Apple to release new 13-inch MacBook Pro in May, leaker claims

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple could still be preparing to refresh the 13-inch MacBook Pro in May, a leaker claims, which could get a 14-inch display without dramatically altering the overall physical size.

Apple is thought to be working on its usual refresh of the MacBook Pro lineup, one which could occur in the near future. Following the update to the iPad Pro range, it seems likely that Apple will launch updated MacBook-family products next, but it is suggested there may be a bit more of a wait before the company makes its announcement.

According to leaker Jon Prosser, Apple will be bringing out a refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro "next month," meaning sometime in May. In a follow-up tweet, Prosser goes on to clarify it would be a refresh of the current 13-inch model, but a move to a bigger 14-inch display "is a big possibility."

If everything goes well...

New 13" MacBook Pro (codename J223) coming next month. pic.twitter.com/2LGXy6w9Ya

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

While the tweets could be considered educated guesses based on Apple's usual product cadence, along with incorporating details from other rumor reports, Prosser also makes the claim the new model will have the codename "J223." Prosser has also been making more Twitter-based pronouncements about Apple's product line in recent times, with some level of accuracy, which frames the tweet's details as being genuine.

On March 3, the analyst Ming-Chi Kuo proposed there would be a replacement of the 13-inch MacBook Pro by one sporting a 14.1-inch Mini LED display. In Kuo's note, the analyst doesn't specify when the model would launch, except it would be sometime in 2020, and that product development of Mini LED will "remain unaffected" by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Kuo has also suggested in earlier notes a refreshed MacBook Pro model with the new scissor-switch keyboard mechanism would arrive in the second quarter of 2020, though stopped short of saying what models would be affected. Earlier Kuo predictions for 2020 MacBook Pro upgrades include notes dating back to 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    All Apple needs to do is:  Switch back to old keyboard, go with 10th generation Intel CPU and loses the bezel thickness.  All are very easy to do since it up to the supplier to make the changes.  Apple does nothing!  LOL!
    pujones1
  • Reply 2 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Now we talking. 14" Macbook Pro with magic keyboard and whatever internal update Apple decides will be another great upgrade to Macbook laptop family after 16" MBP,2020 MBA. If this is true than I wish 2020 MBA came after this rumored 14.1 MBP, with the mini LED and 14.1 screen spec but price would not be under $1000 with base 256GB SSD. Probably next year. Apple knows what it is doing.
    edited April 2020 seanj
  • Reply 3 of 36
    prismaticsprismatics Posts: 164member
    With some other irrelevant overheating intel processor and shit graphics right
    edited April 2020 merefield
  • Reply 4 of 36
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    More waiting for the 14" I guess. 

Maybe the 13" is for the cheaper two TB3 port models, and the 14" is still coming? Or maybe it just waits all the way to mini LED at the end of the year. 
  • Reply 5 of 36
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    I’m ready to upgrade from my 2015 13” to mini led, faster processor and much better graphics. Bring it own. I haven’t watched Front Page Tech this morning. I’d better hop on over there. Toilet Squad rules!!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    This is what I was waiting for. For me 16" MacBook Pro was too big. 12" MacBook was light, but the keyboard really sucks. 13" MacBook Air is under powered. 13"/14" MacBook Pro with 16 GB of memory and at least 512 GB SSD is my preferred configuration.
    chemengin1pujones1
  • Reply 7 of 36
    prismaticsprismatics Posts: 164member
    All Apple needs to do is:  Switch back to old keyboard, go with 10th generation Intel CPU and loses the bezel thickness.  All are very easy to do since it up to the supplier to make the changes.  Apple does nothing!  LOL!
    There is no difference between 10th gen and 7th gen. These are stickers meant to mislead the unenlightened into thinking Intel has any value left for their product
    edited April 2020 randominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I think we'll be seeing a new HomePod too based on clues here and there.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    32GB option or bust!
    commentzilla
  • Reply 10 of 36
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    But will the 14-inch screen have a notch?
    bluefire1
  • Reply 11 of 36
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    There is no difference between 10th gen and 7th gen. These are stickers meant to mislead the unenlightened into thinking Intel has any value left for their product
    Speed tests say otherwise.
    vannygee
  • Reply 12 of 36
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    gatorguy said:
    I think we'll be seeing a new HomePod too based on clues here and there.

Would love to see a second, smaller device added to the lineup too.
    Not only because it'd be less expensive, just something with a smaller footprint for some secondary locations.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Wut? They've been rolling out new models, which include a new keyboard design (that is neither the butterfly, nor the exact same scissor keyboard; it's a new design that uses scissor mechanisms)
    edited April 2020 randominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Looking forward to this, I need to upgrade my MacBook and this could be a good time to do it :)
  • Reply 15 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    14" with discrete graphics option maybe? I doubt it, but hey...
    pujones1
  • Reply 16 of 36
    There was a recent review in the (paywalled) WSJ recently of the new MacBook Air.  The headline suggested that there was a fatal flaw with the FaceTime camera.  Anyone know what that's about?  Is it a legitimate concern or click bait?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    I’m sure Apple and customers will be happy to see the last butterfly keyboard brought up to scissor keyboard. I have a 2016 12” Macbook and have not had a problem with my keyboard. Maybe luck? I have about another year of eligibility for a replacement if it goes kaput.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    spheric said:
    14" with discrete graphics option maybe? I doubt it, but hey...
    Yeah, the smaller enclosure makes getting rid of all the excess heat a problem, not to mention finding somewhere to squeeze it in. Otherwise, I agree, a quad or six core 14" with discrete (and discreet) graphics would be brilliant.

Even without discrete graphics, I'm thinking of going with the 13/14" next time just for the convenience of the size. My 15" is just a bit too bulky, and a bit too heavy. Not as bulky heavy as my 13" black MacBook used to be, but a bit less weight would be nice. Especially now they're claiming they enforce carry-on weight limits. Not that I expect to be flying anywhere in the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    I have a 2018 MBA, 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage and would like to upgrade to a similarly configured new 14 inch MBP with brighter MiniLED display, faster quad core or better processor, WiFi 6, and better graphics. The keyboard is not a motivator for me, it has been flawless. I have, however, read that the new magic keyboard is better than past scissor key and butterfly key keyboards, so it might be an improvement. I have considered the 16inch, but it is a bit too heavy for my use case.

• Reply 20 of 36
    ClarusClarus Posts: 48member
    With some other irrelevant overheating intel processor and shit graphics right
    Although the last 15-inch MacBook Pros were reviled for a cooling system that could not handle the CPU, and poor graphics value, the fact that you are still saying this means you are out of touch. The reviews of the 16-inch MacBook Pro have praised it for fixing the thermals so that the same CPU performs better at a lower temperature. And the other big fix Apple was praised for in the new 16-inch was including, in the base price, a GPU more powerful than you used to get in the 15-inch upgrade model.

Aha, the same poster makes another technically incorrect statement!

There is a very very fundamental difference between the 10th and 7th gen Intel CPUs, and that critical difference affected the 13-inch MacBook Pros to a monumental, it would even be fair to say historical, degree.

Up through the 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro with the 7th generation CPU, the 13-inch CPU was dual core. It was one reason I always had to get the 15-inch, just for the quad core multicore performance for photo and video editing.

With the 8th generation, for the first time in history, it was finally possible to spec a quad core i5, in the 2018 13" MacBook Pro. I downsized to the 13" and have been very happy with it.

I will say that you are correct that Intel has hardly improved their CPUs in general. Their CPU designs are so far behind AMD and Apple it's pathetic. But the factual inaccuracies in your posts would lead many to believe that you are basically just trolling here.
    spheric