NYC schools pull the plug on Zoom following FBI warning

Posted:
in General Discussion
Despite efforts to ramp up security measures, video conferencing software provider Zoom is finding itself banned from education departments and major corporations like SpaceX.

NYC schools pull the plug on Zoom following FBI warning

New York City's Department of Education has banned teachers from using the popular video conferencing tool, Zoom, to teach students remotely during the COVID-19 outbreak. Originally, teachers preferred using the platform as its minimal setup and simple design means both teachers and students have fewer issues using it compared to other conferencing platforms.

However, with the rise in "zoombombing" incidents, educators are beginning to worry for the safety of teachers and students alike.

"Zoombombing" occurs when a bad actor takes control of a Zoom conference call. Many times, the hijacker will remain silent and merely observe the calls. Other times, they use it as a platform to harass viewers, posting shocking images and using hate speech. According to Business Insider, incidents were reported to have happened in online classes, corporate gatherings, and even a virtual Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

The FBI issued multiple public warnings about the Zoombombing. It ultimately made a public statement on their website, about using the software.

#FBI warns of Teleconferencing and Online Classroom Hijacking during #COVID19 pandemic. Find out how to report and protect against teleconference hijacking threats here: https://t.co/jmMxyZZqMv pic.twitter.com/Y3h9bVZG30

-- FBI Boston (@FBIBoston)

Schools aren't the only ones banning Zoom, either. On March 28, Elon Musk's SpaceX banned the program, instructing employees to use email, text, or phone calls as alternative methods for communication. Additionally, the Australian Ministry of Defense has also banned any use of the software.

Zoom announced on April 2 that they would be entering a 90-day development freeze as it sought to address privacy concerns. They plan on bolstering their security features through a variety of means, including white-box penetration tests and expanding current bug-testing procedures.

Zoom will begin meeting with third-party experts, as well as Zoom users, to "understand and ensure the security of all of our new consumer use cases." The company plans on preparing a transparency report to handle requests for data, records, and content. The company will also host a weekly webinar to provide security updates to Zoom users.

The most recent flurry of complaints started when it was discovered that the company was sending user data to Facebook without their permission. Zoom notified Facebook when the iOS app was opened, what device a user was using, what carrier they're on, and what city and time zone they're connecting from. The data also included a unique advertiser tag, connected to a user's device, that companies use to target advertisements.

Zoom had publicly told news outlets that the information had been anonymized, but understood why users were upset. The company removed the app's ability to send data to Facebook in an update pushed out on March 27.

Shortly after, security experts found that Zoom was able to install itself on Macs by working around Apple's security features. It was concurrently discovered that the company had claimed the service offered end-to-end encryption but did not possess those features.

On April 1, it was discovered that a flaw in Zoom's software allows a local user or piece of malware to piggyback on Zoom's camera and microphone permissions. An attacker can inject malicious code into Zoom's process space and "inherit" camera and microphone permissions, allowing them to hijack them without a user's knowledge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    What an absolute embarrassment for Zoom.  They literally were in a very coveted position in the video conferencing market and screwed it up royally.  The CEO should be fired right now.  There is absolutely no excuse to have those kind of security issues, especially when the company has been in business for as long as it has been.  

They got comfortable and lazy.  No other way to say it.  Shame on them, shame on the CEO.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I’ve been trying to delete my account since last Thursday and couldn’t even log in from the web... Error 502 no matter what I do...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Life is too short for terrible software.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    It’s worse than zoombombing. It’s been revealed that they’re using weak encryption, that videos are exposed with guessable file names to anyone, and that keys are issued via servers in China. I would consider anything streamed thru it to be compromised. 

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2020/04/04/schneier-zoom

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2020/04/03/zoom-china

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2020/04/03/zoom-recorded-videos

pujones1cgWerkschasmAndy.Hardwakewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I know Facetime isn't cross-platform but Apple needs to take some of their market/mindshare.
    gilly33pujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    sflocal said:
    What an absolute embarrassment for Zoom.  They literally were in a very coveted position in the video conferencing market and screwed it up royally.  The CEO should be fired right now.  There is absolutely no excuse to have those kind of security issues, especially when the company has been in business for as long as it has been.  

They got comfortable and lazy.  No other way to say it.  Shame on them, shame on the CEO.
    I'm not so sure whether "firing the CEO" is really the answer, especially in this case. Yeah, some people totally get off by firing people (hmmm...) but in many cases it's simply a power play by whomever is doing the "firing" and not really the best way to solve the problem for the majority of affected stakeholders. First of all, most of these CEOs have golden parachutes and are going to walk away with enough cash to wash their hands of the temporary "shame" from their supposed misdeeds, who they'll quickly blame on their underlings anyway. I'm of the opinion that in many cases it's far more effective to force the CEO to take personal responsibility for making things right and not accepting any excuses or allowing any assignment of blame beyond the point person, i.e., the CEO. Yeah, there are absolutely cases where firing someone is the best course of action and damage control, but you should always ask yourself whether you're firing someone because it makes you feel like a big man and whether the firing actually speeds up the path to fixing the problem.

In this case, it sounds like the company is going to take active measures to clean up their security act, even though it is retroactive and they've been grossly negligent up to this point. Truth be told, they are in the presense of many other companies and ISVs who have committed similar and worse offenses, and many others who haven't yet been outed because their solutions haven't been stressed or scrutinized. This is not an excuse, but it is a warning to others. If you're a software company you'd better heed this lesson because you may be the next one brought under the hammer of shame. 

What I find equally disturbing here are the numerous high profile companies and agencies, like Tesla and the Australian Ministry of Defense, who didn't independently verify that a tool that they were relying on for their day to day business operations was actually trustworthy. How many times can we read about yet another software product or service failing miserably before we come to the realization that self-certification or assertions of software quality by the software's maker is simply not to be trusted? There are plenty of examples of software quality standards in (FDA, TUV, and others) regulated industries, safety systems, etc., that could be applied to mission critical and line of business commercial software. Yes, it drives the software costs up. But what's the alternative - buying cheap alternatives that provide low/no guarantees and then complaining that they didn't live up to the meaningless promises from the vendor? I guess you can always fire the CEO to make yourself feel better, but if the damage has already been done that's hollow consolation.
    StrangeDaysAndy.Hardwakechasm
  • Reply 7 of 23
    sflocal said:
    What an absolute embarrassment for Zoom....
    More than an embarrassment, it's a a financial disaster. There are other conferencing platforms out there, including Apple's FaceTime. Zoom will immediately lose market share, and then continue to slide into oblivion. Too bad, it is very convenient and easy to use.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I've been using Zoom and up to now I've luckily not had any issues, but this is making me scared to use it now. I may just find another way to be on the safe side.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    If you can, refrain from using ANY software developed by the mainland
    pujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Beats said:
    I know Facetime isn't cross-platform but Apple needs to take some of their market/mindshare.
    Different use cases. FaceTime doesn't provide the vast majority of functionality that companies use - screen sharing, breakout rooms, hundreds of participants, the ability to mute everyone or individuals, file transfers, public/private chat, polling, and feedback. I moved from Webex with my previous employer to Zoom at my current employer, and much prefer Zoom. Am I concerned about privacy issues? Not particularly. Nobody has tried to zoom bomb us yet, but we can always password protect our meetings and/or kick out anyone we don't want, and I require attendees to be registered users which would certainly cut back on the number of Zoom-bombing incidents.

Yes, Zoom has screwed up. But I also think a lot of what's been reported is blown out of proportion.
    Beats
  • Reply 11 of 23
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Would love an article on how to completely purge this software from a Mac. I dragged to trash but suspect lingering files that this front for a Chinese spyware app has installed on my computer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Fatman said:
    Would love an article on how to completely purge this software from a Mac. I dragged to trash but suspect lingering files that this front for a Chinese spyware app has installed on my computer.
    Dragging an app to the trash is not a good way to uninstall non-App Store apps. I’d recommend Clean My Mac X, it has an uninstaller feature that removes all associated files/binaries. It’s actually good software. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    No complaints are permitted as it is free, but as everyone should know by now that nothing is free.
    pujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Okay good start, banning Zoom for privacy problems. But how about Chromebooks? 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    the monk said:
    Okay good start, banning Zoom for privacy problems. But how about Chromebooks? 
    In Schools? If there's a privacy problem then ban 'em. That they aren't banned speaks for itself doesn't it? You think they haven't been picked apart in detail by multiple security researchers, and regularly? If there was an issue you'd know. 
    edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    Different use cases. FaceTime doesn't provide the vast majority of functionality that companies use - screen sharing, breakout rooms, hundreds of participants, the ability to mute everyone or individuals, file transfers, public/private chat, polling, and feedback. I moved from Webex with my previous employer to Zoom at my current employer, and much prefer Zoom. Am I concerned about privacy issues? Not particularly. Nobody has tried to zoom bomb us yet, but we can always password protect our meetings and/or kick out anyone we don't want, and I require attendees to be registered users which would certainly cut back on the number of Zoom-bombing incidents.

Yes, Zoom has screwed up. But I also think a lot of what's been reported is blown out of proportion.

This is my point. Apple has the greatest opportunity to expand Facetime now.
    pujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    sflocal said:

It's not a bug, it's a feature. CCP 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    What seems like decades ago (maybe it was), we in the CompSci world were discussing requiring licensing of computer programmers to ensure competence. It didn’t get very far.

There is definitely a downside to hackers, even in the nicest sense. 

There are clearly critical skills and knowledge that is required in many areas touched by computers. Enforced licensing and forced contractual guarantees seems the way to go to ensure security. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    dewme said:
    ... In this case, it sounds like the company is going to take active measures to clean up their security act, even though it is retroactive and they've been grossly negligent up to this point. ...
    Hopefully they are fixing the issues. I think the more important question is whether this is a switch in business models, or as you say, grossly negligent.

It might be that they were intending on making their money selling their customers out, and now due to their newfound success, they think they have other options?

djames4242 said:
    Yeah, but the more that is coming out, makes it difficult to believe some of it wasn't purposeful. If that is the case, it hasn't been blow out enough.

jimh2 said:
    No complaints are permitted as it is free, but as everyone should know by now that nothing is free.
    Well, it isn't free, but a paid service with a (unusually generous) free tier. Skype is free as well. A lot of this kind of software is.
    That doesn't mean complaints aren't permitted, though.
    Andy.Hardwakewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    FaceTime was originally going to be P2P and have an open protocol - meaning Android and Windows apps could exist. But a lawsuit against Apple resulted in Apple binning the idea. Now it uses Apple's servers as a relay. Maybe the lawsuit was a NSA shell company to make monitoring comms easier...
    watto_cobra