Apple product launches face months of delays over supply chain backlog

Posted:
in General Discussion
Multiple supply chain analysts suggest future iPhones may see release dates slip by as much as two months due to coronavirus concerns.

All of the latest iPhone models appear to be supply constrained
All of the latest iPhone models appear to be supply constrained

In an investor note from Bank of America, it is suggested the "iPhone 12" that may feature 5G will be delayed by a month. The information comes from supply chain expert Elliot Lan, who also suggests delays of up to two months for the unannounced "iPhone SE 2."

Another analyst at Bank of America, Wamsi Mohan, says that launch timing will depend on the production ramp-up between now and May. The investor note contents were detailed in a report from Bloomberg which does not offer much more information on the subject.

The COVID-19 coronavirus has continued to spread over the past few months, and has since reached a global infection total of over 100,000 people. The CDC says around half of those infected have recovered, however.

Coronavirus cases versus deaths
Coronavirus cases versus deaths

The news of supply chain restraints and delayed shipments is nothing new. AppleInsider has been covering the spread of the virus and how it may affect Apple since January.

The latest reports place the coronavirus in the United States, which has caused a large shift in economic conditions. New York City retailers were saying they no longer received new shipments of iPhone 11 models, and blame the conditions in China.

Apple has already suggested their staff work from home, which is becoming the norm as the outbreak spreads. After similar events in China, tablet sales went up overall, as people adjusted to working from home. It is yet to be seen how quarantine in the United States will affect sales of Apple products.

Despite all of this, Tim Cook is certain that the situation is under control and that the supply constraints will only be felt for a short time. The Apple supply chain is diverse and can be manipulated to avoid such catastrophe, the issue is, now that the coronavirus is outside of China, it is very hard to avoid.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple is so DOOMED!!!!! They'll be bankrupt end of this year. Just wait and see! /s
    edited March 2020 beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    This begs the question: Will the spring 2020 Apple product announcements be delayed?
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I work in a non-tech industry that will be about as highly affected by the virus as you can imagine (under NDA, blah blah).

The whole mood around the company is surprisingly upbeat. They're basically writing off the first two quarters of the year; they're well-financed, so it's not really that big a deal. They're focusing on buckling down and using the opportunity to improve the product and knock it out of the park this fall.

Apple could similarly view this is as an opportunity. If iPhone releases get punted to late November, that gives them a huge window to really nail down all the issues with the new OS, which we all know has been turning into an annual disaster.
    chasmcaladanianlkruppjdwBart Ypscooter63muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 4 of 23
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    This begs the question: Will the spring 2020 Apple product announcements be delayed?
    A fair question...   but they can go ahead and announce products and then just put "coming soon" on the website.  Everybody knows there are manufacturing and supply chain issues, it's no secret at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I would guess the production of the products would have started at least early January, so it's only delayed the scale up of production, at the point Apple has probably already decided to delay until WWDC. But we shall see if even that goal can be met.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    I think it is more likely that the key fall products will simply be a bit more constrained than "usual" (severe constraints on new iPhones sometimes stretching for months were quite common just a few years ago). The non-crucial stuff (new iPads, new iMac Pro, that sort of thing) might see a month or two's delay, which as Curtis points out would simply push it from "spring" to WWDC-time, and I'm not sure the market would notice all that much -- the pent-up demand would likely help offset the quarterly drop we might see if (say) updated MBPs weren't released in April but instead came in June.

One of the advantages Apple touts regarding China and other regional countries' manufacturing is that it can ramp up on a figurative dime. You can bet that once the highest levels of danger have been resolved -- and that's going to happen in China first, I would guess -- the largest call for factory workers in the history of the tech sector will go out. Apple will also use some of their considerable reserves to help ensure that the holiday quarter offers as many products as it is humanly possible to get into stores to help make up for this early-year production delay.
    edited March 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    I think it's hard to predict how bad the epidemic and concomitant supply chain problems are going to get at this end of it, but Apple has far, far more than enough cash to cushion the blow even if the next quarter or three are below expectations. A serious crisis would be more likely to arise for one or more of Apple's suppliers, if it can't meet production targets or sales fall short of expectations due to other suppliers' problems. 
    MisterKit
  • Reply 8 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    arlor said:
    I think it's hard to predict how bad the epidemic and concomitant supply chain problems are going to get at this end of it, but Apple has far, far more than enough cash to cushion the blow even if the next quarter or three are below expectations. A serious crisis would be more likely to arise for one or more of Apple's suppliers, if it can't meet production targets or sales fall short of expectations due to other suppliers' problems. 
    It appears that everyone here has discounted any demand problems.

Do you really think that Chinese consumers are going to be buying consumer electronic devices in the same sales volumes as last year, for the next two to three quarters?

Example, look at auto sales in China;

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/auto-sales-china-log-biggest-140402126.html

"According to China Passenger Car Association, new car sales in China plummeted 80% year over year in February 2020. This marked the biggest monthly plunge on record as coronavirus concerns kept showroom traffic very low.

On average, car sales fell to 7,100 units a day during the month compared with 45,000 units per day in February 2019. However, average daily sales improved toward the end of the month, to around 16,000 units per day in the fourth week from 811 units per day early in the month. Reports suggest that the passenger car sales in China tanked nearly 41% through the first two months of 2020, reflecting the largest sales decline in two decades."

• Reply 9 of 23
    I would guess the production of the products would have started at least early January, so it's only delayed the scale up of production, at the point Apple has probably already decided to delay until WWDC. But we shall see if even that goal can be met.
    WWDC will be interesting if it is not cancelled or postponed — could be an opportunity to demonstrate technologies Apple has in the works. These decisions are being made right now. If WWDC is still on, then it will happen remotely and Apple is currently scrambling to do that. June is likely to be at or near the peak of the load for US healthcare systems — only the willfully ignorant are planning for anything else at this point. But the panic (currently underway) will be over, because reality will have caught up with us by then. 

iPads as videoconferencing tools, perhaps also tv hardware — not to mention the Apple Watch and its health-monitoring features — there’s a lot that could be done here to promote the remote-access and communications features of Apple’s systems. I’m not well-informed in this regard, so I don’t really know what is possible, but this could be an opportunity if it is handled right.
    edited March 2020 caladaniancurtis hannah
  • Reply 10 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is so DOOMED!!!!! They'll be bankrupt end of this year. Just wait and see! /s
    So are you suggesting I buy more stock like I did on Friday?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It’s the end of the world... or not!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    macxpress said:
    Buying now? I dumped all my AAPL @ $300 and will pick them up again in a few months time @ $200! $$$$
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macxpress said:
    Okay, so investors know precisely the cause of these supply problems. They also know they will affect revenue and profit temporarily. So why punish the stock? Why sell it off. The entire panic sell off of the stock market in general seems irrational when investors know this is a temporary situation that will rectify itself. I don't get it.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It’s the end of the world... or not!
    That's the problem. It's NOT the end of the world and everybody knows it. We know now that 80% of those infected do not require hospitalization. We know that the virus is letting children off easy for some reason. We know that the virus is taking out mainly the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. This virus is NOT the black plague that wiped out Europe in the Middle Ages. It's not anywhere near SARS or EBOLA. But you wouldn't know that from what we are subjected to by the world 's news media. This virus is being presented as the Apocalypse predicted by the Bible. Sure, we have to take measures to contain, treat, and educate. But the panic has been irrational. I just read that Ebay has completely banned the sale of masks and hand sanitizer to shut down the price gouging, Amazon is working overtime to shut down the price gougers. Sub human slime are exploiting the panic to scam money out of the uneducated by offering cures and treatments that are useless.  
  • Reply 15 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    alanh said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    macxpress said:
    Buying now? I dumped all my AAPL @ $300 and will pick them up again in a few months time @ $200! $$$$
    You must like paying capital gain taxes.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 23
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    "The COVID-19 coronavirus has continued to spread..."

The virus is named 
    SARS-CoV-2. COVID-19 is the name of the disease it causes. The World Health Organization doesn't want people to confuse this virus with the previous SARS virus so they refer to it as “the virus responsible for Covid-19” or “the Covid-19 virus”.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 17 of 23
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I work in a non-tech industry that will be about as highly affected by the virus as you can imagine (under NDA, blah blah).

The whole mood around the company is surprisingly upbeat. They're basically writing off the first two quarters of the year; they're well-financed, so it's not really that big a deal. They're focusing on buckling down and using the opportunity to improve the product and knock it out of the park this fall.

Apple could similarly view this is as an opportunity. If iPhone releases get punted to late November, that gives them a huge window to really nail down all the issues with the new OS, which we all know has been turning into an annual disaster.
    And miss the 2020 holiday season. 
  • Reply 18 of 23

iOS_Guy80 said:
    alanh said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    macxpress said:
    You must like paying capital gain taxes.
    Isn’t it better to make more money and pay tax than not to make more money and not to pay tax? 
    MisterKitbeowulfschmidtmuthuk_vanalingamalanhCarnage
  • Reply 19 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    macxpress said:
    Okay, so investors know precisely the cause of these supply problems. They also know they will affect revenue and profit temporarily. So why punish the stock? Why sell it off. The entire panic sell off of the stock market in general seems irrational when investors know this is a temporary situation that will rectify itself. I don't get it.
    No one is punishing the stock. Savvy investors take advantage of the mass psychosis. AAPL is not a a wife; it’s a mistress for those who know how to make money on the stock market. Only fools get married to a particular stock and feel that they are obligated to avoid infidelity by riding down with the market in cases like this. No one required of anyone to be with AAPL in sickness and in health till death do us part. 
    edited March 2020 chemengin1
  • Reply 20 of 23
    That's not what begging the question means.
    chabig