Apple Card data export options now include Quicken and QuickBooks file formats

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
In an unannounced iOS 13.5 feature addition, Apple's Wallet app can now export Apple Card transaction data in Quicken and QuickBooks file formats.

Apple Card Export
Source: Kyle Seth Gray via Twitter

The new feature, spotted by Kyle Seth Gray, allows Apple Card users to export monthly statement data in a format ingestible by popular Intuit financial tools Quicken and QuickBooks.

Apple is slowly building out Apple Card's software backend following what partner Goldman Sachs in 2019 called the "most successful credit card launch ever."

In January, Apple Card data transportability was goosed with support for CSV exports. Compatibility with the OFX file format followed in February.

While Intuit products, including Quicken, can technically read OFX files, native Quicken Financial Exchange (QFX) and QuickBooks (QBO) exports can streamline data offloading and reduce formatting errors.

To offload transactional data, users must select Apple Card in the Wallet app and navigate to Card Balance. From there, choose a monthly statement, tap on Export Transactions and select a file format. The resulting file can be shared via Share Sheets.
mtrivisoPapaArt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    prbsparxprbsparx Posts: 1member
    Quicken is not owned by Intuit. It split off a few years ago. https://www.quicken.com/about-us
    GeorgeBMacingeniouswatto_cobraPapaArt
  • Reply 2 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Alright!   Cool!   I just tried it with my April statement and it worked perfectly.

Now I can start using the Apple Card as a main card instead of limiting it to Apple transactions only -- because reconciling manually was just too cumbersome without a .QFX extract.   And, since virtually every penny I spend is via ApplePay,  that will increase my cash back from 1.5% on my Chase card to 2% on my AppleCard.

So now, my job is to figure out how best to get the extract from my iPhone into Quicken on my financial computer.
    Right now I'm thinking the best way is to:
    1)  Save the extract under Documents on iCloudDrive.
    2)  Sign into iCloud drive on my financial computer
    3)  Open the file using Quicken.

I'll see how that works in practice when I get my May statement in about 4 more days.

edited May 2020 mtrivisowatto_cobraPapaArt
  • Reply 3 of 20
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Alright!   Cool!   I just tried it with my April statement and it worked perfectly.

Now I can start using the Apple Card as a main card instead of limiting it to Apple transactions only -- because reconciling manually was just too cumbersome without a .QFX extract.   And, since virtually every penny I spend is via ApplePay,  that will increase my cash back from 1.5% on my Chase card to 2% on my AppleCard.

So now, my job is to figure out how best to get the extract from my iPhone into Quicken on my financial computer.
    Right now I'm thinking the best way is to:
    1)  Save the extract under Documents on iCloudDrive.
    2)  Sign into iCloud drive on my financial computer
    3)  Open the file using Quicken.

I'll see how that works in practice when I get my May statement in about 4 more days.

You can test with a previous month's statement if you want to test it out sooner.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraPapaArt
  • Reply 4 of 20
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 79member
    Hallelujah!!  

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and this one of the annoying things about the Apple Card.   

Now, we just need Quicken to make their Mac version as good and as identical to the Windows version as possible... because Quicken for Mac is awful.  (I run Parallels just for Quicken for Windows.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mtrivisomtriviso Posts: 21member
    A love the way the Apple Card works inside the wallet app. I wish other the cards provided all the information that way Apple does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and this one of the annoying things about the Apple Card.   

Now, we just need Quicken to make their Mac version as good and as identical to the Windows version as possible... because Quicken for Mac is awful.  (I run Parallels just for Quicken for Windows.)
    I guess you haven’t actually looked at Quicken for Mac in the last couple of years. It’s nothing like it was when Intuit owned it. I’m an avid Quicken user and I find it to be very competent at managing my financials, including investment portfolios, and downloading bank and credit card transactions. Reports have improved drastically. Other Mac version users say it is almost on a par with the Windows version now. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I think you’re way off in you declaration that it is ‘awful’. It’s not.
    edited May 2020 ingeniouswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Users on the Apple Discussion Forums are still ranting about the Apple Card not supporting direct downloads of transactions into Quicken “like every other credit card”. that would be up to Goldman Sachs I suppose.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

I guess you haven’t actually looked at Quicken for Mac in the last couple of years. It’s nothing like it was when Intuit owned it. I’m an avid Quicken user and I find it to be very competent at managing my financials, including investment portfolios, and downloading bank and credit card transactions. Reports have improved drastically. Other Mac version users say it is almost on a par with the Windows version now. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I think you’re way off in you declaration that it is ‘awful’. It’s not.
    lkrupp said:
    Users on the Apple Discussion Forums are still ranting about the Apple Card not supporting direct downloads of transactions into Quicken “like every other credit card”. that would be up to Goldman Sachs I suppose.
    Quicken for Mac is definitely much improved; my main complaint with it was there was no way to simply run it on more than one computer. I have an iMac and a MBP like to be able to use either machine. Every other program I’ve used will let you store your data on iCloud or Dropbox. Not so with quicken.

As far as direct downloads goes, that’s still a valid complaint. Having QFX exports is a huge improvement, but having to go to your phone, download and save the file, then go back to your computer, find the file and import it is still a pretty kludgy workflow. That seems like it would be GS and not Apple, so hopefully they will remedy it soon.
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

I only run the Windows version -- but I agree with your general point:   Quicken under Intuit was getting worse and worse.   But, now that they are on their own it seems to be getting better and better.  They seem to be making a sincere effort to return the product to a high quality, reliable product.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

lkrupp said:
    Quicken for Mac is definitely much improved; my main complaint with it was there was no way to simply run it on more than one computer. I have an iMac and a MBP like to be able to use either machine. Every other program I’ve used will let you store your data on iCloud or Dropbox. Not so with quicken.

As far as direct downloads goes, that’s still a valid complaint. Having QFX exports is a huge improvement, but having to go to your phone, download and save the file, then go back to your computer, find the file and import it is still a pretty kludgy workflow. That seems like it would be GS and not Apple, so hopefully they will remedy it soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
    Apple seems pretty invested in the 100% iOS interface (which is maybe one reason it took them so long to support Quicken which doesn't run on iOS).   To do what you ask they would have to create Windows and Mac interfaces and, in my opinion, that's not in their plans.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    Is Mint interoperability on the horizon?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

lkrupp said:

Apple seems pretty invested in the 100% iOS interface (which is maybe one reason it took them so long to support Quicken which doesn't run on iOS).   To do what you ask they would have to create Windows and Mac interfaces and, in my opinion, that's not in their plans.
    QFS direct download is between the app and the bank. It has nothing to do with the operating system. Being able to access your data from your desktop computer would be nice, too, but not really necessary.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I supposed generating a file to allow import into Quicken might be useful. 

But, access to your transactions only at the end of a month?  

Since I rarely use cash, I track every financial transaction near real time -- this is not an accident. I suppose if you're making the big bucks, you don't have to care. 

I can't image not recording and checking every transaction but once per month, and still being able to place each transaction in the correct category and each transaction assigned a description. 
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 14 of 20
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

lkrupp said:

QFS direct download is between the app and the bank. It has nothing to do with the operating system. Being able to access your data from your desktop computer would be nice, too, but not really necessary.

I'm not getting what you're driving at: 
    Right now the interface and any downloads are on and to your phone.
    Quicken doesn't run on the phone.

No matter what format you download, CSV, QFX, QFS or XYZ you'll have to transfer it to your computer to get it into Quicken -- unless Apple builds a web based interface.  But, like i said, they seem pretty invested in keeping it solely on IOS - meaning you iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    larryjw said:

Since I rarely use cash, I track every financial transaction near real time -- this is not an accident. I suppose if you're making the big bucks, you don't have to care. 

I can't image not recording and checking every transaction but once per month, and still being able to place each transaction in the correct category and each transaction assigned a description. 

I get that and agree with that.
    But, for me an easier, better way is to turn on alerts / notifications so I get a text message almost immediately (with seconds or a few minutes) of any transaction.   I do that for all my cards, including the Apple Card and have caught 2 fraudulent transactions that way.

Then I enter the transaction into Quicken when I get home and, when my statement is released, download all the transaction so Quicken can match them to what I had entered.  Any that don't match means that I either forgot to enter them or something is wrong -- so they get scrutinized pretty closely.

I will not use a card that does not have both alerts and Quicken downloads (I restricted my AppleCard to only the few Apple transactions I make each month but have now made it my main card now that it can do Quicken downloads).
  • Reply 16 of 20
    PapaArtPapaArt Posts: 2member
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

I couldn’t disagree more — Q2020 Mac has become great!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    PapaArtPapaArt Posts: 2member
    larryjw said:

But, for me an easier, better way is to turn on alerts / notifications so I get a text message almost immediately (with seconds or a few minutes) of any transaction.   I do that for all my cards, including the Apple Card and have caught 2 fraudulent transactions that way.

Then I enter the transaction into Quicken when I get home and, when my statement is released, download all the transaction so Quicken can match them to what I had entered.  Any that don't match means that I either forgot to enter them or something is wrong -- so they get scrutinized pretty closely.

I will not use a card that does not have both alerts and Quicken downloads (I restricted my AppleCard to only the few Apple transactions I make each month but have now made it my main card now that it can do Quicken downloads).
    I enter each transaction into Quicken on my iPhone or iPad as soon as I make it (or receive the alert/notification). All such will then be synced to my Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    PapaArt said:
    larryjw said:

I enter each transaction into Quicken on my iPhone or iPad as soon as I make it (or receive the alert/notification). All such will then be synced to my Mac.

That's probably better.   I never activated the mobile portion because I didn't want them storing my data in the cloud.   For me, that's one of the big advantages of Quicken over the others -- you can keep (almost) everything on your own harddrive.   (But they do seem to store info about the financial institutions you interface with).

It's one of the reasons I always wished Apple would create their own version of Quicken -- I trust them more than others.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

lkrupp said:

No matter what format you download, CSV, QFX, QFS or XYZ you'll have to transfer it to your computer to get it into Quicken -- unless Apple builds a web based interface.  But, like i said, they seem pretty invested in keeping it solely on IOS - meaning you iPhone.
    When you use Quicken on a computer (Mac or PC,) it connects directly to the bank to download the transaction data. Going online (whether it be from an iPhone or a traditional computer) to download a QFX file is just an intermediate step. If quicken were to download the data it would do so from GS, not via an iPhone or via a MacOS interface. Think of a Discover card - Discover has an iPhone app, but you don’t need the app to download to Quicken.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    NYC362 said:
    Hallelujah!!  

lkrupp said:

When you use Quicken on a computer (Mac or PC,) it connects directly to the bank to download the transaction data. Going online (whether it be from an iPhone or a traditional computer) to download a QFX file is just an intermediate step. If quicken were to download the data it would do so from GS, not via an iPhone or via a MacOS interface. Think of a Discover card - Discover has an iPhone app, but you don’t need the app to download to Quicken.

I think I get what you're driving at:   Where Quicken can connect directly to the AppleCard @ GS in order to grab your data.  Yeh, that would be nice, but I don't think it will happen because Apple has built another walled garden with their iPhone interface and I don't think they're going to open that up.