'AirPods Pro Lite' production to start in late Q1, Early Q2

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A low-cost version of the AirPods Pro will allegedly enter production very soon, as assembly partners of Apple are apparently preparing to commence manufacturing of the "AirPods Pro Lite" towards the end of the first quarter or at the start of the second quarter.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

Rumors of a new model of AirPods dubbed the "AirPods Pro Lite" first surfaced a month ago, with production of the new personal audio accessories thought to have been affected by the coronavirus, pushing a launch later in 2020. In a report published on Thursday, it is suggested launch may not be too far away.

According to industry sources of DigiTimes in a paywalled story, production of the supposed entry-level AirPods Pro variant "is expected to kick off between the end of the first quarter and the beginning of the second quarter." The sources are allegedly located within chip and component suppliers "engaged in the supply chain" for the device.

While production for the model may take place soon, it is not guaranteed that Apple will launch the model at around the same time. It is possible Apple would, in light of other production issues caused through the coronavirus outbreak, be interested in building up a sizable inventory before launching and releasing the model.

Few details have been offered about the device, except for its alleged -- and unlikely -- name of "AirPods Pro Lite" and its price being cheaper than the AirPods Pro. Specific features have yet to be determined, but speculation suggests it could offer some of the noise-cancelling capabilities of the Pro model, albeit in a reduced capacity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    That (rumored) name is ridiculous, but I'll buy them as soon as they are released.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 16
    It seems funny to talk about "in Q1" when there are only a few weeks left in Q1.  Unless we're talking about Apple's fiscal Q1 (which I don't think is the case).
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 3 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    That (rumored) name is ridiculous, but I'll buy them as soon as they are released.

I like to call the knockoffs AirPods Pro Max because they're so huge.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    How about -- "AirPods Proforma 6300" ?
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Obviously they should be branded as "AirPods air"
    blastdoor
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    It seems funny to talk about "in Q1" when there are only a few weeks left in Q1.  Unless we're talking about Apple's fiscal Q1 (which I don't think is the case).
    Apple's Q1 would be even more ridiculous since that ended Dec. 31, 2019.
    randominternetpersoniHy
  • Reply 7 of 16
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member

I don't see a market for a "Lite" pro version.  What could they remove from the current AirPod Pro that doesn't simply make them AirPods?  ANC plus some passive noise cancellation due to their in-ear position are basically the only things that make them unique from the originals (well, there's that they're even uglier than the original).

I never had trouble with the original AirPods, but AirPod Pros keep falling out of my ears.  Finally found a company that sold 3rd-party tips and they addressed the falling-out symptom.  But the material used (memory foam) is also more uncomfortable than the silicone tips the Pros come with.  I'd love to see ANC for the original AirPods.  Maybe they won't cancel noise as well, but at least they weren't so chubby that their weight carried them out of the ear.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 16
    JBSloughJBSlough Posts: 92member
    Maybe they’re just a next gen version of the regular AirPods. Smaller maybe and have the multiple ear pieces.  Or maybe Apple is pulling the trigger on a port less iPhone and these are what’s going to be in the box. But that might be tad too expensive. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    This story was published almost a month early. It's not April Fools day yet.

The functional differences between AirPods and AirPods Pro are noise canceling, active eq and water resistance. The price difference between AirPods with a wireless charging case and AirPods Pro (that all come with a wireless charging case) is $50. (The price difference between AirPods with a wireless charging case and AirPods with a wired-only charging case is $40.) The article speculates that the "Pro-Lite" devices could offer "some of the noise-cancelling capabilities of the Pro model, albeit in a reduced capacity." Reduced capacity noise canceling would just be crappy noise canceling, so why would anyone pay presumably more than the price for regular AirPods just to get noise canceling that doesn't work very well? And why would anyone go for presumably about $25 savings to almost get some AP Pros, but not quite? 
    randominternetpersonhcrefugee
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AppleZulu said:

The functional differences between AirPods and AirPods Pro are noise canceling, active eq and water resistance. The price difference between AirPods with a wireless charging case and AirPods Pro (that all come with a wireless charging case) is $50. (The price difference between AirPods with a wireless charging case and AirPods with a wired-only charging case is $40.) The article speculates that the "Pro-Lite" devices could offer "some of the noise-cancelling capabilities of the Pro model, albeit in a reduced capacity." Reduced capacity noise canceling would just be crappy noise canceling, so why would anyone pay presumably more than the price for regular AirPods just to get noise canceling that doesn't work very well? And why would anyone go for presumably about $25 savings to almost get some AP Pros, but not quite? 
    Yup. 

This rumour reads like someone throwing sh*t at the wall. 
    iHy
  • Reply 11 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    Rayz2016 said:
    AppleZulu said:

Yup. 

This rumour reads like someone throwing sh*t at the wall. 
    It's nonsensical enough I kind of wonder if it isn't some sort of counter-industrial-espionage tracer. Plant stupid rumor with suspected mole, read stupid rumor in the media to confirm suspicions, remove said mole from access to supply chain.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    FlytrapFlytrap Posts: 60member
    What is a pro-lite... this is an oxymoron... such a thing cannot exist, except, perhaps, in the minds of Apple's marketing department.

Doesn't adding the word "lite" at the end cancel the "pro" out. It's like adding the word "lite" after the word "plus"

Apple's naming convention is just all over the place, with no consistency whatsoever:
    • iPad -> iPad Air -> iPad Pro
    • MacBookAir -> MacBook -> MacBookPro
    • iPhone -> iPhone Pro
    • AirPod -> AirPod Pro

• Reply 13 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Waiting for the “AirPods Pro Lite XP Max”.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    applephappleph Posts: 11member
    AirPods Pro 2S Max
  • Reply 15 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    News flash everyone, “AirPods Pro Lite” will be called “Air Pods” and we will just note 2020 version or series 3 or 1,3 or whatever.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    WTF? I know Apple ditched all pretence of being an innovative computer designer/manufacture after they dropped the superb 1st., Intel MacPro, but this frivolity is acutely embarrassing. Worst still is the "Lite" nomenclature...where does this leave the 1st. and 2nd. Gen., wired/wireless charging iPods and Apple making claims of their superlative sonic performance? Pro and now Pro-Lite... Jobs appreciated Apple customers were discerning, privileged eccentrics who got the MacOS principle, Levinson, Cook and Williams look upon all past, present and future Apple customers as gormless chumps.

Then there's the chill I get down my spine when I see lookalike cloned iPods retailing for $8.00 - $60.00
    edited March 2020