Nomad unveils updated Base Station alongside Power Combo sale

Posted:
in iPhone
Nomad has launched a more powerful Base Station Apple Watch Edition with additional outputs and faster charging. And to celebrate the release, shoppers can save 50% on any Nomad Kevlar-reinforced cable with the purchase of a Base Station during its Power Combo Sale.

Nomad Base Station Apple Watch Edition with iPhone

To bolster its new sale, Nomad is introducing an updated version of its Base Station Apple Watch Edition. It looks identical to the previous generation but now has an 18W USB-C output and a USB-A output. This new design allows up to five devices at once.

Nomad has also taken the opportunity to upgrade its Qi charging coils to now support up to 10W for compatible devices. Apple's latest iPhone, unfortunately, is still limited to 7.5W.

We will have an updated review of this model soon, but it seems ideally suited to charge an Apple Watch, an iPhone, a set of AirPods, an iPad Pro, and a battery pack all at once.

The updated Base Station Apple Watch Edition joins the Base Station Hub Edition (review) and the Base Station Hub Edition | Walnut (review).

Limited time sale

To celebrate the launch of the new Base Station, Nomad is offering a sale on its charging stations and its new Kevlar cables. We highly recommended Nomad's cables in our USB-C to Lightning cable buying guide.

Nomad has a huge array of Kevlar cables
Nomad has a huge array of Kevlar cables

If you buy any of Nomad's Base Stations you will receive 50% off one of its Kevlar cables. Kevlar cables include Type-C to Lightning, USB-A to Lightning, USB-A to universal, USB-C to universal, and USB-C to USB-C.

The Power Combo sale won't be around long, so be sure to pick up a Base Station and some additional cables while you can.

Apple deals

Apple Price Guides

AppleInsider and Apple authorized resellers are also running additional exclusive savings on Apple hardware that will not only deliver the lowest prices on many of the items, but also throw in bonus discounts on AppleCare, Office 365 and more. These offers are as follows:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kurai_kagekurai_kage Posts: 105member
    I bought one of these for my kid's charging station. My only real complaint is about the choice of power transformer. They are opting for a single charger that works around the globe, and as a result it is large and unwieldy. Additionally, while not an uncommon problem, the pad coils make no attempt to determine if the devices have stopped charing and so they waste energy and keep the devices warm. This is solvable, but takes some engineering time and the willingness to make the devices with a slightly higher cost. (edit for slightly improved grammar)
    edited March 2020 SoundJudgment
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Agree completely. The transformer plug, where it connects to the base station, on mine became loose and gave intermittent connections after a few months. Why not have a USB C input as well? It’s more secure, there’s obviously enough room for it, and the transformers are cheap. 
    The only problem with an otherwise great charger. But a fundamental one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I'm on my second Nomad Base Station (non-watch) and it is failing in the exact same way as the first one I returned. Only one of the coils works, the other two just flash their LED and don't charge. The first one was dead after about a day. This one has been working for a couple of months until a few days ago. I haven't contacted Nomad yet but I will since it is a $100 device. When it works, it is a nice Qi charger but so far it has not been reliable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    charles1charles1 Posts: 78member
    I bought one of the Nomad iPhone wireless charging stands. The design looked good, it just seemed about 30% too expensive. Now with this discount, it's much better. Oh darn I got spoiled by Amazon Prime, $8 for 2 day shipping. Eh the whole thing is still way too expensive. But the stand itself is USB-C. I might hook it up to my Apple 18w USB-C charger, I have others but those would be excessive. I wonder if plugging it into a USB-C port of my iMac 5k 27inch would provide sufficient power. I don't use those ports on my current setup, I'll probably start switching over gradually. So this Nomad device is cutting edge USB-C for me.