Apple to launch in-store Mac trade-in program in U.S., Canada

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple plans to launch a Mac trade-in program at retail locations in the U.S. and Canada in June, according to a report on Tuesday.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The program will allow customers to trade in older Mac devices in return for credit toward a new purchase. While in-store trade-ins of products like iPhones and Apple Watches have been available for some time, Mac trade-ins were previously restricted to an online program.

According to Bloomberg, the program will be implemented at Apple retail locations in the U.S. on June 15 and at Canadian locations on June 18.

Customers who take advantage of the program will be able to apply the trade-in value of their computers toward a new purchase or cash it out for an Apple gift card.

The new trade-in option may be part of an effort to boost sales of Mac devices, since it does away with the previous hassle of needing to send in an older Mac via mail to receive credit toward a new device. With the program, users will be able to immediately apply that credit toward a new purchase in-store.

It will likely take some time to get off the ground, however. As of early June, many Apple Stores across the U.S. remain shuttered despite the company reopening locations internationally.

On Sunday, a separate report indicated that Apple was preparing to offer monthly installment payment plans for iPads, MacBooks and AirPods when purchased with an Apple Card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    That's convenient. Like the iPhone, I can probably make a little more selling to someone else, but the hassle isn't worth the effort most of the time.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I wish they had had the trade-in last year.  But better than never I suppose.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Glad to hear of this, but it will be too late for me to take advantage of it for my next purchase. But there's always next year ...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    "The new trade-in option may be part of an effort to boost sales of Mac devices"
    Maybe Apple should consider barriers by design to new hardware upgrades including 'onboard' storage and macOS support inflexibilities ?
    It's not rocket science - one can't even 'change the tires' on most macs any more... It seems ridiculous...
    Has insanely great become greatly insane within a decade ?
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    I trade in my iPad, Watch regularly and am in the phone upgrade program. Prices may not be quite as high as third-party trade in services but certainly is so much easier. No mailing, no waiting for checks etc. makes sense to include trading in Mac’s.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Apple quietly extending subscriptions to hardware, allowing them to resell last year’s models to more price-sensitive markets, or recycle older hardware for rare components.

• Reply 7 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    These trade-in programs are good.   And, to Apple's credit they've upgraded to program to account for upgraded products (my iPhone 6+ with extra storage was treated as a base model costing hundreds less).

But, it's still buyer beware:
    I paid $200 for a used 2014 MacBook Air for which I would get 66% ($130) of it back on a trade.   That's not a bad trade-in.
    I paid over $1,000 for new 2017 MacBook AIr with AppleCare+ for my grandson 6 months ago, upgraded it to a 500Gb drive, and it still has 2 1/2 years left on its AppleCare+ Coverage.   For that, I would receive less than a third of its value ($350).  That would be a very foolish trade-in.

No, I don't think Apple is trying to rip anybody off.    But, their program is based on generalizing the product being traded in -- and that may work for or against the customer.