Review: Louis Vuitton Horizon earbuds are the luxury headphones you can't afford

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Luxury fashion brand Louis Vuitton has partnered with premium audio company Master & Dynamic for the second time in creating the epic Horizon true wireless earbuds. While the high price tag keeps them out of reach for the masses, they are no doubt a stunning piece of tech.

The Louis Vuitton Horizon true wireless earbuds may look familiar. That's because they are a branded, customized, and improved version of the recent Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus earbuds. When it comes to all-important audio quality, the MW07 Plus is going to perform the same. The main features of the headphones remain the same as well.

Everything else -- from the packaging, to the charging case, to the exterior appearance -- has all changed. Let's see what the Louis Vuitton brand brings to set these excellent headphones apart.

Premium is all about the experience

As a luxury brand, Louis Vuitton is all about the user's experience. From opening the box, to handling the product, to actually using the headphones themselves.

When the headphones arrive, it is the gold-standard of an unboxing experience -- literally. The box is wrapped in a gold linen paper and closes magnetically with the Louis Vuitton logo emblazoned on the top.

Once opened, the headphones inside their carrying case reside to the left and a small blue pull-ribbon is on the right. Pulling the ribbon reveals two canvas Louis Vuitton bags. One bag holds all the replacement silicone ear tips and the other a USB-C cable and USB adapter.

The cable is a nylon-wrapped cable with the "LV" wordmark printed on each of the metal overmolds. It has an integrated leather cable wrap to keep it organized when not in use. The cable is a USB-C to USB-C cable, and a metal USB-C to USB-A adapter is included for anyone who has legacy ports still around and requires that Type-A connector.

Before getting to the headphones, also in the box is a getting started manual, and a linen envelope with a Louis Vuitton-branded polishing cloth.

Louis Vuitton Horizon

Then we have the headphones themselves. These headphones are just stunning. The earbuds are nestled inside a glass and steel case. That case is a polished space black color. The bottom is ceramic and has a Louis Vuitton logo and Mongram flower pattern on the underside. On top of the case is a clear sapphire glass window that highlights the headphones inside and has a ring of Monogram flowers around the edge.

It feels solid, looks gorgeous, and is a step up from the masses of plastic charging cases out there.

That case gets slipped into its own case, crafted from supple leather that is ever so soft on the inside as to not cause any abrasions to the stainless steel case. It has a contrasting leather pull for a zipper that seals it shut.

Each of the individual earbuds has a polished acetate body with "Vuitton" etched into the side with a stainless steel "LV" circle embedded.

Audio quality

As we mentioned, these are a modified version of the newest MW07 Plus true wireless headphones. That means they carry many of the same properties we highlighted in that standalone review.

The headphones have custom 10mm beryllium drivers, four embedded microphones, single-earpiece use with the left or right headphones, proximity sensors for auto-play and auto-pause, IPX5 water resistance, and Bluetooth 5 connectivity.

Here is an excerpt from our MW07 Plus review when it comes to audio quality.
"One of our favorite songs to test with is Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." It is such an eclectic song with guitar solos, heavy bass hits, high pitched operatic sections, and more. It does a great job pushing the headphones to the limits and shows their strengths.

A high point for the MW07 Plus is again right before the tempo increase during one of many guitar solos. The subsequent operatic section also was a pleasure to listen to. With so much going on, weaker headphones often bury the details in a busy song like this.

In some of my earlier testing songs, I started to feel a bit underwhelmed when it came to the bass output but that changes as I went into Joe Cocker's "Come Together." The bass was prominent, but still had the definition of expect out of higher-end headphones. Even some high-end headphones that tend to lean towards the bass-heavy side can often lose definition in the bass on this song as they just try to push more out."

How they differ from the MW07 Plus

Louis Vuitton upgraded several different components in bringing the cobranded model to market. First, it's designed their own acetate exteriors to highlight its brand and colors. It designed the additional leather carrying case to protect its custom steel battery case. And, most exciting, integrated wireless charging.

Master & Dynamic has its own steel carrying cases that look great, but it is hard to beat the ceramic, steel, and sapphire makeup of the Louis Vuitton model. That ceramic bottom is what enables the wireless charging as making the entire case steel would hamper the transmission of power.

Wireless charging has become the norm was other wireless earbuds including AirPods, AirPods Pro, and Galaxy Buds+. It is nice to see it come to the Horizon earbuds too.

The charing cable in the box is the same as what is included with the normal MW07 Plus headphones, though it does gain the Louis Vuitton branding and the leather cable management piece.

Otherwise, these are the same MW07 Plus headphones we've come to love. Great sound quality, excellent build, all propelled above and beyond with the premium Louis Vuitton touches.

Should you buy the Louis Vuitton Horizon earbuds?

We probably don't have to spell this out for you. On one hand, these are some of the absolute best wireless earbuds on the market. It takes the exceptional MW07 Plus, adds a better stainless steel and ceramic case, bakes in wireless charging, and has the additional leather case. On the other, they are clearly more of a luxury product and just because they are better doesn't all a sudden bring them within reach of your average consumer.

These headphones are a shining example of a luxury brand doing it right by not just slapping a logo on and instead, doing some serious upgrades to what was already one of our favorite sets of earbuds.

We can't -- and won't -- recommend you go out and pick up a set, but if you are in the market for a set of luxury headphones then we think you probably found the set you're looking for.

Pros
  • Fantastic unboxing experience

• Incredible amount of detail in everything, including the accessories

• Sleek charging case with wireless charging

• Leather protective case

• Improvement over the amazing MW07 Plus
Cons
  • The expected luxury price tag

• No real noise cancelling

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

This rating is based on presentation and performance alone. We're just not sure that the cost to benefit equation is there overall.

Where to buy

The luxurious Louis Vuitton Horizon headphones come in four different colorways -- the black displayed here, as well as red, white, yellow, and pink.

Each will set you back $1,120 dollars direct from Louis Vuitton's website.

Those that may see it as a bit out of their price range but still want their own Master & Dynamic version can pick up the MW07+ for $299.

As a special offer for AppleInsider readers, we are also offering an exclusive 50% off the original MW07, bringing the price down to a crazy $99.50. Just use code APPLEINSIDER50 on the Master & Dynamic website to drop the price. Master & Dynamic is also including free delivery, and orders placed Monday-Friday by 1 p.m. Eastern are typically shipped the same day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Sort of an insulting headline, no? At $1120 these are certainly expensive for earbuds but I plenty of people with LV bags that cost just as much or more. Clearly there are less expensive bags than LV’s offerings but that doesn’t stop many people.

To me, it comes down more to this: are the wireless charging case, leather case and LV branding worth the additional $800? To me, no, because I don’t care about such things.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    Sort of an insulting headline, no? At $1120 these are certainly expensive for earbuds but I plenty of people with LV bags that cost just as much or more. Clearly there are less expensive bags than LV’s offerings but that doesn’t stop many people.

To me, it comes down more to this: are the wireless charging case, leather case and LV branding worth the additional $800? To me, no, because I don’t care about such things.
    Some people will buy LV bags and use them for decades, get them refurbished when worn out and even pass them down to their children. I'm not a fashionista, so I don't get that either (to me it is simply a way to brag how much money you have). These are likely cheap chinese earbuds wrapped in a LV shell. When the internal batteries no longer hold a charge and better technology comes out, these will be dumped in the trash. You think anyone is still wearing a $10k gold series 1 Apple watch? Doubt it.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    6502 said:

Some people will buy LV bags and use them for decades, get them refurbished when worn out and even pass them down to their children. I'm not a fashionista, so I don't get that either (to me it is simply a way to brag how much money you have). These are likely cheap chinese earbuds wrapped in a LV shell. When the internal batteries no longer hold a charge and better technology comes out, these will be dumped in the trash. You think anyone is still wearing a $10k gold series 1 Apple watch? Doubt it.
    A better example would be the original SS Space Black with Link Bracelet Apple Watch that went for about the same price as these ear buds or, more currently, the ceramic models. Lots of people have those.

It’s still moderately insulting to say “you can’t afford” for something that’s just over $1000. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    6502 said:

"Luxury fashion brand Louis Vuitton has partnered with premium audio company Master & Dynamic for the second time"...  I thought the article confirmed their partnership with M&D?  I doubt these are cheap chinese buds wrapped in a LV shell as you imply.

Price is crazy to me, but that doesn't mean they are outright lying about what type of buds they actually are?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    6502 said:

A better example would be the original SS Space Black with Link Bracelet Apple Watch that went for about the same price as these ear buds or, more currently, the ceramic models. Lots of people have those.

It’s still moderately insulting to say “you can’t afford” for something that’s just over $1000. 

Agreed.. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

I wouldn't read into it. It's just a headline denoting that they are atypically expensive for their utility and CE performance. It's not in any way a statement about what any of us can afford.
    MacProCloudTalkinpscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    In agreement with this review, I have to credit LV and M&D for going way beyond the norm of luxury "branded" products in creating a truly bespoke version of the MW07 Plus. Consider that the Apple Watch Edition Ceramic Series 5 was an $800 upcharge over a comparable aluminum model and the ONLY difference was the ceramic case--which itself was only visible as a white perimeter wrapping the watch, sandwiched between the crystal on top and the sensors on the bottom. It didn't even include a bespoke band, unless you consider a white silicone sport strap as "premium." In fact, when you consider the amount of luxury customization undertaken for these earphones, which will sell in relatively small quantities, you could even argue that the $800 upcharge is a relative bargain, at least in the context of typical Louis Vuitton pricing. 

Are they "worth" it? If money is no object for you, then maybe yes. But how about for the rest of us? Well, if wireless earbuds were a more mature technology, it would be easier to make the argument for a splurge on these, knowing the tech wouldn't be eclipsed in a major way for a while. But, sorry to say, the MW07 Plus have already been significantly bettered by Sony's top offering, for example, in terms of audio quality, noise cancellation and battery life. And I have no doubt the state of the art in wireless earbuds will continue to be advanced significantly over the next year and years ahead before the tech hits a more mature plateau. So dropping almost $1200 on earbuds that will likely lag even the audio quality and tech of more mass market offerings within a year is tough to recommend. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    "...No real noise cancelling". Why bury this fact in the very last sentence?  For me, that's a deal breaker at any price.  It's the feature I best like about my AirPods Pro.  I use it even when I'm not listening to music, for example when I'm trying to get something done in a noisy environment.  Maybe Vuitton will eventually offer a noise-cancelling version for $2500.  I'll stick with my white plastic gems.
    MacProsvanstromStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    6502 said:

If you're insulted by a general, unpointed headline that suggests that $1120 is rather a lot than most people would want to pay for a pair of bud headphones, then you should probably reconsider your sensitivities.  
    MacProsvanstromCloudTalkinpscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    LV?  Not nearly as impressive as . :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    6502 said:

These are Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus earbuds. Some of the best out there. Absolutely not a "cheap Chinese earbud" they branded here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    This product matches the rest of the LV lines including iPhone cases and Apple Watch strap. This is solely for LV brand devotees.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    6502 said:

These are Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus earbuds. Some of the best out there. Absolutely not a "cheap Chinese earbud" they branded here.
    jcs2305 said:
    6502 said:

"Luxury fashion brand Louis Vuitton has partnered with premium audio company Master & Dynamic for the second time"...  I thought the article confirmed their partnership with M&D?  I doubt these are cheap chinese buds wrapped in a LV shell as you imply.

Price is crazy to me, but that doesn't mean they are outright lying about what type of buds they actually are?

Sorry, I'm not an audiophile and never heard of M&D before. I searched the non-LV version on amazon and they're $300 with noise cancelation (reviews were fair to good). Do they design their own DSP or buy off the shelf ones? I'm sure they're made in the same chinese factory as generic earbuds are with mostly similar parts. I'm guessing most people couldn't tell the difference in sound quality between a $1200 pair and a $200 pair, you're paying just for the LV and the right to brag how much money you have. It's kinda like Coach purses made in china. At the end of their shift the workers making the coach purses take the leftover leather, go to the factory next door and make knock-off purses for 1/10th the price. Same skilled worker, same design, same materials.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    6502 said:

You see headlines like this all the time on Wired. It’s just a style. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I would get it, but there's not a case for the case's case ;-P