Compared: 2017 iPad Pro versus 2020 iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2020
Apple's 2020 iPad Pro lineup may not be that big a difference from the 2018 revision -- but there is a much wider gap if you go back to the 2017 model. We compare Apple's newest pro tablet to the popular 2017 line to see how much difference three years can make.

2020 and 2017 12.9-inch iPad Pros
2020 and 2017 12.9-inch iPad Pros

We've already compared the 2020 iPad Pro to the 2018 iPad Pro, but many users out there are still on the 2017 model. After only having the iPad for a year, it was a tough proposition for those 2017 owners to jump to the 2018, despite its gorgeous redesign.

That's all changed.

Internals

Internally, there is a big gap between the 2017 iPad Pro and the 2018 iPad Pro. The newer tablets are more powerful, pack better graphics, and boast more features.

The processor which has gone from the A10X Fusion processor to the A12Z processor. The A10X Fusion is a six-core chip while the A12Z is now an eight-core.

The new 2020 models also come equipped with 6GB of RAM across the board which has practical applications when it comes to a large number of document tabs open or active apps in the background.

Wi-Fi 6 is also included on the new iPad Pros.

Performance

Those internal changes lend themselves to greatly improved performance. On other tablets, this power increase may not be as important, but pro users who push their tablets to the limits, are more likely to notice these gains.

We ran the Geekbench 5.1 benchmark multiple times on each set of tablets.

2017 (left) versus 2020 (right) Geekbench 5.1 scores
2017 (left) versus 2020 (right) Geekbench 5.1 scores

For the CPU benchmark, we were scoring around 754 for the single-core and 2222 on the multi-core when looking at the 2017 model. Running the same test on the 2020, we were seeing spikes up to 1117 and 4690 on the single and multi-core tests respectively. A near 100% gain on the multi-core test due partially to the two additional cores as well as to the more powerful chipset.

2017 (left) versus 2020 (right) Geekbench 5.1 GPU scores
2017 (left) versus 2020 (right) Geekbench 5.1 Compute scores

Turning to graphics, we ran the Compute benchmark. Here, we earned a 6581 and a 9296 on the 2017 and 2020 models -- about a 50% increase between the two.

Cameras

It is clear right from the outset once you get your eyes on the tablet that the camera modules of each device are vastly different. The 2017 iPad Pro has a simple round 12MP wide-angle camera lens that sticks out ever-so-slightly and is adjacent to the True Tone flash.

iPad Pro cameras
iPad Pro cameras

That differs from the far more pronounced camera bump on the 2020 model, which matches the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max in shape. In that new housing is a 12MP wide-angle camera, a 10MP ultra-wide camera, the True Tone flash, and the LiDAR scanner.

The updated model can capture 4K video at 24FPS, 30FPS, and 60FPS compared to only 30FPS on the 2017. It also records slow motion video at at 1080p 240FPS while the 2017 could only record 240FPS slo-mo at 720p.

For audio, there are five "studio quality" microphones, far beyond the dual mics on the 2017 model.

Design

The backs of the 10.5-inch and 11-inch iPad Pros
The backs of the 10.5-inch and 11-inch iPad Pros

When we consider the design, you can see how impactful the designs are. Looking at the 11-inch and comparing it to the 10.5-inch, the tablets are nearly the same size when you look at them from the back.

The fronts of the 10.5-inch and 11-inch iPad Pros
The fronts of the 10.5-inch and 11-inch iPad Pros

But as we turn them around, the amount of additional screen real estate is apparent. Apple kept almost the same size tablet but increased the screen by a half-inch on the diagonal.

The backs of the 2017 and 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pros
The backs of the 2017 and 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pros

That ia a different approach than Apple took with the 12.9-inch mode. Here, Apple drastically cut the size of the device, trimming both its width and its height.

The fronts of the 2017 and 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pros
The fronts of the 2017 and 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pros

As you can tell from the front, the screen size is the same, just with far slimmer bezels.

Obviously ditching the Home button for Face ID helped this transformation as Apple has transitioned to Face ID. Face ID uses the TrueDepth camera system which enables portrait mode selfies to be taken on the 2020 iPad Pros.

Other design changes including ditching the headphone jack on the new models, moving to USB-C, and integrating the inductive charger for the second-generation Apple Pencil.

Finally, while there is a Smart Keyboard for each generation iPad Pro, only the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pros will support the new Magic Keyboard when it launches this May.

Full breakdown

iPad Pro (2017)iPad Pro (2020)
Sizes10.5" & 12.9"11" & 12.9"
Storage64GB/256GB/512GB128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB
ProcessorA10X FusionA12Z Bionic
Geekbench Scores754 Single-core, 2222 Multi-core1117 Single-core, 4653 Multi-core
Geekbench GPU Scores65819296
Rear Cameras12MP12MP wide lens, 10MP ultra-wide lens, LiDAR
Video Capability4K 30FPS, 1080P 30 or 60FPS, Slo-mo 1080P 120FPS or 720P at 240FPS4K 24, 30, or 60FPS, 1080P 30 or 60FPS, Slo-mo 1080P 120 or 240FPS
AuthenticationTouch IDFace ID
SpeakersFour SpeakersFour Speakers
MicrophoneTwo MicrophonesFive "studio quality" microphones
Apple PencilFirst-genSecond-gen
KeyboardSmart KeyboardSmart Keyboard, Magic Keyboard
I/O PortsLightning, Headphone JackUSB-C

Apple's iPad Pro line has pushed the tablet space forward, with raw power, impressive cameras, and incredible features. The 2017 iPad Pro is no slouch but compared to the impressive 2020 iPad Pro, it is easy to see why many will elect to upgrade.

Where to save on Apple's iPad Pro

Instant discounts on Apple iPads are going on right now, including 2020 11-inch iPad Pro savings and deals on the 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Those looking for the steepest markdowns can also save triple digits on closeout 2017 iPad Pros, with a wide assortment of deals available in the AppleInsider iPad Price Guide.

2020 11" iPad Pro discounts 2020 12.9" iPad Pro markdowns

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The 2020 is without a doubt droolworthy. I'd love to get one. But my 2017 is working fine. Sure it's got some 'battle damage' from all the use, the trips, the expeditions, and so on, but it works. I can draw, I can write, it uses the ApplePencil, it does what I need. November 2021 is when I'm looking at updating and FBoFW I'm going to stick with that.
    razorpitStrangeDaysMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Depends how much you want to spend on diminishing returns, really. I recently picked up a nearly mint 2017 iPad Pro (256/wifi) for $350 off Facebook Marketplace. Quick check with Coconut Battery showed 53 cycles. Add $90 for an Apple Pencil from Amazon and I'm off to the races looking for ways to incorporate it into my business. It's a nice piece of kit for the price I paid. I can't imagine paying north of $900 or $1000 for an iPad. The value just isn't there for me. But more power to people for whom it is. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 24
    sethm1sethm1 Posts: 4member
    Are the antennas for the wifi and cellular any better with the 2020? I dont have a wifi 6 router so wonder if the range now is better. And speaking of range, my 2017 not that great with my Verizon service. Most times see 1 or 2 bars.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    My 2017 iPad Pro more than meets all of my needs and then some. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My 10.5 iPad Pro 256 GB is still going strong and I've been using it since the day it was first released.

The new iPad Pros look nice, but I don't plan on updating just yet. It just isn't necessary at this time and I'm very happy with my current iPad Pro.

We'll see what happens when the 2021 or 2022 iPad Pros comes out. 

I'm in no big rush.
    razorpittht
  • Reply 6 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    apple ][ said:
    My 10.5 iPad Pro 256 GB is still going strong and I've been using it since the day it was first released.

The new iPad Pros look nice, but I don't plan on updating just yet. It just isn't necessary at this time and I'm very happy with my current iPad Pro.

We'll see what happens when the 2021 or 2022 iPad Pros comes out. 

I'm in no big rush.
    I'm holding onto my 10.5 as best as I can too. My 256 GB model is running out of storage, and really looking forward to 1 TB to 2 TB storage options. Holding out for miniLED, 8 GB RAM and maybe 2 TB storage option if it is available.

If you think about it, we should think of iPads like Macs, not iPhones. The vast majority of people do not replace 3 year old Macs. So, it is completely normal for 2017 iPad Pro owners to wait another year or two.
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I am personally tired of just seeing geekbench and whatever synthetic testing is done to "show" performance gains.  Let's see some real world work like number crunching in excel, video manupilation/editing times, page reloads in safari, converting documents to PDFs, uploading/downlaoding documents/photos to a site.  That is what means more to me to decide if the upgrade is really worth it.  90% of the people upgrade because it is shiny and new, not because it actually increases productivity.  I can only type so fast, enter number so fast, and manipulate photos so fast to a point.  Show me how much time I will actually save and the  $$$$ I can make from it.
    thtrazorpitmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Whocares2 said:
    I am personally tired of just seeing geekbench and whatever synthetic testing is done to "show" performance gains.  Let's see some real world work like number crunching in excel, video manupilation/editing times, page reloads in safari, converting documents to PDFs, uploading/downlaoding documents/photos to a site.  That is what means more to me to decide if the upgrade is really worth it.  90% of the people upgrade because it is shiny and new, not because it actually increases productivity.  I can only type so fast, enter number so fast, and manipulate photos so fast to a point.  Show me how much time I will actually save and the  $$$$ I can make from it.
    Seconded, Thirded, and Fourthed.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I can recommend one upgrade to everybody who currently has a 10.5 Pro, if they don't already have what I'm about to suggest.

Buy a USB C charger and a good MFI approved USB C - Lightning Cable.

The 10.5 iPad Pro never came with a USB C charger and getting one will drastically speed up your charging times.

If you're playing a heavy duty game or doing something else that drains the battery quickly, then having the USB C charger will mean that you wont have to worry about your battery running low or depleting too quickly anymore.

I've been using a GaN charger which is super tiny for a while now, and I never worry about my battery life anymore, because I can have the iPad Pro fully charged in no time at all. The one I am using is a 29 Watt GaN charger from Ravpower, but multiple brands make those kinds of chargers now.

That wouldn't be the case if I was still using the regular 12 watt Apple charger.

And especially on a machine where the battery might be a few years old already, having that fast charger makes a difference.
    edited April 2020 razorpitgeekmee
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Hi, I it possible to see the size difference between 10.5 2017 and 12.9 2020? I‘d also like to hear how the size difference feels in daily tasks. I currently own the 10.5 and am not sure about the upgrade to either 11 or 12.9. Andy
  • Reply 11 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    neoncat said:
    Depends how much you want to spend on diminishing returns, really. I recently picked up a nearly mint 2017 iPad Pro (256/wifi) for $350 off Facebook Marketplace. Quick check with Coconut Battery showed 53 cycles. Add $90 for an Apple Pencil from Amazon and I'm off to the races looking for ways to incorporate it into my business. It's a nice piece of kit for the price I paid. I can't imagine paying north of $900 or $1000 for an iPad. The value just isn't there for me. But more power to people for whom it is. 
    Thanks for the tip on Coconut battery, I’d used it for MBs in the past but not iOS devices. 

As for the iPad Pro, it begins at $800, not $900. I always get the smallest capacity of late, due to iCloud usage. My 2017 is using only 37gb of 64gb. Looking forward to the new model, after I get to try the Magic Keyboard setup. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Whocares2 said:
    I’ve seen other articles with that. The 2020 smoked even the 2018 on a video export, from 20 seconds processing to 5....just with the one added GPU core.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Funnily enough 3 weeks ago I picked up a used 2017 iPad Pro (10.5", 256gb, WiFi+Cellular) for approximately half the price of a new 11" iPad Pro, and less than a new iPad Air (64gb wifi).

I knew that an update was coming for the Pro, but that wasn't the price point I was aiming for - the Air was the model I was thinking of getting.

Obviously the new Pros will benchmark well above an almost 3 year old model and have a few improvements, not to mention the re-design with FaceID and no home button.

But compared to the current iPad Air, the 2017 Pro's CPU benchmarks are around the same, the 10.5" Pro's GPU is significantly better, it has more RAM and the TrueTone + ProMotion display.

I'm not expecting to edit multi-track 4K video with this, but I expect it will handle simple 4K edits or more complex 1080p video easily enough, on top of all the regular day-to-day stuff.

(Still waiting delivery of an Apple Pencil, slowed down due to this pandemic, but the Adonit Mark seems ok, it does the job for my daughter's coloring work!)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    sennen said:

But compared to the current iPad Air, the 2017 Pro's CPU benchmarks are around the same, the 10.5" Pro's GPU is significantly better, it has more RAM and the TrueTone + ProMotion display.

I bought a current Air around xmas time to give to somebody, and it's a decent tablet, but I still like my 10.5 Pro over it. I'm used to the smooth 120 HZ after using it for years and don't forget about the quad speakers. The Air doesn't have those either.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Whocares2 said:
    Excellent first post. I'll fifth it after @tht.

I use mine several hours a day now, but mostly for text content. Reading, researching, and writing, with a small amount of notation thrown in for fun. I don't see me replacing it any time soon. It works great. I'm more concerned with the quality and features of the OS than I am of the hardware. When it comes time to replace I'll do what I usually do, buy the top of the line model and hang on to it for a few years. When something new comes along the kids will get the old one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    "Internally, there is a big gap between the 2017 iPad Pro and the 2018 iPad Pro."

This was intended to say 2020, not 2018, correct?

"The processor which has gone from the A10X Fusion processor to the A12Z processor."

What about the processor?
    Seems like the predicate is missing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    DAalseth said:
    The 2020 is without a doubt droolworthy. I'd love to get one. But my 2017 is working fine. Sure it's got some 'battle damage' from all the use, the trips, the expeditions, and so on, but it works. I can draw, I can write, it uses the ApplePencil, it does what I need. November 2021 is when I'm looking at updating and FBoFW I'm going to stick with that.
    This is my situation as well. The battery isn't lasting quite as long but like many people, I don't use my iPad for many processor intensive tasks. It's certainly not worth another $1000 to save a couple of extra seconds to exporting PDF. 

I fully agree with @Whocares2 and the others about giving actual practical use comparisons of processor speed rather than just benchmarks. A processor may be 50% faster but if it means it takes 1 second instead of 1.5 seconds then it's really more of an academic improvement than a practical one.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    sethm1 said:
    Are the antennas for the wifi and cellular any better with the 2020? I dont have a wifi 6 router so wonder if the range now is better. And speaking of range, my 2017 not that great with my Verizon service. Most times see 1 or 2 bars.
    Cellular speed is my biggest complaint on my 2017 Pro. It’s ridiculously slow. My iPhone XS blows it out of the water, I didn’t expect it to be as fast as newer hardware, but the difference is very noticeable and makes remote/cellular use while out and about for work a PITA. 
    The new form factor/pencil 2 support seems great, but for me not yet worth the upgrade cost. My 2017 pro is in mint condition and does everything I need it to (for now)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I’d be fine with my 2017 for a couple more years no doubt, but wifie is on iPad 4 and desperately needs an upgrade. So I’ll be pushing this one down the ladder & upgrading to the 2020 with some of my TrumpBucks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    i am andy said:
    Hi, I it possible to see the size difference between 10.5 2017 and 12.9 2020? I‘d also like to hear how the size difference feels in daily tasks. I currently own the 10.5 and am not sure about the upgrade to either 11 or 12.9. Andy
    I think it is a personal preference issue. My wife has the 11 as an upgrade from her 10.5 and she uses the second generation Pencil with a case. She takes it everywhere, all of the time. I have the 2018 12.9 as an upgrade from the original 12.9. No case and no Pencil but I use easels strategically located around the house. I think the larger size is perfect for me and she loves the slightly smaller iPad. So, I think you can decide for yourself between better mobility and larger screen.
    watto_cobra