Apple still mulling services bundle, iOS 13.5.5 code suggests

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Code discovered in the latest iOS 13.5.5 release suggests Apple is working to build out a bundle of its core for-pay services, Apple Music, Apple News+, Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade.

Apple TV

Files and code strings uncovered by 9to5Mac reveal references to a "bundle offer" and "bundle subscription" related to Apple's services management backend. While not directly attached to a specific product, like Apple Music, the language indicates Apple is considering a subscription services combo offer.

Exactly what Apple's bundle might look like is at this point unknown. The company currently fields four main subscription products in Apple Music, Apple News+, Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade. Apple Music and Apple News+ cost $9.99 a month for individuals, while Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade are priced at $4.99 a month. Discounts for each can be had through family and Family Sharing plans. Non-content service programs include Apple Care hardware support, which varies depending on device.

A potential bundle of two or more services would save consumers money and could boost adoption of less popular products.

Apple has long been rumored to be mulling a subscription bundle, though such a product has yet to materialize. A report in November claimed the company was close to striking deals with publishing partners that would enable the rollout of a subscription package sometime this year.

Most recently, however, a report in March noted newly signed deals with record labels effectively precludes Apple from launching a combined service in the near term. The tech giant reportedly informed music executives that it plans to combine its digital services under a bundle-style plan, but discussions on distribution rights are ongoing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    As someone who subscribes to three of the four services already, I would strongly consider a bundle deal ... but I'd like to have an enhanced iCloud storage option in the mix as well. 5GB isn't cutting it anymore for many people, and a bundle might entice people to jump to the 200GB tier much more easily, since the other options for possible subscription are very sharable. There would either need to be a discount on the article-mentioned services OR expanded iCloud storage thrown in before I'd take the bait.
    mike1tmaylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    “Mulling”

Enough of this nonsense. Apple doesn’t mull. The decision is taken at this point 
    edited June 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    chasm said:
    As someone who subscribes to three of the four services already, I would strongly consider a bundle deal ... but I'd like to have an enhanced iCloud storage option in the mix as well. 5GB isn't cutting it anymore for many people, and a bundle might entice people to jump to the 200GB tier much more easily, since the other options for possible subscription are very sharable. There would either need to be a discount on the article-mentioned services OR expanded iCloud storage thrown in before I'd take the bait.
    I'd consider the right bundle if it were priced right. Personally, I have no interest in News and might try Arcade. I already pay for Music and between me and my wife will likely qualify for free TV+ continuously if they keep that promo going. Extra iCloud storage might be a good value add.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    mike1 said:
    chasm said:
    I already pay for Music and between me and my wife will likely qualify for free TV+ continuously if they keep that promo going. Extra iCloud storage might be a good value add.
    I don't expect they will, but just based on a hunch. The benefits of an all-in-one subscription wouldn't make marketing sense to me if TV+ was being given away.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 5 of 9
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 683member
    I do the annual subscription for Music, and might do the same for Apple TV+, when the free year is up. Not paying for News and Arcade currently. Not interested in them at this time, but a bundle would get my interest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,293member
    chasm said:
    Apple does indeed need to fold in Cloud Storage, 200GB seems right, but otherwise, I expect that the bundle will be at a slight discount over the individual subscriptions. 

For me, the single payment is easier to keep track of. In the meantime, I'll wait on AppleTV+ as I already have Netflix, Prime, Acorn, and BritBox, the last two of which are paid via my Apple account.

Best future for me is that AT&T is close to running fiber into my shop, which is currently served by a pricey microwave link as broadband to my location is a pathetic 2.4 mbps down. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,968member
    Seems like a fairly obvious way to pull people into the Apple "ecosystem," which is, as always, a means to keep people buying Apple hardware.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I pay for the yearly subscription for Apple Music, currently have TV+ free. Sometimes I feel like I’d like News+ but most of it would be neo-liberal garbage. I’d like to have arcade but nothing pulled me in during my free trial. I have 200 gigs of iCloud. 

I feel like a TV, iCloud and arcade bundle would be easy to negotiate for them. News and Music make things messier. News would be a straight up cash gift to publishers. I’d honestly sooner be interested in a service that gave you credits to books than I would be in News. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I just hope they don't screw current subscribers like Verizon did when they started bundling Disney+. I also think they should offer bundles that include additional cloud storage. It wouldn't cost Apple much, but it would be an enticing incentive for those on the fence about signing up for Apple services.
    watto_cobra