New Forum : "Classic Threads"

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Every once in awhile there's a thread that is something that is a defining landmark in AppleInsider's history....most recently, Murbot's hysterical hard drive recovery thread over in General Discussion. What do you guys think about a forum where "Classic" threads can go? They'd of course be locked, read-only, but they'd be part of the AI museum.

Too bad we don't have the old "I am making plastics now" thread. Anyway, just a thought.

D

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    You mean like having an archive?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yep, just called it something diff.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I understand what he is saying, Like "The Best of AI" where they would be stored, maybe with a summary at the end
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Problems I see with this idea:

1. Why bother?

2. Who decides if it's worthy of the title 'Classic Thread' or not?

Pursuant to this idea, I had once bandied about the idea of having a 'Stupid Threads' forum where things would be moved instead of being locked. Decided against it, because, well, it's just not practical.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    It's a good idea but you could just start a thread in General Discussion called "AI Classics" and put links to threads in there.

[quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

Pursuant to this idea, I had once bandied about the idea of having a 'Stupid Threads' forum where things would be moved instead of being locked.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A forum for Really Stupid Threads? What were you on when you had that idea Jonathan?

J :cool:
  • Reply 6 of 11

<strong>Problems I see with this idea:

1. Why bother?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well the old AI had archives didn't it? It wasn't quite the same, since those archives were threads from all the different foums, but what makes it such a bad idea?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    The Moderators would decide!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    It was just an idea.

In the 3.5 years I've been hanging out here there have been some classic threads that all the old-timers remember and refer to occasionally. I just thought that it would be nice to capture some of the better ones for posterity. Not everything deserves to take up space on the server, but some would.

This could even lead to an Annual AI Awards Online Banquet wherein we remember the best threads of the past year and induct them into the AI Hall of Fame.

Nominations would be made by a certain date, all the AI members would vote and so on....

Anyway, it was just an idea.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Well the old AI had archives didn't it? It wasn't quite the same, since those archives were threads from all the different foums, but what makes it such a bad idea?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The archives were only for when a forum reached over 50,000 posts, I believe, to relieve strain on the server.
  • Reply 10 of 11

<strong>

The archives were only for when a forum reached over 50,000 posts, I believe, to relieve strain on the server.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, I didn't know that.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    It's a great idea. One way to decide whether a thread is worthy of the "Tomes of AI" would be if, when a user suggests that a thread be memorialized, 10 or more users - each with X number of posts to AI -- agree to it, it is done.

*shrug*

--PEte

PS - You guys remind me of my Computer Club in high school. We ran a 6-line BBS, the only high-school run multi-line BBS in the state at the time, and were we obsessed --