor their 4-year keyboard warranty on Apple-refurbished 2018 13" MacBook Pros sold by Woot! ? It should be noted in the description.
    If you have proof of purchase, of course they will. 
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    ktappe said:
    I just updated the Google Maps app on my iPhone and nothing's changed. There's still no Saved, Contribute, or Updates tab. Is anyone else seeing them?
    I updated as well and still don't have the new tabs. The only thing that's changed is the app icon.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ktappe said:
    I updated as well and still don't have the new tabs. The only thing that's changed is the app icon.
    Google is finally adding those tabs, and I'd suspect you'll see them before the day is over. It's a server-side change so no app download or version is needed. Other previously announced features are still on the way, ex. augmented reality stuff, some of them this next month.