Microsoft readying iOS expansion of enterprise Threat Protection platform

Posted:
in iOS
Microsoft is extending its Threat Protection platform to cover mobile platforms, with it preparing to offer an update to its enterprise-grade security solution for iPhones, iPads, and Android smartphones and tablets.

Microsoft Threat Protection is the company's unified defense suite for enterprise customers, which can be used to help track threats from hackers and nation states against users under its protection. The service includes a number of factors, such as safeguarding services like email and applications, Office 365, and desktops, with automated systems in place to prevent or stop attacks, as well as to repair the damage.

In a blog post, Microsoft reveals it will be extending the range of its protection onto other platforms that users may employ to interface with company systems and services. As part of this, Microsoft will be offering a preview of its work in "mobile threat defense" at the RSA Conference.

The post does not explain exactly what to expect, other than its attempts to "bring our solutions to Android and iOS." While there is already some protection in place that affects users of iPhones and iPads when interfacing with systems under MTP protection, it is likely that Microsoft's upcoming announcement will provide more in-depth security on the device itself in some form.

"We know our customers' environments are complex and heterogenous," Microsoft writes as part of its reasoning for extending into iOS. "Providing comprehensive protection across multiple platforms through a single solution and streamlined view is more important than ever."

The revelation of iOS-related product updates arrives alongside other changes on the desktop and server side. The Thursday blog post also announced the public preview of Microsoft Defender ATP for Linux, an extension of Microsoft's endpoint threat protection that has been a "long-time ask" from its customers.

The RSA Conference runs from February 24 to February 28, and is being held at the Moscone Center, San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    and what protection do we think they'll be offering in the fully sandboxed world of iOS apps? Most (all?) existing "security" products on iOS do very very little.  Gonna be interesting to hear more details on what this ACTUALLY does...
    Beatsols
  • Reply 2 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    As much as going to MS for security software makes my skin crawl, I am interested in what they offer.
    olscaladanianjony0
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    No thank you. 
    Beatshydrogenrotateleftbyteolswilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 4 of 8
    No mention of the cost. $9.99/month from here to eternity perhaps?

I escaped the evil empire (aka Microsoft Software) over three years ago and like many I have zero intention of reversing that move.

hydrogenolswilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 5 of 8

Cisco Umbrella available today with the help of Cisco Meraki we mange 100’s remote workers. And protect devices from all known threats. For personal use, I recommend AdGuard that gives you a similar protection and blocks ads and trackers in addition to malware and man in the middle attacks, and many other threats!   

caladanianjony0
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Unless you’re using a company issued, managed iOS device this announcement is of little to no interest to you. If you are responsible for managing your company’s iOS resources and you’re a Microsoft house, you’ll probably be tasked with figuring out how to use it in your organization so now is a good time to start researching what’s coming.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Oh my!
    MS security solutions, better not use that, it will create an infinite attack vector.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I’d buy something similar from BlackBerry. At least I know that they don’t have advertising or third party revenue streams to take care of.