Apple software head Craig Federighi explains iPad's trackpad support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's iPads are officially getting full support for mouses and trackpads later this month. Company SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi demonstrates how the unique system works in a video released Wednesday.

Alongside a new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, Apple is adding expanded support for mouse cursors and trackpad gestures in iPadOS.
Alongside a new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, Apple is adding expanded support for mouse cursors and trackpad gestures in iPadOS.

Mouse support first showed up as an Accessibility feature in iOS 13, but Apple is taking things a step further in its next version of iPadOS. Essentially, trackpad support is part of a larger overhaul of the user interaction system. Specifically, the cursor.

As Apple software head Federighi detailed in a video provided to The Verge, the new cursor has been specifically designed for iPadOS' touch-first UI. In other words, it isn't just a Mac pointer slapped onto the tablet operating system.

For one, it'll only show up when you need it. Instead of being a persistent element of the UI, the mouse or trackpad pointer will appear only when your finger is on the trackpad.

The shape is also different -- it's a small dot instead of an actual pointer. It'll behave similarly to a computer pointer, with the ability to bring up the dock by hovering at the bottom of the display or the Control Center by clicking on the top status icons.

An example of how the cursor changes shape over certain buttons and clickable elements.
An example of how the cursor changes shape over certain buttons and clickable elements.

But most interestingly, the cursor will actually change shape and adapt to various UI elements to make it clear what you're pointing at, whether it's a button or a piece of text.

Speaking of text, the cursor will undoubtedly make it much easier to select, drag and otherwise manage large blocks of text than using your finger. If you're working in a spreadsheet, the cursor will help with the precision selection of cells.

The cursor is only one part of expanded pointer support in iPadOS. Another major addition is trackpad compatibility. And while there won't be the same set of gestures as a MacBook Pro or Air, the trackpad will support some multi-touch gestures, such as the ability to pinch-and-zoom.

With three fingers, you can go home with a swipe, invoke the multitasking menu with a swipe-up-and-hold, and quickly switch between open apps by swiping to the left or right. (The latter gestures also work seamlessly in Slide Over.)

Mouse and trackpad support appear tailor-made for Apple's new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, but third-party accessories and non-Pro iPads may also be able to take advantage of it. Alongside the new Magic Keyboard, third-party Apple partner Logitech debuted a pair of keyboard cases with trackpads for the 10.2-inch iPad and the new iPad Air.

It isn't clear, at this point, if those trackpads will also support the same set of gestures and shortcuts available on the new Magic Keyboard.

The 2020 iPad Pro models and the new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad will launch on March 24, while preorders are available now. Broader mouse and trackpad support are coming in iPadOS 13.4, which drops on the same day.
SpamSandwich

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    That is slick.  Watch that video.

This addresses the awkwardness of touch screen laptops in such an intuitive way that in a few years when everyone has copied it we'll forget that it wasn't obvious until Apple did it.
    wlymgregoriusmmacplusplusFlytrapStrangeDaysjony0bigpicswatto_cobrakurai_kageSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 29
    "But most interestingly, the cursor will actually change shape and adapt to various UI elements to make it clear what you're pointing at, whether it's a button or a piece of text." ...just like the mouse curser on the Mac. I mean, it's exciting and all to see it coming to the iPad, but this phrase just made me laugh.
    amarkapwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 29
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member

This addresses the awkwardness of touch screen laptops in such an intuitive way that in a few years when everyone has copied it we'll forget that it wasn't obvious until Apple did it.
    I think it was awkward in iPads, where you were forced to use touchscreen in vertical position with no option for trackpads until today.  With touchscreen notebooks, you always had the option to use the trackpad. 
    edited March 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    pumasalad said:
    "But most interestingly, the cursor will actually change shape and adapt to various UI elements to make it clear what you're pointing at, whether it's a button or a piece of text." ...just like the mouse curser on the Mac. I mean, it's exciting and all to see it coming to the iPad, but this phrase just made me laugh.
    The whole video makes it sound like that using a touchpad and having a cursor is some sort of revolutionary new technology.  What he means is, after all these years, the iPad can finally do what a PC (or Mac) has done since the beginning of time.
    amarkapavon b7
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I've had iPads and MacBooks for a while, always using them for different tasks. This is first time I can see the iPad as a real substitute for my work on a Mac. Maybe no need to keep investing in both items.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Since I use my iPad for so much, when I’m showing my wife something on her iMac, I sometimes forget, and sweep The screen with my finger first.
    wlymbshankGeorgeBMacdavgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29

My initial reaction is the opposite. Eek. A cursor that changes into the hover button itself and changes shape looks very confusing and disorienting. Where’s my cursor? Oh wait, it’s this light grey shape now.
    I will only know if it works when I play around with it ofcourse, but this looks like a usability nightmare to me.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    ITGUYINSD said:
    pumasalad said:
    The whole video makes it sound like that using a touchpad and having a cursor is some sort of revolutionary new technology.  What he means is, after all these years, the iPad can finally do what a PC (or Mac) has done since the beginning of time.
    Wrong. The iPad cursor moves in ways that a computer cursor doesn't. The iPad cursor behaves differently depending on the context of what you're doing.
    gregoriusmbloggerblogmacplusplusbshankwilliamlondonrandominternetpersonmac_dogStrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Arrrgh, limited track pad options. I would at least like to replicate the way I used my track pad on my MacBook, if I swipe up with 4 fingers, allow me to do that. Sure, I could change my MacBook to match the iPad gestures but that's changing what I am comfortable with. It will take some getting used to if you use a track pad at work and a MacBook, so ideally as much similar functions will make it more seamless.

Shockingly high price though for the new keyboard. 

Look forward to the reviews. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    What... what's that sound? Oh it's Google turning on their xerox machines.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Why muck around with ARM Solo Mac's when they can clearly just make better iPads that will exceed what a Mac can do?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    All I need is After Effects for ARM iPad Pro and it’s no more MacBook Pro for me. I work on an iMac Pro, but when I’m away I still use my 2013 MBPr...but she’s showing her age. I use my iPad as a replacement for my Wacoms, and write nearly all my books on iPad. That keyboard is going to seal the iPad as the next computing shift for me. 👍
    mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    iPads  ≠ iPad Pro. Please be specific. 

I got an iPad 2017 and weeks later the new iOS declared that mouse pointer didn’t support my iPad!

Will iOS include my iPad 2017 in the mouse support list?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    What... what's that sound? Oh it's Google turning on their xerox machines.
    Google will be making lots of money from advertising as people are shut in and working from home or laid off.  Same with Amazon and home delivery.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    So, we’re saying “mouses” now? That’s new to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

My initial reaction is the opposite. Eek. A cursor that changes into the hover button itself and changes shape looks very confusing and disorienting. Where’s my cursor? Oh wait, it’s this light grey shape now.
    I will only know if it works when I play around with it ofcourse, but this looks like a usability nightmare to me.
    ITGUYINSD said:
    pumasalad said:
    Wrong. The iPad cursor moves in ways that a computer cursor doesn't. The iPad cursor behaves differently depending on the context of what you're doing.
    Computer cursors change as well. Not into a highlighted object, necessarily, but from an arrow, to a text cursor, to a cross, and to other shapes as well. That can get confusing when moving it across a high rez screen. Every time you move over a different type of file, it changes. We’re used to it, so it doesn’t bother us too much. And we’ll get used to this too. There’s no point in being all fuddy duddy about it.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    At this point I am not seeing much future for the bulk of the laptop Mac line, and I say that as the owner of a Mac laptop and an iPad Pro.

Apple has gotten serious about addressing the limits of the iOS with the IPad OS fork and other developments.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mattinoz said:
    Why muck around with ARM Solo Mac's when they can clearly just make better iPads that will exceed what a Mac can do?

I think that's been the fear of many many MacBook fans.  But, ultimately, they are different form factors that, while there's overlap, ultimately have differing form factors and capabilities.

The trouble is that MacBooks have been trying to emulate iPads: strictly, thin, light and highly portable and sacrificed features and capabilities to get there.   Apple needs to refocus MacBooks on capabilities and functionalities and let iPads have the high mobility market.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 19 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    One important thing I have not seen mentioned yet:   Does the iPad cursor/trackpad have 'right click' capability?

That can be really useful in word and spreadsheet applications -- as well as other things
  • Reply 20 of 29
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Are Bluetooth keyboards supported or only keyboards that use the dock? I ask because I think this is an interesting scenario. A user may find a keyboard and mouse/trackpad support unnecessary when mobile and only want keyboard and mouse support when at a desk. So they buy a basic iPad case and have a stand for desk use where they can use their existing Magic Trackpad and Bluetooth keyboard.