Apple leaks new "iPhone SE" coming soon in iPhone 8 form factor [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2020
The Apple Store appears to have leaked the official name of Apple's next iPhone, as a listing for an iPhone 8 screen protector was updated on Thursday to reflect compatibility with "iPhone SE."

iPhone SE Belkin

In what looks to be an update pushed out by Apple, the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra screen protector now shows support for iPhone SE. Previously, the accessory noted compatibility with iPhone 8 and iPhone 7, according to a cached version of the webpage.

The change, if legitimate, falls in line with current rumors regarding the release of a more affordable handset that borrows its design from the 2-year-old iPhone 8. Whereas the original iPhone SE featured a 4-inch screen, Apple's iPhone 8 sports a 4.7-inch screen with earpiece, camera and Touch ID cutouts identical to that of iPhone 7.

For now, only the title of Belkin's screen protector has been updated, with purchasing options still limited to iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8 and 8 Plus. Item descriptions should be updated with reference to iPhone SE once the device is announced.

Previously rumored to launch as a so-called "iPhone SE 2" or "iPhone 9," a report earlier today claimed Apple plans to carry over the "iPhone SE" branding and refer the device as a 2020 model. The affordable smartphone could launch as soon as Friday in a trio of color options and storage configurations up to 256GB, the report said, a claim backed up by the updated Apple Store page.

Targeting cost-conscious consumers, the alleged next-generation iPhone SE is expected to pair iPhone 8's recycled chassis with contemporary innards like an A13 Bionic processor and improved communications suite.

Update: Mention of iPhone SE compatibility has been removed, though the page remains active.
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    Nowhere does it imply that the iPhone 7 and 8 screen is the same size as the SE. There is a drop down menu, and you can select a screen protector for the SE, or one that fits the 7 and 8. It doesn’t even imply that SE is the official name of a new model, just that they added a screen protector for an existing model. 
    chasmRayz2016cornchiplkruppOferBeatsStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 27
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    As mentioned earlier if this is case the small form factor is vintage. We will get an: ‘second edition(SE)’ iPhone 7, 8. Hopefully the battery will last longer than the 7 and 8. The proven CPU from the iPhone 11 will probably just do that. Storage will likely be 64GB and 256GB. In Europe I expect a price around €550 and €699 for the so called second edition iPhone 7, 8. Honestly I am sad that Apple does not dare to be different any more*. A small form factor with 4.7 inch screen is technically possible. Instead Apple goes the investors way. Less costs, proven technology and top margin on each sold device especially the 256GB version. 

*A mind forever voyaging through strange seas of thoughts ... alone.
    edited April 2020 caladanianJanNLmike54
  • Reply 3 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    edac2 said:
    Nowhere does it imply that the iPhone 7 and 8 screen is the same size as the SE. There is a drop down menu, and you can select a screen protector for the SE, or one that fits the 7 and 8. It doesn’t even imply that SE is the official name of a new model, just that they added a screen protector for an existing model. 
    No, there's a dropdown where you can select one for the 7/8 or the 7 Plus/8 Plus. 

Not sure why there's any confusion over this still, but it's been fairly clear from all known that this will be like the 8 more or less, and the SE designation is that it's the last remaining model of this form factor. Everything going forward will be the X generation form factor, just as it was before with the original SE and 6 onward.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    It looks like Apple fixed that, for the time being. But the word 'iPhone' proceeds every listing of every phone. On the screen protectors page, ie iPhone 11 / XR etc. Even the original SE was officially 'iPhone SE'. So Apple is keeping the same name for totally different phone? It would be so cool if Tim or Phil said 'Hey, let's mess with their heads and put up a fake selection for the SE / 7 / 8'.

edited April 2020 Hank2.0
  • Reply 5 of 27
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I think some of these leaks are intentional. Especially now while they can’t do the press events. 
    gatorguyfotoformatedac2Oferpscooter63tobian
  • Reply 6 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    genovelle said:
    I think some of these leaks are intentional. Especially now while they can’t do the press events. 
    Me too. It's been claimed by many tech reporters that they have specific knowledge of various levels of Apple leaking intel. This may well just show up on the site like the new MBA and mini did. There probably won't be a bunch of journalists posting reviews having had the phone for a week or less.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 27
    raudawgraudawg Posts: 2member
    Will this phone have the U1 chip?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member
    genovelle said:
    Apple has done this for ehm, forever? That's just part of their rather successful marketing strategy: creating buzz before the actual event and then deliver the event, sometimes going beyond the buzz but sometimes the buzz has gone bezerk and the event becomes a bit disappointing. Creating buzz is a risk. But at the same time buzz could also be a good way to test the water.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple don't do anything by accident. Grow up!! Giving SE name to new iPhone 8 is disrespect to original SE iPhone. Just call it iPhone 9.
    edited April 2020 JWSCbaconstangBeats
  • Reply 10 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    raudawg said:
    Will this phone have the U1 chip?
    My SWAG would be no.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Verizon is also offering up to $550 on trade in of an “iPhone 9” as of today. Included a picture of the offer.
    Beats
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Maybe it will have 5G tech too?  And also VR Bluetooth technology with access to VR cameras from around the world.  The first 3D VR camera will be on top of Mt Everest. 
  • Reply 13 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    edac2 said:
    Did they remove iPhone SE as a dropdown option or was there never an option as fastasleep states? Without a screenshot it seems tough to know for sure, but it is clear there was some "oopsie" as they did remove mention of the SE from the Belkin InvisGlass Ultra page.

Do people here really use screen protectors? I don't even use a case, but at least I can understand that.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 14 of 27
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    edac2 said:
    Please stop relying on facts and applying logic to those facts.  This is an Internet forum.                              
    OferStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 27
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    If Apple really wanted to "double down on security" it would intentionally generate inaccurate leaks. What's the technical term for an intentional false leak? The phrase "Canary Trap" pertains to putting false details in a real leak to identify the leaker, so that's not quite the term I'm looking for.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If Apple really wanted to "double down on security" it would intentionally generate inaccurate leaks. What's the technical term for an intentional false leak? The phrase "Canary Trap" pertains to putting false details in a real leak to identify the leaker, so that's not quite the term I'm looking for.
    I believe Apple has actually done that over the years, especially when Jobs was at the helm. Put out different leaks to targeted employees, then wait for the leak to make its way to the blog sites. Now they know who did the leaking because others got different leaks. 
    Oferpscooter63
  • Reply 17 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I’m wondering if it will use QualComm modems or the substandard Intel modems?   Will it have one or two camera lens?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    k2kw said:
    I’m wondering if it will use QualComm modems or the substandard Intel modems?   Will it have one or two camera lens?
    Wouldn't those be Apple modems now?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The iPhone everyone was waiting for.

/s
  • Reply 20 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    genovelle said:
    I always laugh at these conspiracy theories. Apple doesn't need to leek rumors of products -- they are already the most popular, most eagerly anticipated brand in the business. If they publish a press release or video, the news makes the world. They're already on top, there is no need to burn demand via slow drips.