Apple researching all-glass iPhone with wraparound touchscreen

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
New Apple research describes an all-glass iPhone which can display information, icons, and images on any surface -- with the entire device touch sensitive.

Detail from a patent drawing. Note how the wallpaper stretches over the side, and the edges display touch-controls, or Complications-like data
Detail from a patent drawing. Note how the wallpaper stretches over the side, and the edges display touch-controls, or Complications-like data

The days of having to hold an iPhone vertically to make Face ID work may be numbered. So may the very idea of holding the phone the "right" way around, as a new Apple patent describes an iPhone which has little need or even indication of a correct orientation.

"Electronic Device with Glass Enclosure" describes an iPhone that comprises "a six-sided glass enclosure."

It is still the case that a front or "at least a portion of the first major side of the six-sided enclosure," will show most of the controls and display most apps.

"Conventionally, glass has been used in such devices to provide a transparent window over a touchscreen on a front of the device," says the patent. "Described herein, however, are electronic devices with enclosures that use glass to define multiple sides of the enclosure... In such cases, the enclosure may appear visually and tactilely seamless, such that the entire enclosure may appear to be formed from a single piece of glass (even though it may be formed from multiple separate pieces attached together)."

As well as this aesthetic benefit from an apparently seamless iPhone, all of the glass may be functional.

"Enclosures having glass defining multiple sides of the enclosure may facilitate or enable numerous additional functions and uses that are not realized with conventional enclosures," it continues. "For example, glass backs and glass sides may be transparent, allowing the electronic device to include additional displays that are viewable through the sides and/or the back. Moreover, the side- and back-viewable displays may be made touch and/or force sensitive using touch- and/or force-sensing systems, effectively turning the side and back surfaces into additional input devices or surfaces with which a user may interact to control the electronic device."

This could mean replacing the hardware mute switch, sleep/wake button, or volume controls, with touch-sensing areas. Apple might use a force-sensing to allow users to squeeze an iPhone, perhaps thereby telling it to send a call to voicemail.

From the drawings included with the patent, Apple is also looking at utilizing the edges of the phone to display information. There could be app-like icons on the that give one-tap access to Airplane Mode or Wi-Fi.

The examples shown include Apple Watch-like Complications such as readouts of the current weather, or scrolling data from the Stocks app.

Notice how the edges or
Notice how the edges or "peripheral sides" are deliberately indistinct as Apple wants to make a seamless device with no distractions

Apple shows wallpaper that stretches from the front and over the sides, showing a rounded taper rather than a distinct edge to the device. However, Apple does distinguish between these edges, calling the sides, top and bottom of the device "peripheral sides."

"[Multiple glass sides] may display graphical outputs (e.g., images, videos, etc.) that span multiple displays and sides of the device," says Apple. "For example, a single displayed graphical output (e.g., image, user interface, etc.) may wrap or extend over a front side, one or more peripheral sides, and a back side of the device, thus contributing to the unified appearance of the multiple sides.

With the sides being at least partly touch-enabled, "icons [may be allowed] to move across multiple surfaces when swiped, and may even... appear as a ribbon-like user interface that wraps around the device," says Apple.

The idea is to get away from the notion of front, back and sides, and instead "minimize such distinctions to form a functionally and visually unified display region that spans multiple surfaces."

Apple's Christopher D. Prest and Peter N. Russell-Clarke are credited as inventors. Prest is named in over 130 previous patents, including many related ones such as "Glass fastening and sealing systems," and "Multiple-element light-bending structures for minimizing display borders."

Similarly, Russell-Clarke has more than 30 prior patents, including "Glass device housings," and "Fused opaque and clear glass for camera or display window."

This patent follows one in November 2019 which also described a wraparound iPhone, though of a somewhat different design. The company has also been investigating flexible components, as well as possible folding displays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Good luck finding a case for that. And you’d need even more luck if you drop it without one. 
    saudawgMplsPspice-boyn2itivguychemengin1williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 35
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    My God! When is Apple going to start innovating again? Wrap around screen? Really? Not only does it suck, it's been done.
    MplsPspice-boyIreneWwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 35
    This looks like the last thing I would want.  No wired connectivity of any kind, so no charging while traveling unless I want to drag an expensive charge-mat around wherever I go.  And no USB connectivity, so all audio is going to be via Bluetooth, even though it never sounds as good.

And then, of course, with the entire device an active surface, there is no possible way to hold it without accidentally triggering some operation or another.  And if you try to put it in a case, you block access to this "feature".

If Apple ships this, it will convince me to look elsewhere for my next phone.  Actually, given the sorry state of Android, I'm starting to think it's time to give up on smart phones altogether.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Interesting to see Apple Watch-like complications creeping into "Phone" patents, especially when the idea lends to other devices and materials than those listed.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    This is quite interesting. It is good to see Apple is playing around with creative ideas even if the precise product may never be sold.
    gilly33williamlondonshaminowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    They patented it first because if they didn’t, Samsung would.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Tomorrow's headline:

"Samsung announces half-assed phone named 'Galaxy Edges' with wraparound touch screen and a 100% failure rate. Apple struggling to innovate"

*edit: sorry had to make the headline longer so more people get the joke.
    edited February 2020 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

jasonfj said:
    Good luck finding a case for that. And you’d need even more luck if you drop it without one. 
    Those were my thoughts exactly.
    Doesn't samsung already have a phone with a screen that wraps around on the edges?
    edited February 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    MplsP said:

jasonfj said:
    Those were my thoughts exactly.
    Doesn't samsung already have a phone with a screen that wraps around on the edges?

So does Apple. The Galaxy Edge that Sammy crapped out to yell "first!" was rushed and without purpose. They misread Apples future and thought Apple would use side gestures when really Apple wanted smoother edges for iPhone 6 (most successful iPhone in history) and Apple Watch(most successful watch in history).

old news.
    cornchipcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Interesting to see Apple Watch-like complications creeping into "Phone" patents, especially when the idea lends to other devices and materials than those listed.
    I would to have a bunch of complications on my iPhone screen, it would be so much better than opening individual apps to see the weather, etc...

Now in regards to this all glass or all screen iPhone.. don't think that would happen ever and would never buy one if it did. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    i think that some of the comments ridiculing this research by Apple are missing the point.
    Doing fundamental research is good for the industry in general.
    Doing the research and filing for a Patent does not mean any product is in the offing this year, next year or ever?

Companies try things out all the time. Some will work and some won't. That's why it is called 'Research'.

The development of viable ideas into real products is a different thing.
    StrangeDayspscooter63gilly33williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Researching. Not putting into production.

Samsung however seems to made up of nothing but clueless blog trolls....because they come to the same wrong conclusions and will probably have this product ready to go next month.
    StrangeDaysBeatspscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    jasonfj said:
    It would be a good phone for space travel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    i think that some of the comments ridiculing this research by Apple are missing the point.
    They're not just missing the point, they're utterly uninformed nonsense.
    Doing fundamental research is good for the industry in general.
    Doing the research and filing for a Patent does not mean any product is in the offing this year, next year or ever?
    Apple does this with ideas they already know they're not going to make into real products. They do it because they have the time, money, and resources to take silly, impractical ideas and flesh them out farther than anyone else ever has...to prove to themselves that there is nothing of value here. When they're done they can definitively answer whether or not it is something they even could make, let alone want to make. They can play with a prototype and realize, "As we thought, this is stupid, and no one would ever want it."
    It then goes in drawer never to be seen again... ..until Samsung sees the patent filing and makes it into a product the following week,
    edited February 2020 StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    techno said:
    My God! When is Apple going to start innovating again? Wrap around screen? Really? Not only does it suck, it's been done.
    Yyyeaah innovation at Apple, the company by & large everyone copies from, is dead. Because of a patent for a thing none of us have seen or really know what is intended for. Yup, you pegged it. Totally useless, old, sucks, blah blah blah...

Do you guys even read what you write? Or just it just come out?
    Beatspscooter63fastasleepwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35

shamino said:
    This looks like the last thing I would want.  No wired connectivity of any kind, so no charging while traveling unless I want to drag an expensive charge-mat around wherever I go.  And no USB connectivity, so all audio is going to be via Bluetooth, even though it never sounds as good.

And then, of course, with the entire device an active surface, there is no possible way to hold it without accidentally triggering some operation or another.  And if you try to put it in a case, you block access to this "feature".

If Apple ships this, it will convince me to look elsewhere for my next phone.  Actually, given the sorry state of Android, I'm starting to think it's time to give up on smart phones altogether.
    Gosh, I hope Apple thought of those painfully obvious constraints when spending god knows how much money researching this idea! 
    Beats13485pscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35

spice-boy said:
    I would to have a bunch of complications on my iPhone screen, it would be so much better than opening individual apps to see the weather, etc...
    Wish granted -- just swipe right on the home screen (or lock screen) to see your Widgets. No need to open individual apps to see the weather, etc...
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Wrap around displays might be a bit impractical, but they’re more useful than folding displays.  I do think they’re attractive...

With both designs (wrap & folding) I worry about durability.  Cases don’t really work for either design, so they have to be extra durable.  Folding displays (to date) have terrible durability.  I can’t see myself buying one in the decade.  Wrap around displays are in the good enough category already.  My issue is repair ability.  

Repairs costs for a 360 display are likely prohibitive...  on the other hand, I can think of some interesting app/OS concept that suggest it’s an appealing R&D direction.

• Reply 19 of 35
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Let’s see if Apple ever puts this concept phone into production, and if it does, I’m sure the company will have ironed out all of the concerns you guys addressed. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    The patent application is for the glass case or glass shell or glass enclosure on an electronic device. So, if there was a HomePod with a glass shell, where you could see the internal components like in Apple’s oft use interior shot advertising, this patent application has it covered. A display behind the glass is an ancillary part of the claims. Most of the application covers the gazillion ways to open and close an enclosure, which is basically every way you can imagine with metal or plastic cases, but just substitute glass.

The application is applicable to every device Apple makes: the Mac Pro, iMacs, the Watch, AirPods, iPads and iPhones. They are just thinking of ways to use glass as the shell of the device and what can be done.
    watto_cobra