Eric Schmidt ends 19-year tenure at Google

Posted:
in General Discussion
Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt is no longer working with the company, ceasing to be an advisor to the search giant in February 20 months after leaving Alphabet's board of directors.

Eric Schmidt (right) with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 2007
Eric Schmidt (right) with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 2007

A long-time member of Google's executive team, Schmidt has been with the company for 19 years, but took gradual steps back over the later years of his tenure. According to a report, Schmidt has severed ties with Google completely, departing from his role as a technical advisor in February.

The quiet exit from Google, as reported by CNET, marks the final chapter of Schmidt's tenure as the "adult supervision" for the search company that would turn into Alphabet. After being chief executive officer for Google from 2001 until 2011, Schmidt became executive chairman of Alphabet, but announced an intention to transition to a "technical advisor" role in December 2017, while still maintaining a board seat.

In April 2019, Schmidt declined to seek re-election to the Alphabet board of directors, and officially exited the board in June that year, but stayed with the company in his advisory role. Eight months later, he vacated that final advisory position.

It is unclear exactly why Schmidt has left Google completely, as neither Google nor representatives of Schmidt wished to comment on the matter.

It is possible that Schmidt's ties to Google were interfering with his work in other roles, including initiatives for the US military such as chairing the Defense Innovation Board and the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence. He was also recently named as the chair of a commission for updating the state of New York's technological infrastructure and policies, both during and after the coronavirus pandemic.

In these roles, critics have been quick to suggest his connections to Google may influence his decisions. On the military side, there is the worry Schmidt may enrich Google's position and finances, while the public sector role also raises concerns over Google's privacy track record.

Despite leaving Google, Schmidt is still financially linked to the search company, as he owns approximately $5.3 billion in stock for the firm. After his exit, he is no longer taking his symbolic $1 salary from the company.
SydN

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Schmidt also served on Apple’s board for some period of time. There were always suspicions that he might pass on confidential information to Google. Today, though, Apple, Google, Microsoft seem to be functioning frenemies. 
    avon b7pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He won’t be missed.
    hammeroftruthrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    He’ll forever be remembered for the creepy line
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    Schmidt also served on Apple’s board for some period of time. There were always suspicions that he might pass on confidential information to Google. Today, though, Apple, Google, Microsoft seem to be functioning frenemies. 

They pretty much always were -- shifting between partnerships and competitors.
    It was the mark of wise management that focused on pragmatic, customer focused directions -- always asking "What do we need in order to to move up to the next level?"  without being encumbered by hubris or ideology.

The question is:  Will existing management retain that same driving spirit or sink in the swamp of hubris and ideology?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Oh? Big loss there! What a giant nut job!
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    He would make a nice scummy villain in a Star Wars story. 
    lkrupprazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    That would be a disgrace to the Star Wars franchise
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    He’s still around!?

Who’da thunk....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    The Dick Cheney of IT, not so much a brilliant man as a shrewd opportunist. We'll just have to wait to find out what sort of disaster he concocts with the military.
    edited May 2020 dysamoriamichelb76rossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Cool. Now he can go to jail. 
    yojimbo007watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    lkrupp said:
    With the latter two functioning on the former’s designs. Kind of like the justice system forcing a live-in burglar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Eric Schmidt infamously predicted in Dec 2011 that developers would soon (in six months) favor Android over iOS because they go where the market share is.

He now leaves the company without ever having his prediction come true.
    lolliverrossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Cool. Now he can go to jail. 
    These people never ever do.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    That would be a disgrace to the Star Wars franchise
    Could it get worse than it is?

hammeroftruthbestkeptsecretrossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:

Apple sued and Jobs told Isaacson in a profanity-filled rant that Google’s actions amounted to “grand theft."

Jobs said, “I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.” At a cafe in Palo Alto, Calif., (where the two men were photographed), Jobs told Schmidt he was not interested in settling the lawsuit.

Beatsrossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    lkrupp said:

Apple sued and Jobs told Isaacson in a profanity-filled rant that Google’s actions amounted to “grand theft."

Jobs said, “I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.” At a cafe in Palo Alto, Calif., (where the two men were photographed), Jobs told Schmidt he was not interested in settling the lawsuit.

What lawsuit are you referring to? Apple never sued Google so maybe you're referring to Apple suing Samsung? It wasn't anything to do with multitouch if so which is what Jobs was so angry about.

Had Jobs sued Palm over multitouch, which is where the tiff started (Palm even challenged him to do it) the whole disagreement with Google might have gone differently. As it was Google had little marketplace choice but to enable it (it was already built in) with Palm doing so months earlier. It was that or be left behind. 
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 17 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    lkrupp said:

What lawsuit are you referring to? Apple never sued Google so maybe you're referring to Apple suing Samsung? It wasn't anything to do with multitouch if so which is what Jobs was so angry about.

Had Jobs sued Palm over multitouch, which is where the tiff started (Palm even challenged him to do it) the whole disagreement with Google might have gone differently. As it was Google had little marketplace choice but to enable it (it was already built in) with Palm doing so months earlier. It was that or be left behind. 
    Going on memory from 2011 I believe Apple sued manufacturers of phones running Android, I'd have to DuckDuckGo that subject to find out details.  I was more focussed on the part of the quote referring to Steve's justified fury at Schmidt given this post is about Schmidt.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    lkrupp said:

Going on memory from 2011 I believe Apple sued manufacturers of phones running Android, I'd have to DuckDuckGo that subject to find out details.  I was more focussed on the part of the quote referring to Steve's justified fury at Schmidt given this post is about Schmidt.
    As I recall the story, Google had designed in multitouch almost from the beginning (2006 or 2007?) but Mr. Jobs had asked that it be disabled in the shipping version and out of respect Google agreed. It was only after Palm made it a shipping feature and Apple failed to sue them over it that Google felt compelled to enable it as well. I believe that's what the Jobs/Schmidt meeting was about, Google not continuing to honor its understanding with Apple.  To be honest I totally get it too. He had reason to be angry. Apple was betting the farm on the iPhone, and Jobs and Brin and Page were all friends with an informal agreement.

So Palm invited Apple to sue them over multitouch, in fact essentially telling Jobs put up or shut up, but with Apple choosing not to do so it put Google in an untenable position: Piss off Jobs or risk Android failing as a competitive OS, hand-delivering a big market advantage to Palm. And Microsoft. And HTC which was Windows Phone at the time.  

IMHO Google made the same choice Apple would have if the situation was reversed. Just do it and let the chips fall. Obviously Schmidt meeting Jobs to discuss it over coffee was a waste of time as Apple's CEO was accustomed to finding a way to get what he wanted and this time he didn't.  No surprise he was mad as hell. 
    edited May 2020 ctt_zh
  • Reply 19 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    lkrupp said:

As I recall the story, Google had designed in multitouch almost from the beginning (2006 or 2007?) but Mr. Jobs had asked that it be disabled in the shipping version and out of respect Google agreed. It was only after Palm made it a shipping feature and Apple failed to sue them over it that Google felt compelled to enable it as well. I believe that's what the Jobs/Schmidt meeting was about, Google not continuing to honor its understanding with Apple.  To be honest I totally get it too. He had reason to be angry. Apple was betting the farm on the iPhone, and Jobs and Brin and Page were all friends with an informal agreement.

So Palm invited Apple to sue them over multitouch, in fact essentially telling Jobs put up or shut up, but with Apple choosing not to do so it put Google in an untenable position: Piss off Jobs or risk Android failing as a competitive OS, hand-delivering a big market advantage to Palm. 

IMHO Google made the same choice Apple would have if the situation was reversed. Just do it and let the chips fall. Obviously Schmidt meeting Jobs to discuss it over coffee was a waste of time as Apple's CEO was accustomed to finding a way to get what he wanted and this time he didn't.  No surprise he was mad as hell. 
    The pro-Google perspective you bring is always entertaining.
    BeatsSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    lkrupp said:

So Palm invited Apple to sue them over multitouch, in fact essentially telling Jobs put up or shut up, but with Apple choosing not to do so it put Google in an untenable position: Piss off Jobs or risk Android failing as a competitive OS, hand-delivering a big market advantage to Palm. 

The pro-Google perspective you bring is always entertaining.
    LOL :)

EDIT: this pretty much validates what I wrote. 
    https://techcrunch.com/2010/02/02/apple-google-multi-touch-android/
    edited May 2020 ctt_zh