the new need of the internet

Posted:
in General Discussion

Considering what is happening, I would like to suggest a revolutionary communications policy going forward. It is that all of the Internet companies put together a plan to make 1 gigabit connections available to all residences and businesses--especially small business ASAP.

It means meeting the needs that will occur again, in case we have a recurrence of this or an associated virus. And resources must be provided that cover all of the USA, so that no community or geographical area is left behind.

Recognizing the Problem

The internet is struggling because the backbone, where all the signals go and come from, is having trouble keeping up with the traffic being produced by all of the streaming. Among the key issues:

•    People connecting with their work colleagues thru all the remote servers.

•    People who are not only trying to complete their regular coursework, but those part of a break-out market. Online classes more than doubled since the start of the 21st-century. Now even more are about to explode.

•    Expanding entertainment needs (e.g., enhanced use of Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Apple+ etc.) to smooth isolation, keep emotions positive.

•    Keeping in touch with families/friends through everything from iPads and computers to mobile phones.

Moving Forward

The ability for these and other online breakouts, means there must be a multi-level approach:

•    Establishing the minimum connection speed, 1Gb, including the last 100 feet, to be done within the next 18-24 months.

•    Raise the speed to 10 gigabit within the following 24-36 months.

•    Even better would be aim for 40 gigabit, if the completed protocols can be put into place in the following 60-72 months.

Also included in the plan should be 5G wireless. It’s critical to remember that once the signal goes from one’s iPhone to the tower, it goes on to the internet backbone, from there to the transmitting tower and finally to the receiving phone.

Seeing the Future

All of this pandemic-generated movement would be not only helping all our population during a disaster, but simply bringing the US’ internet communications into the 21st Century! Right now much of it is sadly barely into the late 20th century. This would also put us into a better competitive position via the rest of the world.

Who is Richard Meyeroff?

This Army vet (originally in the medical corps) is a retired computer consultant of 25 years. My latest degree is in Network Security.

Before 9/11 I was one of the leading Mac computer consultants in NYC and also beyond. I was part of the select group that worked with Apple to start: ASPN (Apple Solution Professional Network)the became the ACN (Apple Consultants Network).

I would be glad to lend my expertise in this matter, expanding on these and other tech-oriented issues. If you or others interested in promoting this with me, I can be reached at [email protected] or on this Forum