Australia's coronavirus tracking app not working properly on iPhones

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Australian government has admitted that its Covidsafe app doesn't work properly on the iPhone because it isn't using Apple's Exposure Notification frameworks, and an update to do so is planned.

The Australian Covidsafe contract tracing app, developed by a company called the Digital Transformation Agency for the Australian Department of Health, has been downloaded by more than 5.1 million Australians. It aims to help slow the transmission of COVID-19 by allowing for Bluetooth-based contact tracing. The app will also allow health officials to see where new outbreaks are happening.

The Australian government now says the app is less effective when run in the background or while an iPhone's screen is locked, according to The Guardian. The app is also less effective on older versions of the iPhone, mostly because of older Bluetooth hardware.

"What we can say is the quality of the Bluetooth connectivity for phones that have the app installed running in the foreground is very good," Randal Brugeaud, the head of Digital Transformation Agency, told the Senate committee overseeing the COVID-19 response. "And it progressively deteriorates and the quality of the connection is not as good as you get to a point where the phone is locked in the app is running in the background."

The Android version of the app appears to be working as intended at present.

The iPhone app received an update on Wednesday to help resolve existing issues, but there is more work to do. The developers are planning to further integrate the Google-Apple framework, which they hope will resolve existing issues once and for all.

Australia also plans to allow the government to hold contact data, rather than purging it shortly after it is acquired, to protect more vulnerable members of society. Rather than getting a notification through the app, Australia will alert users with messages from trained professionals.

The data will be held on Amazon Web Service servers in Australia, provided the user gives consent to share it. By default, the data is only held for 14 days -- the widely accepted time frame that someone is still capable of passing the virus to someone else.

Some have raised concerns, as Amazon is an American company, and are worried that the data could be handed over to the U.S. government under the Cloud Act. Australian government officials could not give a 100% guarantee that U.S. law officials would not access the data, but thought it would be "inconceivable that the situation would happen."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow. 

That read all kinds of wrong. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    "inconceivable that the situation would happen." I guarantee the current US government administration, Republicans and Democrats, would push to get their grimy hands on this data. Australia is being very naive about the entire process.
    caladanianentropyslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I wonder where this is leading to. As I understand it installing these tracking apps are voluntary at the moment. However, I can see governments using them as a bludgeon for compliance. If a certain threshold of installations is not met in designated areas then those areas will remain locked down until enough people have installed the app. It will a sort of social scoring system like China. People in, let’s say, a conservative county in Oklahoma are not installing the app to the satisfaction of the government so that county will be punished by more restrictive mandates. Social pressure will mount to force people to install the app so ‘everybody’ is ‘protected'. 

I don’t buy the privacy and security promises made by the government. These apps will be used to track and monitor the whereabouts of individuals. The temptation is too great for the government to resist. You are headed to your local Home Depot when your phone issues a warning that you are not allowed to enter the store because of your status (age, health, lack of antibodies, number of untested people already in the store, etc.) Am I being paranoid? Probably not when you consider the government’s history of obfuscation and denials.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    PetrolDavePetrolDave Posts: 57member
    The data will be held on Amazon Web Service servers
    They don’t have a great record of data security...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Leaving asude the cloud service aspects
    Australia also plans to allow the government to hold contact data, rather than purging it shortly after it is acquired, to protect more vulnerable members of society. Rather than getting a notification through the app, Australia will alert users with messages from trained professionals.
    this sort of scope creep is why you would have to be stupid to think this a good idea. It isn’t even up and running properly and it’s use us already undergoing a minor extension. It is what government naturally wants to do, and must always be prevented from having the means.  
    Next it will be used to track people with other diseases, say HIV. Then what about keeping an eye on parolees to see who they are associating with? That sounds reasonable, eh? Then what about registered sexual deviants? Catholic priests? Rotarians? Those that still attend the Uniting Church?

I won’t be downloading the app.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    uroshnoruroshnor Posts: 99member
    The Digital Transformation Agency isn't a company. Its part of the government - specifically the Department of Finance, and has overall responsibility for the Commonwealth government's strategic procurement and use of technology, including things like government-to-citizen Apps and services.

They subcontracted a local developer to build at least one of the Apps for DTA (and the figure quoted is way too high for just the DTA's Coronavirus App, which would have been 1-2 people over a weekend at best). The COVIDSafe app is more complex than that, but 1.85 M seems way too high for just front end development of 2 simple apps, so there must be more to it than that.

https://www.crn.com.au/news/canberras-delv-awarded-185-million-for-developing-covid-19-app-546593

Delv are a small-ish solution integrator who do things like manage MDMs and do development work for agencies. They aren't exclusively Apple, but have been doing stuff pretty well on Apple platforms for a long time.

I'd also note the holding of contact data was covered in detail here:

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covidsafe-application-privacy-impact-assessment

And there's fairly harsh legislation about discrimination associated with and unauthorised use of the App's data that has been put before parliament. 

I'm not exactly a superfan of the current government, but given how governments work, they've done a pretty good job here under time pressure, and the efforts to do the right kind of things really appear to be there (they are just in tension with the "be seen to be doing something" and "hey we are government so we'll just do things the hard way" factors)
    kitatitiqatedo
  • Reply 7 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    I wonder where this is leading to. As I understand it installing these tracking apps are voluntary at the moment. However, I can see governments using them as a bludgeon for compliance. If a certain threshold of installations is not met in designated areas then those areas will remain locked down until enough people have installed the app. It will a sort of social scoring system like China. People in, let’s say, a conservative county in Oklahoma are not installing the app to the satisfaction of the government so that county will be punished by more restrictive mandates. Social pressure will mount to force people to install the app so ‘everybody’ is ‘protected'.
    The US government has little to no control over when Apple and Google choose to sunset the program.  
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    lkrupp said:

I don’t buy the privacy and security promises made by the government. These apps will be used to track and monitor the whereabouts of individuals. The temptation is too great for the government to resist. You are headed to your local Home Depot when your phone issues a warning that you are not allowed to enter the store because of your status (age, health, lack of antibodies, number of untested people already in the store, etc.) Am I being paranoid? Probably not when you consider the government’s history of obfuscation and denials.
    The slippery slope fallacy can be applied to any situation. Why not go full tinfoil and bring in the Mark of the Beast trope as well?
    iqatedo