my iphone 7 does everything except hear and speak on phone calls - help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar

I have an iphone 7, 3 years old. Everything works on the phone well except that when I make a call out, I cannot hear the person once connected, and they cannot hear me. The phone rings on incoming calls, but once I answer, I cannot hear the person calling, and they cannot hear me. Siri also does not hear me. However, the speakers work for videos on the internet and for voicemail. In other words, the phone does most everything but act as a phone. Diagnostics at the apple store say it is not a hardware issue. I have reloaded the software as if it were a new phone, and it worked for 24 hours then failed again.

I assume this is a software or OS issue, but Apple cannot diagnose it and cannot resolve it to make the phone work. The phone has 128 GB of memory and data services work fine, so I am not anxious to toss it out (Apple's suggestion).

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a resolution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lclevlclev Posts: 1member
    I had a similar issues with my Xs Max.  I could hear my own voice echo back when I talked but they could not hear me.  I could not hear them unless I used speaker phone.  I did everything including setting it up as new.  That worked for a few calls then back to the same issues.  My girlfriend had the same issue as you with her iPhone 7, But if she hangs up and recalls usually you can hear her and she can hear you.  She will not get anything done until that fix quits working.  

In my case I ended up calling Apple and they sent me a refurbished phone. I still had AppleCare+.  I have never figured out why I could play music, stream videos, listen to audio books, you name it - with no issues.  But make a call?  It has to be a problem with the phone's cellular connecting.  I am afraid you will need to replace the phone.